SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 06, 2002, 10:20 AM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Need help with chooseing retractable landing gear.

I'm building 2 planes.Both call for retracts. one plane is 57"w.s. and the other is 54"w.s. they should be about 5lbs each.i never had experiance with retracts either.Which is better mechanical or air? Which company is best to deal with?thanxs for any help.stefanP

Ghost rider requesting a fly by.......
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2002, 10:37 AM
United States, NJ, Manchester Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,058 Posts
I strongly recommend air vs. mechanical, as air is more reliable. The setup for mechanical is time consuming and then one bad landing and they are jammed. Although mechanical are cheaper by far, air retracts will operate more smoothly and give you more flying time(less repairs).
For companies, I use Spring Air and Robart. Spring Air makes a very small air retract and you can talk to the man who makes them if you need a special job done. Robart also makes very good retracts and are used by quite a few master builders and flyers.
I have used both mech. and air with mech. having more of my vocabulary put to use!
Dorme is offline Find More Posts by Dorme