SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 12, 2004, 12:58 AM
Just Keeping UP
United States, ID, Moyie Springs
Joined May 2004
1,771 Posts
Beech Staggerwing Design / Build

At Martin Hunter's suggestion, I'm starting this thread about the Beech Staggerwing that I'm designing and building. The wing span will be 35" and the overall length will be about 30". Feel free to ask questions, make suggestions, or provide encouragement. Below is my drawing as I write this (I'm changing things constantly).
nfhill is offline Find More Posts by nfhill
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2004, 01:17 AM
Just Keeping UP
Joined May 2004
1,771 Posts
Here's my progress for today. I'm adjusting Frame shapes and stringer locations. That means the pretty drawing above is being changed constantly!
Old May 12, 2004, 01:20 AM
Just Keeping UP
Joined May 2004
1,771 Posts
Sorry, I had to reduce the file size!
Old May 12, 2004, 04:32 AM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis
Aberdeen, Scotland
Joined Jul 2003
6,956 Posts
very nice nfhill, i look forward to seeing this one progress as the C17 is one of my favourite bipes

phil
Happy|Harry is offline Find More Posts by Happy|Harry
Old May 12, 2004, 08:55 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Nick, keep those pics coming. 35" should be a fantastic size to add retracts and flaps if you so desire - do you? I love the Staggerwing. I actually have a set of Cleveland plans for one that I just need a bit of time to dig into.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old May 12, 2004, 12:02 PM
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,352 Posts
Hi Nick,

Awesome stuff! I love the Staggerwing too...the Learjet of the 1930s. I'll be following your thread with great interest. Let me know if you will eventually sell a set of plans.

What are your plans for power? Ailerons in lower wing, or upper & lower? Do you have a feel for, or target for AUW? A 35" span is about the perfect size for me...I'd use a Razor 400 and 3s1p 1200 lipos.

Thanks.

--Doug
dk944s2 is offline Find More Posts by dk944s2
Last edited by dk944s2; May 12, 2004 at 12:14 PM.
Old May 12, 2004, 01:02 PM
Colorado Front Range, USA, EARTH, Sol system, Milkyway Galaxy
Joined Nov 2001
2,356 Posts
Looks great so far.

The staggerwing is by far my favorite bipe.

Notice my avitar.
The Other Dave is offline Find More Posts by The Other Dave
Old May 12, 2004, 05:51 PM
Just Keeping UP
Joined May 2004
1,771 Posts
Phil, thanks for the kind words!

Martin, I'd be glad to incorporate flaps and retracts into the design. Flaps should be relatively easy, but the retracts will require some clever design. The gear legs are close to the LE of the wing so I suspect a standard design will not fit. My design is based on scaling up a 15 1/2" WS Dumas model and a 3-view Dumas provided on their plans. Flaps are not shown. Perhaps you could refer to your Cleveland plans (probably a better starting point than the Dumas model) and provide me the needed information on their location and size: one wing or both wings, span, chord, etc..

Nick
Old May 12, 2004, 09:33 PM
Just Keeping UP
Joined May 2004
1,771 Posts
Well, I did some more research today and have determined the location and plan view of both the flaps and ailerons: ailerons on top wing, flaps on bottom wing, same plan view. I also found a picture of a tube model of the gear retract mechanism. It's very simple and I may be able to design and construct a nearly scale mechanism.

As an aside, wheels up landings are actually completely scale. A C17B SN110 had skids installed on the bottom so the factory could demonstrate the safety of wheels up landings.

I also found out that the Staggerwing was metal sheeted to the TE of the top wing. Now I have to decide if I should sheet the model in the same area.?

Nick
Old May 12, 2004, 10:48 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Nick, I've got some kick butt 3-views of the Staggerwing. Email me and I'll reply with them. That reminds me - someone else asked for them too (or was it you?) so I'll send those out now too

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old May 13, 2004, 05:17 AM
United States, NY, Dutchess
Joined Jun 2002
652 Posts
That looks awesome. My favorite plane without a doubt. Keep up the good

Please keep in mind that there are many of us (especially me) that would be interested in plans and/or a kit

Rob
robs is offline Find More Posts by robs
Old May 13, 2004, 10:03 PM
Just Keeping UP
Joined May 2004
1,771 Posts
Rob, thanks for the kind words. Please keep in mind that I'm very early in the design stage. The assembly in the picture may never fly. Its primary purpose is to work out design issues that I can't do in my 2D cad system. It seems like every time I look at the assembly I see the need for another change!

Nick
Old May 14, 2004, 11:41 AM
Central Texas
Joined Jan 2002
377 Posts
Hey Nick, I want to commend you for taking the initiative in doing what I did… designing your own. I searched the world over looking for something that looked like a Beechcraft Duchess… nothing, so designed one myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfhill
… Below is my drawing as I write this (I'm changing things constantly).
Yep.

Quote:
… I'm adjusting Frame shapes and stringer locations. That means the pretty drawing above is being changed constantly!
Yep.

Quote:
… Martin, I'd be glad to incorporate flaps and retracts into the design. Flaps should be relatively easy, but the retracts will require some clever design…
Yep, yep.

Quote:
… Please keep in mind that I'm very early in the design stage. The assembly in the picture may never fly. Its primary purpose is to work out design issues that I can't do in my 2D cad system. It seems like every time I look at the assembly I see the need for another change!

Nick

Hey Nick, I have a few recommendations. First of all it is possible to work out all of your design issues with your 2D CAD system before cutting parts. It may be hard to believe but it really will save time and money in the long run.

As you progress you’ll find that things (associated parts) change as the overall design takes shape. Do as much of the design as possible in CAD and understand how each part fits or interacts with each other.

Check and recheck their fits especially when you get to the retract design. Look at this process as “the fun part” too. It’s easier to edit on your PC than break-out, cut-out, re-cut and re-glue new parts. When you do start to cut out your parts, you’ll find that it goes quite quickly. Make them as accurately as you can and the whole assembly will come together easier and be lighter too.

Last but not least, don’t quit!

Good Luck,
-LL
Lefty and Leroy is offline Find More Posts by Lefty and Leroy
Old May 15, 2004, 12:56 AM
Just Keeping UP
Joined May 2004
1,771 Posts
I received Martin's 3-views today: He wasn't exaggerating when he said they 'kick butt'. I now have access to everything I could possibly need to build a perfect scale model. I did spend some time wondering if I should start over! After more time reviewing the drawings, I've decided that I've done good enough for now except for the cowling. This will be easy to change without changing anything that I've already built. And I will use Martin's 3-views to add some more easy scale detail.

L & L, I've seen your Duchess thread. It's a very nice model! I'm sure there will be some kits sold once it gets into production. I probably could have found more of the surface 'flow' problems by more extensive minipulation of the drawing, but I just chose to build the assembly. It didn't take much time or money to do so and it helped to find even the simple drafting errors! Also, so far, I can continue to use the assembly by modifying the frames in place.

Nick
Old May 20, 2004, 09:04 PM
Just Keeping UP
Joined May 2004
1,771 Posts
Just thought I'd post an update. Design and developement is continuing. Here is a new picture of the assembly from the right side.

I've also been giving alot of thought to how to install retracting landing gear. Here is a sketch of what I've come up with so far. Now all I have to do is figure out a way to get over 4" of linear movement to drive it with!

I hope these two pictures show up: I linked them from my web site.

Nick
Last edited by nfhill; May 20, 2004 at 09:09 PM.