HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2002, 05:09 AM
Japan
Joined Jan 2002
51 Posts
Best Indoor Heli ???

I know that the following type of question usually yeilds biased opinions from individuals dedicated to one product or another, but here goes! For exclusive indoor (house) flying, which small heli is best suited? I've got three nitro's for outside, thought I'd give the indoor stuff a shot!

THX, Randy
RandyD is offline Find More Posts by RandyD
Last edited by RandyD; Jan 06, 2002 at 05:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2002, 06:25 AM
Joined Nov 2001
7 Posts
Hi Randy

If you are talking strictly for indoor flying, I guess the piccolo will be the best bet. With its lower head speed, it is more friendlier to fly in the house. The hornet will do just as well, but what i heard is that the hornet is better suited outdoors. I owned a piccolo myself and it performs great indoors. It will fly great outdoors with some modification (or converting to CP), but the feeling of confidence is not there when I fly it outside.

Both have their ups and downs. I will definitely get a hornet when the CP version comes out. But for indoor flying, the piccolo is the one to go for.

Alvin
alvinC is offline Find More Posts by alvinC
Old Jan 06, 2002, 01:31 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
For indoor flying I would suggest either the MIA Housefly or the piccolo. I can't say "absolutly" yet on the housefly as mine is waiting for it's first flight, but from all external apperances it appears to be the ultimate indoor heli. The piccolo is also good for indoors as it is bounceable. Assuming the MIA housefly actually does fly (there is no reason not to) I'd say it is the best indoor flyer because of its small size and ultra light weight. The piccolo is already proven to be a good flyer, but it is bigger, heavier, and more expensive than the Housefly.

I do not suggest the Hornet for indoor flight. It's a great heli that certainly can be flown indoors, but it's a little to poweful for my and my furnitures taste.

-Jim
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
Old Jan 06, 2002, 02:10 PM
I'd rather be flying!
SOCAL
Joined May 2001
274 Posts
i agree, it would be either the piccolo or the house fly.

the house fly is a newer design and it is smaller and lighter=less damage to the house.

the piccolo does now have a collective pitch upgrade available if you want to upgrade the house fly will have one too but no body knows when

some advice for both: when you take off don't be afraid to punch the throttle. these helis have a very bad ground effect and when they get light they REALLY want to move to the left. so take them up to one foot atleast right away from there they fly great.

they will be lots of fun but when u get used to them it is weird going back to cp gass ships.
Antyoo is offline Find More Posts by Antyoo
Old Jan 06, 2002, 02:37 PM
Japan
Joined Jan 2002
51 Posts
Best Indoor Heli

Thanks guys! I ordered the complete Piccolo set up from HL a few days ago. Looking forward to chasing the ole lady around the house with it.

Sayonara, Randy
Old Jan 06, 2002, 03:06 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Jun 2001
907 Posts
Ya i think you made the right choice about the piccolo. I love my hornet but i think the pic is a little more durable.
JStory is offline Find More Posts by JStory
Old Jan 06, 2002, 08:03 PM
-Flight enthusiast_
Lake Louise, AB, Canada
Joined Feb 2000
3,561 Posts
Hi Randy,

The Piccolo is a fine choice.

Out of the box, I've found the Hornet to be so much easier to set up, control (and get consistant performance) compared to my own Piccolo and the Robin 280, that I rarely crash it indoors! When I fly it in my living room, it must climb the first few feet in a 4' x 6' area between the computer desk, building bench, and couch. I have done this about 75 times without touching anything. Most of the time I fly off my bed though. I think that an experienced flier like yourself should also consider the Hornet. If anyone making this decision would like a 1 minute 3.5 meg (small size) QT video of me flying my Hornet (when it was new and box-stock) out of that small space and visiting the digital still camera "doing video" on top of my wife's computer monitor, just ask via email in the next couple of days.

Cheers!

Glen
gpeden is offline Find More Posts by gpeden
Old Jan 06, 2002, 08:34 PM
TeamTP,Minicopter,Spartan
Mississippi 31 years , Now Kotzebue , Alaska 12
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
hey , send a copy my way, Glen

Thanks alot , and I would suggest the same too , dont count out the hornet , Tony
misskimo is offline Find More Posts by misskimo
Old Jan 06, 2002, 09:20 PM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
Great question. I have been researching and waiting for the perfect first indoor heli. I almost bought a piccolo but I saw too many for sale on Ebay that said "crashed but repaired". They all had every mod possible. It seems as though the pic is very difficult to fly so everyone is getting rid of theirs. I am very close to purchasing the housefly but I can't find anyone who has flown one to give a quick evaluation. Anyone?
Spaulding is offline Find More Posts by Spaulding
Old Jan 06, 2002, 09:41 PM
-Flight enthusiast_
Lake Louise, AB, Canada
Joined Feb 2000
3,561 Posts
OK, anyone who wants this video (not great, but shows the flight described), please send me an email at gpeden{at}telusplanet.net and I will send out the 3.5 meg atachment hopefully only once in a couple of days.

Cheers!

Glen
gpeden is offline Find More Posts by gpeden
Old Jan 07, 2002, 12:52 PM
Columbia, MO USA
Joined Feb 2001
715 Posts
If you want, send it to me at par7373@parkfliers.net and I'll host it for you.
VWtechie is offline Find More Posts by VWtechie
Old Jan 09, 2002, 01:30 PM
Stevenage, UK
Joined Jan 2002
47 Posts
Randy,

The Piccolo is a good choice. I have never flown helicopters before and purchased mine in March 2001, following advice on the Piccolo BBs http://www.ikarus-modellbau.de/cgi-forum/Ultimate.cgi

The learning curve is steep if you have never flown helis before, but after six months of practicing I am able to hover a complete battery pack out. The Pic is very durable, and most crashes (sorry heavy landings) can be repaired with a drop of CA and a length of carbon rod ! It is this that makes the Pic an ideal beginners helicopter. If I was learning with a larger heli I probably be put off by the expense of the repair bills.

For more info on the Piccolo check out my home page

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/malcolm.crabbe

Regards

Malcolm
Malcolm is offline Find More Posts by Malcolm
Old Jan 11, 2002, 11:04 AM
Warrington, UK
Joined Sep 2001
61 Posts
By indoor do you mean in a large open gym/warehouse space or inside your house? After seeing the piccolo in my local shop I sure wouldn't want to risk inflicting that much damage on my interior furnishings. I chose the hoverfly to spend the winter learning the basics. It causes little if no damage when I hit things (which thankfully is becoming less common experience!!) I shudder to think what the piccolo would do to the same walls, lamps, and tables............

(yeh yeh - I know the hoverfly is tethered and "ain't real" but it has a reputation for being a good learning tool and cheap to repair - all I've ever had to do is buy new props)
ukbuckeye is offline Find More Posts by ukbuckeye
Old Jan 11, 2002, 02:38 PM
Japan
Joined Jan 2002
51 Posts
ukBuckeye,

Yes, I'll be flying in the house. AND, I have one other factor to consider other than furniture and walls. Since I live in Japan my house has rice paper siding partition doors in one of my living rooms (very large house). Not to worry though, according to my lease agreement all the rice paper has to be replaced upon my departure anyway.

I'll be sure to post a picture of the Piccolo hovering next to the rice paper doors when I get it finished.

No problem with the Hoverfly! As long as you're having fun that's all that matters!

Sayonara, Randy
Old Jan 12, 2002, 05:12 AM
Stevenage, UK
Joined Jan 2002
47 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the hoverfly, infact it was watching a demonstration of this little helicopter that got me interested in the micro heli hobby. Whilst the Piccolo can be flown in a small room (12 feet x 12 feet), you need to be a seasoned pilot to do so, otherwise the fittings in your house tends to take the odd knock (those paper partitions would not last long )

A group of us meet up on a regular basis and hire a local hall and fly there. Not only does this allow us to improve our flying skills, but also makes a nice social event
Malcolm is offline Find More Posts by Malcolm