HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2004, 05:09 PM
a man of constant sorrow
D.C.
Joined May 2004
2 Posts
I flew...I actually flew

I flew for the very first time today after about twelve years of being close. usual story the big .60 piper cub i was making when I was 13 lost the fight to beer and girls and never flew, various half baked foam things that broke-on-test-toss, and most recently a firebird knockoff that came with the different channels in the plane and trans( the company said thats immpossible because there boxed at the factory). and this whole time i've been obbsesed with r/c planes, buying magazines and looking on the net ever since that first piper kit. Now things are different, right around the time I discovered the firebird would never be...Tax return!!!yaaaaaay. I went headlong into a shopping spree that left me with a Hitec eclipse, NES Wendy, Hobby-lobby Zip-Tip, and another full house micro flight pack for homemade things. The wendy is in the closet until better flying abilities and the zip is wating for better weather. In the mean time I cut down the wing on the firebird and made a 34"span DLG, AUW 5oz and flew it for two hours after work today. My best flight being about tree figure 8s before actually catching it. I learned a ton, like Hi-starts are really bad for planes if they dont unhook, it was an absolute dead straight nose dive into dry hard D.C. Dirtgrass from 75 feet of hi-start. it broke loose both servos and ruined the good looks of the solite covered balsa fuse but thats it. It's way sturdier than I ever thought it would be. I gave up on the hi-start after that and stuck SAL. The day ended when I failed to notice the battery unhooked after a rather rough landing and it went up and then down tearing up the stab, an easy fix and i definatly have the dlg bug. till next time thanks to all who post here and kept up my interest through the years.-Maxwell
myakush is offline Find More Posts by myakush
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2004, 07:16 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Coral Springs FL
Joined May 2002
675 Posts
First successful flights

Quote:
Originally Posted by myakush
I flew for the very first time today after about twelve years of being close. -Maxwell
myakush

Hunt for a local club to help you. I know of no other hobby with so many friendly people who go so far out of their way to help others join in thier fun!

I'm sure there is a local group that would love to "take you under their wing" and help you learn how to fly well. It is great that you finally flew, but there are many people that would love to help you take the next steps to flying well.

Good luck and enjoy this wonderful hobby. Congratulations on your first flight. It is always something to remember!

Radian
Radian is offline Find More Posts by Radian
Old May 12, 2004, 10:47 AM
a man of constant sorrow
D.C.
Joined May 2004
2 Posts
By the way does anyone fly in the d.c. area at a place that is metro accessible. I have no car(city dweller) and i cant really find anything good if you know of anything that would be great. thanks-Maxwell
myakush is offline Find More Posts by myakush
Old May 12, 2004, 11:04 AM
Dirt a.k.a. Tom
Kent, WA
Joined Mar 2004
679 Posts
welcome back Myakush

It sounds like you might be looking for some real portability for flying. There are many models to choose from here and if you enjoy the SAL/DLG componant, you might want to look at the Seeker and Red Herring from http://www.liftworx.com

Both are very portable, great fliers and don't need a tremendous amount of space to fly.
Master_Dirt is offline Find More Posts by Master_Dirt
Old May 12, 2004, 11:57 AM
Fort Wayne, IN
Joined May 2002
1,694 Posts
Quote:
By the way does anyone fly in the d.c. area at a place that is metro accessible. I have no car(city dweller) and i cant really find anything good if you know of anything that would be great. thanks-Maxwell
I have flown kites on the Mall but that was before 9/11. If you try and fly on the Mall leave your turban at home.

John.
jrgospod is offline Find More Posts by jrgospod
Old May 12, 2004, 03:19 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Coral Springs FL
Joined May 2002
675 Posts
Quote:

Check with these guys. They can probably get you in touch with some local glider guiders....

http://www.dc-rc.org/

Radian
Radian is offline Find More Posts by Radian