HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2004, 02:27 PM
ViruTs
Denver
Joined Mar 2004
773 Posts
covering or glassing on GWs planes

Covering or glassing .What do you thing is the best in terms strenght/added weight on gws planes?
It seems to me that covering with something like ekonocote would be easier and probable less added weight. But I am not sure bcause I have never glassed before.
submarco is offline Find More Posts by submarco
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2004, 03:19 PM
ARF Hater Club
Toronto, Ontario
Joined May 2004
2,660 Posts
The glass will be heavier but it will be alot stronger
best to glass if you have a brushless for hi power 3s performance
It is possible to cover the foam in a cove: monokote,etc
use Nelson Litefilm/ aka solite for lighter weight
tommyeflight89 is offline Find More Posts by tommyeflight89
Old May 11, 2004, 03:31 PM
ViruTs
Denver
Joined Mar 2004
773 Posts
since the glassing its way heavier than covering , don`t you think that a good compromise between the two is somethinng like eknocote? I mean its defenetively heavier than solite but it is also mush stronger
Old May 11, 2004, 03:45 PM
Insert clever remark here
Lubbock, Texas, United States
Joined May 2004
6 Posts
Good Threads to Read

Submarco,

Here are two threads that you should follow.

The first one is from the GWS forum regarding glassing their planes.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8&page=1&pp=15

The second one is an excellent step-by-step process of finishing any foam plane with glass by J Morgan. (required reading in my book)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=minwax

As for weight, J states that glass, poly, and paint should not add more that 3 oz overall.

Hope this helps.
crash_raider is offline Find More Posts by crash_raider
Old May 11, 2004, 04:15 PM
ViruTs
Denver
Joined Mar 2004
773 Posts
thanks crashraider I gonna have a look them right now
Old May 11, 2004, 07:03 PM
CO of The Flying Circus
wind and rain,Oregon
Joined Jul 2002
1,519 Posts
It's just my opinion but I don't know why you would want to cover your GWS plane to start with. I have four different GWS planes (out of nine planes I own and fly) and even though they don't have the highest quality finish, they look good in the air. Parkflyers are usually so small you don't see alot of detail when they are flying anyway, and small models need to be kept as light as possible to fly good. So far all of my GWS planes have proven to be very durable and can take quite a beating before they break, so unless you are a really inexperienced pilot, durability shouldn't be a factor in deciding to cover one. If you want a really nice looking bird get one of the Alfa kits. I won't buy one because of their price (and I am perfectly happy with my GWS planes since they are just "park beaters" that I fly when I don't want to drag one of my giant scale gassers or a slimer out to the club field) but if you want a shiny finish without all of the little foam beads showing up the Alfa kits have a much better finish.

If you already have the GWS plane and just want to make it "prettier" then Econokote work well on foam since it shrinks at a lower temperature than most other "Iron on" film coverings. But it will add a considerable amount of weight so unless you are prepared to go to a brushless motor or a 3s Li-Poly pack I think you will be disappointed in the way your plane flies after adding the extra weight of the covering.
The Blue Max is offline Find More Posts by The Blue Max
Old May 12, 2004, 05:56 AM
Future NFL Champs
High Ridge, Mo USA
Joined May 2002
1,657 Posts
Max,

Generally speaking, the planes appearence only counts when it's in the air. However, I have found at my field that no one pays attention to my electrics until after I land. Once they see it scream around the sky w/ a Razor 2500 and Tanic 3S 2200 they want to see it up close... and handle it with their own hands
Fiasco is offline Find More Posts by Fiasco