Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by SoarNeck, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 31, 2011, 06:36 AM
France
Joined May 2006
657 Posts
The point of the silicon plug is to act as an inflation bladder ?

As i understand it ; you put the silicon plug into the mold , to press the layup to the mold wall ?
vulpina is offline Find More Posts by vulpina
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2011, 07:40 PM
Let's find some thermals!
United States, OR, Silverton
Joined Nov 2008
890 Posts
subscribed, great info here.
seaspb is online now Find More Posts by seaspb
Old Aug 17, 2011, 03:37 AM
Joined Mar 2010
437 Posts
Hi, i am quite new to rc model building. Recently I joined a team of UAV makers where I am taking part it fuselage building. But unfortunately I know nothing about fiberglass oulding which will be required. Can anyone help me by leading me to resources where I can learn step by step with pictorial teaching? Thanks
ferdous7466 is offline Find More Posts by ferdous7466
Old Aug 17, 2011, 03:03 PM
Registered DLG addict
Minnesota
Joined Jan 2009
1,080 Posts
B-1 bob, step by step molding videos on you tube. You may have to search a while to find a video on one were he starts a plug, but when you do you will be glad you waited.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hornitpi.../3/gvRHa2lcve4

http://www.b1modelproject.com/
NighthawkF-117 is offline Find More Posts by NighthawkF-117
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:21 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,124 Posts
I have a general question for all you fabricators out there:

I have a cowl that is a bit ugly and worn and I wanted a new one. I am beginning to take more of an interest in fabrication and was considering molding my existing cowl and making a new one Vs. buying one new/direct for $30

In regards to what kind of expectations I should have, what would one expect to spend on materials to mold and fabricate a new cowl? How much time should I expect to spend (considering it may take me several tries before I am satisfied)?

Yes, there is the immediate gratification of just buying the cowl direct and installing it; but I think this could be a nice learning experience for me to learn a few new building techniques.

The plane I have been referring to is a Precision Aerobatics Addiction-X that I affectionately refer to as "Burned Retina" 501 LEDs installed internally+ Solid white covering
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 25, 2011, 11:14 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2007
3,580 Posts
It'll take about three times more materials than you expect, and about 10 times longer!

It depends on how much stuff you have lying around. Do you have any composite materials already? Things like wax, pva, cabosil etc cost peanuts per part as they last forever, but when you first get into it, they can easily cost many times the cowl...
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:50 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,124 Posts
Thanks Odysis, I have nothing and am starting from scratch. What would you consider to be the items I need to have on my shopping list?

Thanks!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2011, 05:01 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2007
3,580 Posts
Plug: Something to carve from (foam/MDF), or the original cowl.
2 pack paint. I get mine from the local car paint joint. 1 pack doesn't release well, or at all...
Polish
Wax - silicone free. Get it from your composite store
PVA. Not the glue, the mould release. Again, composite store.

Mould: Surface coat. Either buy this, or make it. Adam has a great recipe, from memory resin, west 403 filler and carbon dust.
Carbon tow for the corners and to strengthen the mould
Light glass. I use 3/4oz, but you can get away with heavier. Enough for 1 layer
Heavy glass. 4oz, 6oz, something like that. Enough for about 10x more than the part will be

Part: Glass, resin. You should have them left over from the mould.

Other things you'll probably find useful: Microballoons, gloves, cabosil, gloves, patience, gloves. Have a read of Adam's excellent moulding threads. You don't need to worry about the recent inflation bladder work, but the general idea is always the same. You'll notice a pattern in everyone's threads - follow that and you can't go too far wrong!

Good luck - it's addictive
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Dec 28, 2011, 02:01 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,124 Posts
Thanks Ody!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2013, 02:57 PM
USA, NY, Cedarhurst
Joined Mar 2010
1,009 Posts
Anybody know of a good thread or resource for bladder molding? I have been doing a lot of reading over the past few days but have not come across the steps needed to make a mold for use with a bladder. I'm guessing that the initial process is similar, but then there has to be some sort of casting/resin to create a solid block on top of your typical fiberglass mold. Just a guess though, any information is appreciated as I'm new to mold making.
vicovaludemero is offline Find More Posts by vicovaludemero
Old Sep 19, 2013, 04:04 PM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,052 Posts
Look up Wyoming Wind Works. Adam has a couple vidoes on vimeo that cover the process fairly well. Of I can get to my comouter later I will try to post a link.
plane_tech is online now Find More Posts by plane_tech
Old Sep 19, 2013, 05:44 PM
USA, NY, Cedarhurst
Joined Mar 2010
1,009 Posts
Found them... but looks like just a preview to a DVD 'how to'. I would totally get the DVD set if I could find it...
Old Sep 19, 2013, 08:08 PM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,052 Posts
Making an Inflation Bladder for Assisted Composite Part Fabrication (13 min 49 sec)
plane_tech is online now Find More Posts by plane_tech
Old Sep 19, 2013, 08:34 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicovaludemero View Post
Anybody know of a good thread or resource for bladder molding? I have been doing a lot of reading over the past few days but have not come across the steps needed to make a mold for use with a bladder. I'm guessing that the initial process is similar, but then there has to be some sort of casting/resin to create a solid block on top of your typical fiberglass mold. Just a guess though, any information is appreciated as I'm new to mold making.

See this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1514414

And this video:

Layup of The Wyoming Wind Works DLG Fuselage - Economy (11 min 1 sec)
wyowindworks is online now Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Old Sep 20, 2013, 08:58 AM
USA, NY, Cedarhurst
Joined Mar 2010
1,009 Posts
Thank you sir, you are the man! That is exactly what I was looking for...

Would you mind if I PMed you a few questions when the time comes? If I need to that is, as I am doing A LOT of research before I start buying anything up.