Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 10, 2004, 09:42 AM
Newbie Emeritus
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Nov 2002
165 Posts
Question
How Do I Set Up My Zoom 400 with Phoenix 25?

I've been slowly getting my Zoom 400 ready for action. Right out of the box I installed a Himaxx 2025-4200 with an 8T pinion. I'll be using a Castle Creations Phoenix 25 ESC and TP 1320 11.1V LiPoly.

I've seen a few posts stating to set the throttle curves at 85% for every point except for the "idle" point. Is this the best way to set it up? How do I configure the governor mode? Are there step-by-step instructions out there anywhere? I've read through the ESC instructions a few times, but they read like stereo instructions to me and there aren't many heli-specific setup tips.

These might seem like dumb questions, but I'm new to electrics and brushless motors. Well, I do have a FP Hummingbird, but there is no setup required for the throttle.
BimmerM3 is offline Find More Posts by BimmerM3
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2004, 06:41 PM
las vegas nevada
Joined May 2004
7 Posts
Castle Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerM3
I've been slowly getting my Zoom 400 ready for action. Right out of the box I installed a Himaxx 2025-4200 with an 8T pinion. I'll be using a Castle Creations Phoenix 25 ESC and TP 1320 11.1V LiPoly.

I've seen a few posts stating to set the throttle curves at 85% for every point except for the "idle" point. Is this the best way to set it up? How do I configure the governor mode? Are there step-by-step instructions out there anywhere? I've read through the ESC instructions a few times, but they read like stereo instructions to me and there aren't many heli-specific setup tips.

These might seem like dumb questions, but I'm new to electrics and brushless motors. Well, I do have a FP Hummingbird, but there is no setup required for the throttle.
bimmer= this setup works for me on c.c. 25 esc. no cutoff voltage,no brake,auto calibrate throttle.no govenor. soft cutoff... I am flying with AIRTRONICS RD 6000 SUPER normal mode set at 5%-45%-75%-90%-100% mode 1 at 85% flat curve. mode 2 at 100% flat curve. mode 3 as throttle cut. some guys may set up a little diffrent but this works really good for me. am running KONTRONIC 400-23 with 12 tooth pinion,driving tail off lower side of gear. flipped tail gear to other side of shaft.......IT ROCKS
funtfly is offline Find More Posts by funtfly
Old May 10, 2004, 07:02 PM
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,846 Posts
What are your pitch curves?
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Site Sponsor
Old May 10, 2004, 07:15 PM
las vegas nevada
Joined May 2004
7 Posts
pitch curve -7 = +4= +10 havent been inverted yet but it climbs like a hotliner!!!!!!
Old May 11, 2004, 08:59 AM
Newbie Emeritus
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Nov 2002
165 Posts
How do you set it for no low voltage cutoff? I can set mine to one of several cutoff levels, but there isn't an option to turn it off completely. Am I missing something?

And what do you mean by "flipping the tail gear"?
Old May 11, 2004, 10:37 AM
silent flight
South Wales UK
Joined May 2002
1,577 Posts
And what do you mean by "flipping the tail gear"?

You flip the tail gear if you wish to use a short pinion on the motor. The motor pinion engages the tail input gear at the lower point instead of on top. Flipping the gear corrects the tail rotor direction. Some, including me flipped the whole tail assy over to the other side of the boom but this isn't nessesary as pointed out by Matt at Protech, you only need to flip the white plastic gear in the tail housing, the tail rotor then stays on the original side and tail rotor rotates in the correct direction.

Hope that makes sense

Mike_Y
Mike_Y is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Y
Old May 11, 2004, 10:45 AM
Newbie Emeritus
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Nov 2002
165 Posts
Oh, okay, I get it now. You are flipping the gear in the tail box to correct the reversed rotation caused by driving the gear at the front from the bottom instead of the top.

I just stacked two pinion gears and drive the tail normally. But it's nice to know I have an option if I have trouble with the double gears.
Old May 11, 2004, 08:46 PM
las vegas nevada
Joined May 2004
7 Posts
BIMMER= I use a PHX-LINK to set up all my CASTLE controls. if you have new ver. of controller. am running cc45 in my all alum. echo-8 and cc 80 in my e-raptor . tried them all and found CASTLE to be the best warranty/upgrades of any mfg. I espec. like the idea you can set your spool up time,really easy on the e-raptor gears