HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2002, 03:16 PM
United States, OH, Dublin
Joined Sep 2001
453 Posts
Building your own gearbox?

Does anybody know where i can obtin some gears to build my own GB? i need at least some 2 and 3mm pinion gears.

thanks
keith
pohlmeyr is offline Find More Posts by pohlmeyr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2002, 08:09 PM
Aloha, Oregon in the Good 'ol USofA
Joined Mar 2000
147 Posts
Try this: http://www.smallparts.com/

R/L
rlinscheid is offline Find More Posts by rlinscheid
Old Jan 06, 2002, 02:08 PM
Florida
Joined Oct 2001
178 Posts
I have asked this question several times in the past month or two, and no one seems to respond at all. I don't know if it has ever been done before. I think the GB's available are limited in ratio and most are of marginal durability. So, if you find instruction, materials or supplies, please let me know.
I thought, since I don't have a machine shop, fiberglass or plex could hold it together. RC car pinions and gears would work for the gears and they're cheap, with unlimited ratios. The prop shaft connection to the spur gear is the only hang up. Let me know what you come up with.
Thanks,
Rick
rsieminski is offline Find More Posts by rsieminski
Old Jan 06, 2002, 02:47 PM
United States, OH, Dublin
Joined Sep 2001
453 Posts
rsieminski,

if you go and look on the parflyer forum there is some more info. there. I also posted this question there.

-keith
pohlmeyr is offline Find More Posts by pohlmeyr
Old Jan 06, 2002, 04:54 PM
Joined Mar 2001
2,624 Posts
You guys are right - there is no one comprehensive source for parts for homemade gearboxes. www.homefly.com and www.toddsmodels.com are two sources of small gears and bearings. You can get hardened 2mm shafts and 8T metal pinions for 2mm shafts from www.hobbypeople.net. Here are a couple of boxes I came up with, but they both relied in part on machined aluminum pieces, either from a friend, or another gearbox.

Tony Turley
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old Jan 06, 2002, 05:03 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
I've got a couple of images of home made boxes that were made with the pivot from the read-write head arm of hard drives, (man, I got a find an easier description!)
I'll try to post two but the 'Zone doesn't usually allow two images with one post.
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Last edited by Looooeeee!; Feb 26, 2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old Jan 06, 2002, 05:10 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
more...
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Last edited by Looooeeee!; Feb 26, 2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old Jan 06, 2002, 11:38 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2000
93 Posts
The best site I've found for gears and pulleys is http://www.sdp-si.com/. They've got a good selection and ship quickly.

Dave
Dave_Y is offline Find More Posts by Dave_Y
Old Jan 06, 2002, 11:48 PM
Boulder Municipal, Colorado, United States
Joined Sep 2001
242 Posts
Try your LHS, and ask to see the gears for RC cars and trucks. I know they sell gears and bearings in our size, depending on what ratio you want. I also thought about making a belt drive. I think the hardest part will be the box to mount you gears/belts into.
iflyelectric is offline Find More Posts by iflyelectric
Old Jan 07, 2002, 11:28 PM
Florida
Joined Oct 2001
178 Posts
Any ideas on how to mount the spur gear of a car to a small enough shaft? They have a huge hole in them.

Rick
Old Jan 08, 2002, 12:25 AM
Joined Sep 2001
242 Posts
The pinions I was looking at would fit a Mag. Mayhem. I think they were from Traxxas, and were in the 20-23 tooth range. As far as the spurs, I am lucky enough to have my own lathe, so I could just machine a shaft that would fit.
Old Jan 08, 2002, 07:52 AM
Florida
Joined Oct 2001
178 Posts
Perfect ~$4 each for pinion and spur (you could even use the quiet 32 pitch) ~3 for screws and plex at Home d. and a milled shaft courtesy of iflyelectric. An infinate amt of ratios to chose from. Perfect!

If you have any luck milling the shaft, put me down for 1 or 10, I'll build the GB around it. I've been thinking about this for a long time now.

Thanks,
Rick
Old Jan 11, 2002, 12:22 AM
Joined Sep 2001
242 Posts
I will be going to my LHS tomorrow and ask the car guy what gears I could use for the spur gear. I need to find one that has a relatively small mounting hole. Most of the ones I have seen have at least a 1/2" diameter. If I mill a shaft that large, it would be too heavy, and expensive. I will keep you posted.
Old Jan 11, 2002, 04:51 PM
Brier, WA
Joined Sep 2001
105 Posts
Gear Box parts

A few years ago I biult a home made gear box for a Kyosho DCM20BB motor, 2mm shaft, using an article in Model Airplane news (I think, I still have the Mag if you want to know the exact issue and such). I found all that I needed at a LHS for slot cars. I got shafts, gears, and bearings that worked quite well but were a little expensive. All I had to do is cut out 2 aluminum supports to bolt to each end of the motor and house the bearings for the drive shaft. A few wheel collars and cut some threads on the shaft and I was done. This ended up with a 6/1 ratio and 1.4 oz total weight and works well with six cells up to 5 amps.
RX7MARK is offline Find More Posts by RX7MARK