HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2004, 08:10 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Mar 2004
20 Posts
Yippee!
Hey guys, I could hover today!!!! Finally!!!

G day! All

Today, 9 of May, is the day I will never forget, an important day, FINALLY I COULD HOVER....hahahaha...fantastic!!!!, just fantastic!!!!

It's so exciting!!! wonderful! can't say anything better!!!

I will try to practice more and more hovering until I get sick of it ( should be a week)...lol.....then move to the next step!

umbro is offline Find More Posts by umbro
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2004, 07:27 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,803 Posts
Nothing like the first real flight is there

congrads
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old May 16, 2004, 02:59 AM
Billy Zimmerman
Oregon USA
Joined Aug 2003
76 Posts
congrats, man i remember those days, for me the next feeling will be my first piroflip
Raptor5 is offline Find More Posts by Raptor5
Old May 16, 2004, 09:22 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Mar 2004
20 Posts
Thanks guys!!

I get sick of hovering now :P. My instructor is helping me with nose-in flying. I'm doing not too bad, but still a long way to go.

It's fantastic!!!
Old May 22, 2004, 06:38 AM
Joined May 2004
1 Posts
Umbro, I am about to "pull the trigger" and buy a Venture 50 from LHS. Can I ask, how long have you been flying heli's?

Congrats BTW!
cashmonkey is offline Find More Posts by cashmonkey
Old May 22, 2004, 12:07 PM
Singapore Seletar, Singapore
Joined Sep 2003
464 Posts
cashmonkey: spend the money on a good simulator(G2, XTR) before u get the venture and u will see a lot of progress without having to spend the money for costly rebuilds.
ammo is offline Find More Posts by ammo
Old May 22, 2004, 12:08 PM
Powered by ThunderPower
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Sep 2001
4,197 Posts
Congratulations Umbro! Wow, nose-in already.. you are learning quick! It's all about the stick time.

Chachin..
Chachin is offline Find More Posts by Chachin
Old May 25, 2004, 09:15 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Mar 2004
20 Posts
Hi guys,

Report back to you guys.

Right now, I finish nose-in and pass Eight Firgure. :-). My instructor said that I'm a quick learner. I can be on my own now.
So far no crash yet, a friend of mine who is an experience flyer said that crashes will come.

I'm not afraid of crashing my heli at all, I'm ready for it. But I'm still very careful flying, when I'm panic, I said to myself " ok, calm down, control it, get it in hover, get it back landing slowly slowly". Yeah. I agree it sounds crazy but it works for me.

I realise during practice flying, the first tank is the worst performance, but then the second, the third just keep on going better.

To be honest, that's all I want, I don't want to go to 3D flying o aerobatics. My dream is just to fly smoothly my heli, put a scale Jet Ranger and Airwolf in my heli ( with retractable landing gear and NAV Lights) and fly!!!! :P

It looks like I am pretty close to make my dream come true now :P.

Cheers all!!
Old May 25, 2004, 09:40 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Mar 2004
20 Posts
Hi cashmonkey,

Here is how I started flying heli.

In April, I went to a helicopter flying site, talked to some fliers there, fell in love with this hobby, couldn't sleep!!! :-P , a few days later, bought a second hand helicopter ( Concept SR Kyosho) , then sold it right away in a week later , then bought a Raptor 30 V1 ( gosh...what the hell I was doing at that time, I'm wondering)

Beginning of May, I went back to the flying site, met my instructor, He helped me setting up my helicopter, and began to practice hovering. Then I practice , pratice almost everyday in the park near where I live.

I have a lot of free time so I almost fly everyday, while most of the fliers here can fly only during the weekend. I finished hovering skill in about a week and half.

Then my instructor tried to teach me to fly Eight Firgure ( or Firgure Eight, I'm not sure). But it was horrible! so hard, I couldn't do it, then my instructor changed his mind, he helped me nose in instead, then practice practice with him the whole weekend, by the end of next weekend, ( which was 3 days ago, last Sunday), I could do a nose in take off and fly Eight Firgure ( sometimes when I fly firgure, especially the left turn, it's ugly!)
Anyway, now, I just passed but not master yet, still lots of work to do. :P

My instructor said I learned flying only in 3 weeks, I think It's 4 weeks. Anway, who cares 3 weeks or 4 weeks, I don't mind, as long as I have fun and carefully flying and learning.

Before I started flying in early May, I had played with the simulator for a month, I practiced a lot on the simulator. But when I fly in reality is another story. Don't get me wrong, the simulator does help me a lot!!!

well prepared before getting into this hobby, carefully learning, practice, practice and practice.
so far, it's my experience, hope that I could share with you guys. I will update more if I get more experience. hopefully not a crash!!! lol :-P

Cheers all!