HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2002, 11:34 AM
DAve caNDI,& 5#'s of fury
Oscoda, MI :)
Joined Jan 2001
529 Posts
OK I have had it with balsa- Help me to become a foamie nut

Ok I have had it with cutting out ribs, bulkheads, and the other assorted balsa building requirements. Having viewed the Foamie forum bash and looking at the planes ,I must become a foamie nut.
What type of building materals, and where to buy them.
Glues?
Mainly I need to know what coroplast is and where to get it?
What is Depron?
How to make a hot wire cutter?
I have to build foamie planes, as I tend to crash a lot
Thanks all
Dandi6065 is offline Find More Posts by Dandi6065
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2002, 11:52 AM
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,645 Posts
The answers to many of your questions can be found using the search function. They have all been answered many times before.

The biggest advantage of foam is in the new generation of ARFs. Simple inexpensive designs can now be made with all shapes and sizes...but....to do these designs from scratch is no advantage over making them in balsa. Both techniques require skill, planning, and plenty of patience.

If you are an impatient or unsatisfied modeler then maybe you need to purchase a few of these ARF designs and improve your flying skills first. I have become an excellent flyer using ARFs and now spend more time modeling because I now have the confidence to build, test, and fly scratch built designs without seeing them "re-kitted" after the maiden voyage.

Corroplast is corragated plastic. It looks like shipping box material but is made from plastic instead of cardboard.

Depron is often used as a food container like a BK Whooper box or when you take home food from a resturant.

If you crash often...do yourself a favor and buy a Zagi and a Tipsy. The Zagi pretty much laughs at most crashes and a Tipsy is virtually impossible to stall.

Regards.
Greg Covey is online now Find More Posts by Greg Covey
Old Jan 05, 2002, 02:01 PM
Worcester, MA.
Joined Nov 2001
1,408 Posts
Dan,

I hear ya'. Balsa can be frustrating, especially after a crash! Doesn't hold up very well, does it?

Depron is extremely thin, light weight foam. Folks generally heat it slightly with a heat gun (or blow dryer), then "mold" or bend a leading edge into it. You end up with an undercambered airfoil like the GWS planes.

Actual Depron is tough to come by in the states but...

Try these sites: http://airdyn.com/zepron.htm

http://206.19.206.56/takeoff2000.htm

Don't have a source for Coroplast. Sorry.

Glues. Most of the "odorless" CA's are foam friendly, but I generally use epoxy, or a white glue like "Weldbond" or "Probond".

Foamcutters. Yikes! Where to start? Your best bet is a search through other threads, but....

You'll need an adjustable power supply capable of about 15 volts. (Old "Lionel" train transformers have been used. )

I believe a good standard power supply can also be used, and linked with a household type "dimmer switch" for adjustment.

Then you'll need to find some "ni-chrome" (sp?) wire. No source for this either. You make a "bow" out of a non-conductive material; then stretch the wire between (like a bow and arrow set-up.)

The power supply is connected to the ends of the bow wire. The current heats the nichrome wire, which melts it's way through the foam. You regulate the current to control the speed of the melt (cut).

Good Luck with your pursuits!
Dennis-
DBCherry is offline Find More Posts by DBCherry