SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 08, 2004, 06:51 AM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
Anyone else having problems with little kids interrupting?

I fly a lot in my backyard, and almost every time I'm out these kids come over on their bikes and pester me. They constantly beg me to let them try the helicopter, and they don't take no for an answer. They don't ask with a quiet, polite voice. No, they scream at me! I'm not kidding. I get sick of saying no to them after a little while and stop answering them. That just makes them scream even louder.

It may sound silly for me, a grown man (well, grown boy at least), to be bothered my this but I feel there's not much more I can do about them other than change flying site. I don't have kids myself so I'm not used to dealing with them either.

Bottom line... I wish they wouldn't scream at me while I'm flying! It's hard enough as it is with the gusty day-winds and all.
Lynxman is offline Find More Posts by Lynxman
Last edited by Lynxman; May 08, 2004 at 06:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2004, 08:09 AM
Sponsered By My Wallet!
Colwyn Bay, North Wales, UK
Joined May 2004
5,559 Posts
i kinda know how you feel, except at th moemnt, the little kids only bug my car, as i dont have a heli yet. still, even though its not as bad as a heli, its still really annoying. however, im only 13, so it doesnt really matter if i say something rude to them lol

Duane
Minimole is offline Find More Posts by Minimole
Old May 08, 2004, 08:29 AM
Upstate NY
Joined Nov 2003
842 Posts
Long ago, when I was a kid (8 or 9 years old?), my neighbor used to fly free flight planes in our back yards (conected to a farm pasture). The sound of an .049 screaming will draw kids like a magnet. I remember being taught (not just TOLD) not to run after the plane, as it was delicate, and where to stand during start up and launch for safety. Later, this man gave a few of us (the polite and interested ones) AMA Cub kits (a rubber free flight plane) to build and helped us to trim them. I place a lot of credit for my interest in aviation with the introduction that I got at that time.

If at all possible, try to turn your dilemma into a positive experience for you and the kids. Bring a hand launch glider out with you (space permitting) or even a paper glider and take a few moments to teach them something. They might even learn not to "scream".
OmegaDot is offline Find More Posts by OmegaDot
Old May 08, 2004, 08:52 AM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
I hear you, OmegaDot. I did land and take the helicopter over to them at first to show them how it worked.

After I wouldn't let them try to fly it, one of the kids got the bright idea to try to trick me into thinking he had a helicopter just like that at home. "Let me fly it, I have one just like it at home and know how to fly".
Old May 08, 2004, 08:56 AM
United States, MI, Lapeer
Joined Aug 2000
759 Posts
just get out the hose....
Draconious is offline Find More Posts by Draconious
Old May 08, 2004, 08:59 AM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
lol
Old May 08, 2004, 11:07 AM
Joined Apr 2004
36 Posts
is it illegal to lock kids in closets in norway? Just wondering...lol
justin_92_92 is offline Find More Posts by justin_92_92
Old May 08, 2004, 05:51 PM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts

Anyway. I don't mind if kids watch me fly and talk to me of course. But I do mind them screaming at me non stop.
Old May 08, 2004, 06:33 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
I was flying early one morning at a park. I was into doing some nice circuits and out of nowhere I saw a herd of kids running my way . They came running up on me so fast all i could do was put it into the ground to avoid an accident. i was pretty up set. A lady who was running a daycare decide to bring the kids to the park (public park) no biggie. It was evident this lady was unaware of any danger this proposed. instead of keeping the kids with her, she let them run over to where i was. I was on an end of the park that was just open space. There was nothing there for a kid to play with or on. So, there my Heli sat, in the grass, bent up landing gear, folded up blades. I picked my stuff up and headed to my truck. I did go over and tell the lady about the danger that these do propose and its not a good Idea to let kids run up on anyone who is flying anything radio controlled. Basically I said the kids didnt know any better and i was glad it was a LMH heli. Damage was very minor. A good water hose would have been a good idea at that moment
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Last edited by darthdrk; May 08, 2004 at 06:37 PM.
Old May 08, 2004, 07:15 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2003
4,747 Posts
For some reason i see it like smoking! i,d say the people have the right to attend the park without flying motor mowers present,I put the responsibility on the pilot not the parents, get some one to spot for you or accept ditching as a pracitise to avoid hittiing unadvised people in public places.
BTW i smoke and fly helis
If you join a club and then people get in your way you can mow them down legally i guess!.
will p3 is offline Find More Posts by will p3
Old May 08, 2004, 07:55 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Join a club? Naaaaaaa....i cant see paying about 200.00 bucks a year to fly my heliochopper. The 200.00 bucks include AMA and yearly Club fees. Hehehe i should have stated that I now have my own private flying field, basically totally secluded. i also have access to at least another potential flying field (Family owns about a 100 acres of farm land nearby) If that aint big enough.... Where im at now, my backyard is my flying field. im thinking of installing an asphault Helipad. It takes me every bit of about five hours just to cut the grass And thats not even half of the land Im on. Im working on clearing some land so i can put in a rather large pond for my RC boats oh yes and for fishing and that will also open up an area for a potential airstrip for my planes. Since Ive got into Helicopters, Havent paid much attention to the boats and planes.
Old May 08, 2004, 07:56 PM
Lost in Kuwait
Marysville, Ca
Joined Oct 2003
217 Posts
hey darth u making bodies full time now or something?
Arorr is offline Find More Posts by Arorr
Old May 08, 2004, 09:02 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Yep, making fuselages is practically full time.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 07:49 AM
New Providence, NJ
Joined Aug 2002
465 Posts
Ugh, I just had a 'kid' experience yesterday. Same deal. My friend and I were taking my Switchback out for a bit, and this one particular kid would not stop pestering me. "Can I fly it?" "I have one of these, I can fly it" "I'll give you a dime if I can fly it". I was polite about it, I tried to explain that these are not toys and they take alot of practice to fly (The switchback ESPECIALLY is not for beginners). The kid kept trying to reach for my controller - at that point I was distracted and took my eyes off the switchback for a second. Well, I spent a great deal of last night rebuilding the plane.

Whoever's kid that was is obviously not used to hearing the word NO. I was willing to talk about R/C aircraft and even suggest places where he can purchase something for a beginner.. but no, the kid had to insist on being a brat and whining until I lost track of the plane. Of course they were rolling in laughter when it crashed. I think I'll go back to my regular prefferred flying time.. EARLY in the morning.
james1787 is offline Find More Posts by james1787
Old Jun 16, 2004, 08:20 AM
Joined Jun 2004
55 Posts
yea those kids can be a real pain. That's why I bought an indoor heli, so i can fly indoor, in private. Outdoor flying is done in a club site. I try to avoid public sites if i can help it for this very reason. Also, have you noticed that in public places, some adults insist on talking to you till you lose concentration? How high does it fly? how far can it fly? how much is it? what controls it? etc etc etc
melbournian is offline Find More Posts by melbournian