HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2002, 11:49 PM
CA and NH
Joined Oct 2001
449 Posts
How do I read a "wing loading" value?

I am not really clear on "wing loading" value. What does a high wing load and low wing load do? Is 3.5 oz/ sq. in high or low wing load?
xadmin is offline Find More Posts by xadmin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2002, 12:40 AM
Plains,PA,USA
Joined Jan 2001
57 Posts
How do I read a "wing loading"

The term is ounces per square foot, not inches. Think of it this way -- a piece of paper floating to the ground is nearly 0 oz/sq.ft., a brick is hundreds of oz/sq.ft. Typically, aim for the lowest loading unless you're ballasting for penetration in a glider. With the proliferation of types of e-models available there's no "best" loading. Look at a type of model you're interested in and compare loadings. You will see a marked spread of loadings varying by the construction techniques utilized. With all that said, a lower loading will tend to remain airborn longer than a higher loading since the aircraft uses less power to keep aloft. The preceeding statements are RULES OF THUMB for the guys who want to argue loadings for specific types of craft. I have an 18" ornithopter that flys at grams/sq.ft. and a 60" Citabria at 28 oz/sq.ft. Both fly very acceptably.
BillJ is offline Find More Posts by BillJ
Old Jan 05, 2002, 03:45 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
Wing loading has been discussed fairly often over in the Modeling Science forum. A quick search will find plenty of detailed information.

Basically for any given plane, the higher the wing loading the faster the plane needs to fly to stay in the air. So low wing loadings tend to be floaters, high wing loadings fast planes.

It's not easy to give absolute numbers because it depends critically on the size of the plane. A 80" warbird that lands at 40mph is not much of a problem. A 24" indoor model flying at that speed would be a (very short lived) disaster.

Steve
BTW 3.5 oz/sq in would be very high indeed. I guess you mean 3.5 oz/sq ft which sounds like a floater unless the plane is very very small.
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Old Jan 05, 2002, 03:48 AM
CA and NH
Joined Oct 2001
449 Posts
Yes, it's 3.5 oz/ sq. feet
xadmin is offline Find More Posts by xadmin