HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2002, 12:30 PM
jah
BALD MEMBER
North Georgia
Joined Nov 2001
1,851 Posts
Thanks Peter, I will try those settings on the DR, and Expos. Wasn't really sure where to start.
I had a couple of instances where I lost orientation, but had enough altitude to sort it out. Guess it will come with practice.
Speaking practice, I am off to go FLY!!!
jah is offline Find More Posts by jah
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2002, 01:21 PM
St Paul, Mn
Joined Apr 2001
365 Posts
I just got one, was wondering why they want all the radio gear on the bottom of the wing? I dont feel real comfortable with that, would I have any problems mounting everything on top of the wing? thanks...
chris
bozmonster is offline Find More Posts by bozmonster
Old Jan 13, 2002, 01:55 PM
jah
BALD MEMBER
North Georgia
Joined Nov 2001
1,851 Posts
Not an expert, but they proably say mount on the bottom for aerodynamic reasons. I just did what Gofli said and used a soldering iron to carefully cut out recesses for the gear. Then tape over it, and you got a flat bottom wing again. The wing flys great, and is tuff! Just got back from another 3 flights, this time in the wind. Got kicked around abit, but just kept on flying.

Good luck with it.
Old Jan 13, 2002, 09:18 PM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,951 Posts
Hi Jerry! Just put in 8 more flights in the MT today. Broke a prop on the frozen lake Three more flights in higher winds at dusk, was great till the last flight and was making a downwind run at 3 feet and the wind caught it from behind and it went down an its belly. No prob I thought till I get to the wing and see the rt elevon all broken and a big chunk missing, can't find it so off they came when I got home and cut up some coroplast elevons. This is the third time I broke an elevon in 17 flights with no real good crashes. The only problem with the coroplast I can see is that it weighs twice as much as the foam but I just can't seem to keep the foam elevons together. Running real fine with a 9x7 prop and a 8 cell 750Ma batt. The plane is quick, agile and lands into the wind at 0 MPH.
Back to the elevons! Paint is dry and now to fit hinges.

Regards,
Pete
peterv is online now Find More Posts by peterv
Old Jan 14, 2002, 12:05 AM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,881 Posts
Boz,

A "clean" upper surface is better aerodynamcily, but not much of a concern here. If I did another one, I would mount the servos on top, to protect the arms and gears from landing damage...but I only land mine when I miss the catch, haha

Later,
David
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2002, 06:53 AM
jah
BALD MEMBER
North Georgia
Joined Nov 2001
1,851 Posts
Pete, I have had about 14 flights now, 3 full bore crashes (see
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=23892) for a description!
Only real damage came from a normal landing (though this landing was caused by a bad ESC), motor cut out, but did a very gentle landing with the prop straight up and down. Broke the motor mount (instead of the graupner prop!). Just CA and CF tape and good as new.

Gofli, yeah I can see mud, and dirt on the arms of the servos sometimes after a landing. Thinking about taking a couple of empty scotch tape dispensers and breaking off the curved section that rips the tape. Then CA these into little slots in front of the servo arms. If it works will post some pics.

Thanks for all your help

Jerry
Old Jan 14, 2002, 01:13 PM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,951 Posts
HL MT

Finished the Coroplast elevons last nite, hinged and mounted new control horns. Will remount motor and check CG. Test fly AM tomorrow. I also chipped a tooth on the plastic pinion gear about 10 flights ago, noisy but still works. Wish I could find a folder that will fit as flying on frozen lake and grass is hard on prop/gearbox if you hit with power on!
I cut out some scrap EPP foam for covers to the servo arms and motor pod, works like landing skids. Will try to post a pix soon. Wonder why the designer did not want all electronics on top ala Zagi?
Good luck and enjoy the MT Wing!

Pete
peterv is online now Find More Posts by peterv