HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2002, 04:29 PM
San jose, CA
Joined Jun 2000
426 Posts
Where's a good place for seafood in the San Jose, CA area?

I'd like to find a reasonably nice place that DOESN'T OVERCOOK their seafood and can be had for between $20.00 and 30.00 per person. Occasionally I get brave and try ordering something off the menu from Coco's, and similar resaurants, and it's always terrible! I don't even know why they bother offering stuff they don't know how to prepare...
tempest411 is offline Find More Posts by tempest411
Old Jan 04, 2002, 04:57 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,796 Posts
There is a great seafood place in BeZERKly just of 80. I think its called Bettes and that is all I can find on the map right now. 1800 blk on 4th street.

It is just east of the freeway where the new overpass is.
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Jan 04, 2002, 05:19 PM
You looking at me?
USA, KY, Burlington
Joined Sep 2001
1,497 Posts
Drive over the hill to Santa Cruz. That's what I used to do when I lived in San Jose and wanted good seafood.

Ed
Ed Franz is offline Find More Posts by Ed Franz
Old Jan 04, 2002, 05:51 PM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
796 Posts
I concur with driving over the hill to Santa Cruz....there are several on the Pier there (besides others)...I used to like the on just at the bend in the pier...(can;t remeber the name now though)

Jim
me11owman is online now Find More Posts by me11owman
Old Jan 05, 2002, 01:05 AM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,755 Posts
Barbara's Fish Shack !!

Go to Barbara's Fish Shack near Half Moon Bay. From San Jose go north on 280 or 101 until you reach Highway 92, then turn west until you reach Highway 1. Go North on 1 for 2 miles - Barbara's is in the Harbor at Princeton by the Sea.
Not fancy - sign on the wall says "If you have reservations you're in the wrong restaurant." Cash or checks, no credit cards.
Voted "Best Seafood Restaurant" year after year. It is the best.
Takes us 45 minutes to get there from my house - we make the trip frequently - it's THAT good.
If you want "atmosphere" - go elsewhere. If you want to eat excellent seafood, this is the place.
I recommend going for lunch (before 5:00 p.m.) - less $$$ and waiting.
Just went there on Jan. 1 - gotta start the New Year off right!!

IMHO the seafood restaurants in Santa Cruz pale in comparison, and I've eaten at most of them. I've never had anything other than a terrific meal at Barbara's.
Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr
Last edited by Mauilvr; Jan 05, 2002 at 01:10 AM.
Old Jan 05, 2002, 09:02 AM
KLH
Pack Rat
Hayward CA / Valley Springs CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,778 Posts
I second mauilvr's vote for Barbara's in Princeton. My wifes business gets us over to the Half Moon Bay area frequently and we almost always time our trips so we can have lunch at Barbara's. Not real fancy but great food. The crowd thats always waiting for a seat tells the story. Been going there for years and it's very consistant. On our daughters 21st. birthday of all the restraunts in the Bay Area to choose from Barbara's is where she wanted us to take her so she could have one of their crab sandwichs.

Kern
KLH is offline Find More Posts by KLH
Old Jan 06, 2002, 02:47 AM
San jose, CA
Joined Jun 2000
426 Posts
Barbara's, huh? I'll check it out! I think there's a few places to slope soar out there as well. I've eaten at a few of the places in Santa Cruz and sometimes it's pretty good, other times I wished we'd just gone to Denny's for a burger-seafood's easy to screw up I guess.

Thank you to all who wrote in!

Rick
tempest411 is offline Find More Posts by tempest411