SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 05, 2004, 09:29 PM
Joined Apr 2004
24 Posts
Idea
Slow Stick, Pico Slow Stick, or Pico J3 Slow Flyer

Hi fellas,

You fellas may remember me from as the newbie who totalled his new Slow Stick. It is completely wasted, so I had planned on simpy getting a new kit. But as I browsed other GWS planes, I wondered if either the Slow Flyer or the Pico Stick F might not be a better choice. I have 10-15 hours of glow stick time under my belt.

What do you guys think?
mabaza is offline Find More Posts by mabaza
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2004, 09:35 PM
Around the World
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jun 2002
5,641 Posts
It depends on where you want to fly. Front yard you need the two listed. If you want to have more fun and really fly out there (still pretty close) the slow stick would be the kit to get again. I want ask how you trashed a slow stick...
cadconversions is offline Find More Posts by cadconversions
Old May 05, 2004, 09:36 PM
some what irregular
Diamond Bar, California
Joined Feb 2004
1,026 Posts
did you LIKE the slow stick? Your choices have bodies instead of hollow metal tubes

if you are comfortable with your flying skills, how about an Estarter [aileron trainer] or a Tiger Moth or a beaver or....or....or....planes that look more like planes
dostacos is offline Find More Posts by dostacos
Old May 05, 2004, 10:11 PM
Boulder , CO
Joined Oct 2003
425 Posts
Mabazza,

How did you total your Slow Stick? I am on my 2nd one. Really bent up the first one, but did salvage some parts. For the second 1 I epoxied a 5/16th (or 5/64th stick of Balsa down the Fuse and it is very strong now.
buzzbee is offline Find More Posts by buzzbee
Old May 05, 2004, 10:18 PM
Joined Apr 2004
24 Posts
On it's maiden flight, I drove the SS prop first into the ground at full throttle. This completely totalled my fuse. A gentleman on this board was kind enough to send me a spare one, but since I epoxied the vertical and horizontal stabilizers to the original fuse, I couldn't get them off without tearing them apart...doh! For some reason, I thought you were supposed to epoxy everything together and ignore the doublesided tape that comes with the kit.

I think the motor was damaged as well, as the plane seemed seriously underpowered on flight/crash #2.

Sooo....the estarter sounds intriguiging, since it has ailerons and all. What does it fly like? Will I be able to use my KAN 8 cell 1050 packs with it?
Last edited by mabaza; May 05, 2004 at 10:31 PM.
Old May 05, 2004, 10:30 PM
Around the World
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jun 2002
5,641 Posts
mabaza, it's not what you asked for (like anyone around here tells you just what your asking for ) but if you would like to do a balsa build without having to cover try www.mountainmodels.com for the SmoothE. It has a balsa fuse and foam wing. People have nosed it in from 40 ft with nothing but a broken prop to show for it. It uses the smame motor, gearbox, and electrical components that your slow stick does.

You can also purchase a 3 channel model or the sport model with ailerons.

Kevin
Old May 05, 2004, 10:38 PM
Joined Apr 2004
24 Posts
Hey Kevin,

All opinions are welcome! I actually briefly considered getting the SmoothE based on the positive feedback here, and I even exchanged a few emails with the owner of mountain models about the model and its flight characteristics. But as I read more posts here, I got the distinct impression that balsa is for advanced electric builders only, so then I chickened out Is it a difficult build?
Old May 05, 2004, 10:45 PM
Around the World
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jun 2002
5,641 Posts
What building? I accidently dropped a bottle of CA glue into the box that the plane arrived in and if flew out of the box.

It's a very easy build and since you don't have to cover it (just paint/tape it) it's really easy. Besides, you need to experience both sides of the hobby. I can assure you that it's nothing like building a slimer kit. It really does fall together.

Give it a shot and you won't be dissappointed.

BTW, I was lucky guy that named the SmoothE so I'm a little bias.
Old May 06, 2004, 01:25 AM
Boulder , CO
Joined Oct 2003
425 Posts
Cadconversions,

The smoothE does look sweet. Definately my next plane. mabaza could even get it with the slow flyer wing if he did not want to learn 4 ch. upfront.
buzzbee is offline Find More Posts by buzzbee
Old May 06, 2004, 01:29 AM
Around the World
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jun 2002
5,641 Posts
I'm using it to teach a guy at church how to fly. I'm sure I'll test the "survivability" of the plane with him. Let us know what you decide mabaza.
Old May 06, 2004, 01:26 PM
Joined Apr 2004
24 Posts
Kevin,

I think I'm going to go with the SmoothE in the slow wing config. Is the plane aileron capable with this wing? Should I should I go ahead and get my motor from mountain models as well? Any other items I should order from them?

Thanks!
Old May 06, 2004, 02:21 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
How much flying have you done? If I understand correctly just the two flights with the SlowStik and both ended in major crashes?

It might be a better idea to start with one of the GWS planes like the Slow Flyer or J3 Cub and save the Smooth E for your second plane. I know it's durable but don't know if it's that durable. Actually I'd recommend the Stik F (Slow Flyer) over the Cub and the SlowStik. I know at least four people who have successfully learned to fly with the Stik F. The Tigermoth is another great choice if you prefer a biplane.

If you haven't been practicing with a flight simulator I'd recommend downloading the free FMS. (Flight Model Simulator).

Best of luck,

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old May 06, 2004, 03:40 PM
Riverview, FL
Joined Dec 2002
1,497 Posts
i agree with BC - the smoothe is agreat plane and quite durable - but i dont think any plane out there could stand up to too much abuse. once youre ready for it - it is a very simple build - and very durable (the balsa fuse is quite sturdy). one of the fields where i fly doesnt have the best landing area and the plane has held up well.

if you can, buy the SmoothE now, and work on building it - just take your time - and it will be ready for when you are

other than that - i like the slow stick personally
nose_first is offline Find More Posts by nose_first
Old May 06, 2004, 03:51 PM
Around the World
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jun 2002
5,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabaza
Hi fellas,

I have 10-15 hours of glow stick time under my belt.
With 10 - 15 hours of "fast flying" time on a glow plane I would still recommend the SmoothE with slow wing. Doug with MM is selling an aileron kit with the slow flyer but I don't know if it adds ailerons or just adds more stability to the kit. Check into it.

You can buy everything from Doug you need but with a crashed slow stick you shouldn't need anything else except maybe a new motor if the old one is trashed.

Your call.

Kevin
Old May 06, 2004, 04:20 PM
North Richland Hills, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
1,884 Posts
Stick with the Slow Stik until you have a number of flights. The Slow Stik is by far the easiest plane you can learn to fly on. There are a few things that can be done to make it fly better but out of the box it flies and from the sound of your text you still have quite of bit of time to do before moving on. I've flown rc for over 40 years and the Slow Stik works. Follow some of the threads but don't get too carried away with the mods and have fun. GWS foam birds all fly great but one thing they do not do is bounce, hang in there and have fun.
Ed Couch is offline Find More Posts by Ed Couch