SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 05, 2004, 07:05 PM
De-Brushed user
Midland, Tx / W. Lafayette, Ind.
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
Build Log
Gambler+ build and fly!

Hi everybody. Over the next week or so, i will be posting a detailed build, and hopefully, fly thread here. Will post pics of the fuse assembly tonight after i get more of it finished, I do not have the correct type of epoxy right now so will not be able to completely finish the fuse build today, but will get most of it done.

My first impressions when i opened the kit:
Kit was very well packaged and complete, with no damage. Includes Dubro hardware, such as micro EZ Links, something i never have enough of and it is nice for a kit to come with them. Wood quality, like most of the small manufacturers, is very good, much better than the big companies can provide. Laser cutting is very accurate, boom is very light and strong, instructions and plans are in color and plans are very crisp and accurate. Instructions are easy to understand and comprehensive. So far, it is a great kit with a great price from a great guy, so im really happy.

Stay tuned,
Jonathan
CAFplanekid is offline Find More Posts by CAFplanekid
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2004, 08:21 PM
Peachtree City, GA
Joined Aug 2000
845 Posts
I'm subscribing to the thread now. Bring on the pics.

Bobby
blfinche is offline Find More Posts by blfinche
Old May 05, 2004, 08:40 PM
Florida
Joined Dec 2002
98 Posts
Me too, Me too

I'll be a watchen. This could be my next bird.
Rog
onewingwilli is offline Find More Posts by onewingwilli
Old May 05, 2004, 09:32 PM
De-Brushed user
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
First batch of pics

Ok guys, here is the first group of pics. I am at the point now of final sanding the nose block, had to use some light spackling and will post a pic of finished pod when that is dried and sanded.

1. Building board setup and tools i will be using. These Modela pins are a must-have, leave tiny hole that usually disappear, way better than close pins ususally used. this model is built off of the plans so far, using a line drawn down the board for centering. Everything comes out strait and true.

2. Fuse bottom cut out and pinned to board

3. Berg 5 RX and 4 cell, 370 mah NIMH pack. This pack fits snugly into the nose, weighs 1.125 ounces.
Last edited by CAFplanekid; May 05, 2004 at 09:34 PM.
Old May 05, 2004, 09:36 PM
De-Brushed user
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
4. Pic of boom positioned in the pod

5. Assembled fuse
Old May 05, 2004, 09:46 PM
London, England
Joined May 2003
1,598 Posts
I'm getting all moist!
thermite is offline Find More Posts by thermite
Old May 05, 2004, 09:52 PM
Austin, Tx
Joined Nov 2003
1,052 Posts
Looking fantastic so far. I have been seriously thinking of getting one of these. I will be watching closely.
Steven
Pegasus is offline Find More Posts by Pegasus
Old May 05, 2004, 09:57 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,191 Posts
Looks great so far. You've done everything perfectly.

Allan
Allan Wright is offline Find More Posts by Allan Wright
Old May 05, 2004, 10:03 PM
De-Brushed user
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
Here are some pics of the finished nose. I still have to fiberglass and carbon fiber the fuse, but this is as much work as i will do today, I have an AP Physics test to study for. So far, I am really enjoying the build and its simplicity. The bottle in the background is a genuine Dublin Dr. Pepper, imperial sugar (not corn syrup) goodness with alot of carbonation, mmmmm mmmmm good
Old May 05, 2004, 10:14 PM
London, England
Joined May 2003
1,598 Posts
I can't wait! Allan, any idea what the shiping cost to the UK will be for my kit yet?
Old May 05, 2004, 11:05 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,191 Posts
I still need to ask them at the post office next time I ship a Gambler. I want to have them tell me what it will cost instead of guessing based on the weight.
Old May 05, 2004, 11:06 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,191 Posts
Jonathan, that's nice work on the shaping of the nose. The extra time you took to get it nice and smooth will pay off in less drag.
Old May 05, 2004, 11:17 PM
London, England
Joined May 2003
1,598 Posts
Ok, thanks Allan.
Old May 10, 2004, 05:59 PM
De-Brushed user
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
Sorry for the delay, guys, too much stuff goin on to enjoyably work on the Gambler. The only mod I plan to do to the plane is add a magnet hatch for the battery compartment. I dont like using tape, and where I fly the tape would probably get dusty and loose anyways. I added this closure using 2 Neodym magnets, a small piece of ply from scrap in the kit, and some 1/8 inch balsa rails for centering and strength. The magnets are so strong I had to add the rails or the hatch would break trying to open it. I can not tell the difference in weight using my 1 gram scale from the stock hatch and mine, and the fit is very flush and secure.

The small piece of scrap ply was pushed into a slot cut with a dull X-Acto in the rear hatch support beam with a magnet CA'd to it. A small hole was cut in the hatch, and the other magnet was glued in. Thats about it, really easy.

edit: thanks for the complements, Allan, i enjoy sanding balsa blocks to shapes. Its trailing edges I cant stand
Old May 10, 2004, 06:09 PM
London, England
Joined May 2003
1,598 Posts
Looking very nice so far.