HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2004, 07:04 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,910 Posts
Fanfold Su-27 Flanker - Free Drawings and Construction Guide

Many thanks to Tim Hart for hosting my jet on his website!

There you will find CAD-based drawings, a detailed construction guide, decals, videos and an FMS flight simulator of my Su-27. This amounts to all same the stuff covered in the "old thread", but neatly compiled, corrected and proofed. If, while building your Flanker you have any questions or comments, be sure to post them here in this thread and I'll do my best to reply promptly. Hopefully, however, I'll have done my homework and the guide will have addressed all the key issues.

Here's what she looks like with 13 flights logged - versus the "real deal". I hope you enjoy the build!

Tom

PS: Be sure to check out all the other cool stuff Tim is offering too!
Thomas Nelson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Nelson
Last edited by Thomas Nelson; May 20, 2004 at 09:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2004, 07:21 PM
Sacramento
Joined Nov 2003
964 Posts
thanks
crashingagain is offline Find More Posts by crashingagain
Old May 06, 2004, 08:52 PM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,346 Posts
Bump... Come on guys...

Tim
Tim H. is offline Find More Posts by Tim H.
Old May 06, 2004, 10:19 PM
Team Broke
Orlando/ Winter Garden, FL
Joined Feb 2003
5,671 Posts
Excellent Tom !!!
If it were'nt for the Mega hangin out the rear, it would be hard to tell which is the R/C model !

Sweet !

Jim

PS How fast does she go ???
fishdeth is offline Find More Posts by fishdeth
Old May 06, 2004, 11:00 PM
Fly Brushless!
Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2002
3,136 Posts
That looks great Tom! Thanks for all the great info and plans.
Hawker is offline Find More Posts by Hawker
Old May 07, 2004, 01:45 AM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,910 Posts
Thanks guys

Nothing new about the plane, though - it's the same bird shown in the "Make Your Own Fanfold Flanker" thread. It does maybe 65 mph on the level, and sustains perhaps 30 mph vertically.

The reason for this new thread has less to do with the plane, and more to do with the plans. In the "Make Your Own ... " thread I kept getting requests for properly scaled CAD drawings (a task that turned out to be beyond me), and a better explanation for 'how to do this or that'. And I kept getting PMs to the effect that 'manipulating Fanfold into a Flanker appeared too complicated and time-consuming', and 'would I be willing to either kit it, or ARF it?' for the masses.

So this thread is kinda my answer. Which, when summed up is, 'fanfold is easy, fun and cheap to work with, and anyone can make neato stuff with it.' Numerous ezoners offered their time and creative juices and ... well ... I now have CAD plans, detailed instructions, construction videos etc which are being hosted on Tim H's website. (a note to the 'numerous ezoners' ... please consider yourselves thanked yet again!)

Would be cool to see the collective (and I DO mean collective) effort behind all this result in new and challenging fanfold/depron designs, based on as-yet unpublished techniques. Who, for example, will find a reliable method for forming concave shapes - instead of simply sanding layers as I have done with the '27? I've had some success with the fuse-to-wing transition of my F-16, but I'm sure there are better ways out there. Would be really cool if these plans could somehow spark something totally different & untried. (Roberto - your "engine cover" solution is an example of what I'm talking about. Someday we need to update the drawing to reflect this improvement).
Last edited by Thomas Nelson; May 08, 2004 at 08:41 PM.
Old May 11, 2004, 09:13 AM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis
Aberdeen, Scotland
Joined Jul 2003
6,969 Posts
firstly thanks for sharing this great plane and plans thomas and also tim for hosting them . i'm thinking of building
one at 75% as i'm planning to use 6mm depron for construction and a smaller power system, do you think this will
be a viable option, or will scaling it down ruin the plane all together?

phil
Happy|Harry is offline Find More Posts by Happy|Harry
Old May 11, 2004, 09:51 AM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,910 Posts
I think that should work reasonably well, Phil. The plans already show the areas where the thickness of the material is critical - so if you watch for that issue I'd say you should be ok.

If it is weight you are trying to save ... my retired blue 388 Flanker's bare airframe is less than 6 ounces. FWIW

Have fun - and let me know how it goes together!

:-)
Last edited by Thomas Nelson; May 11, 2004 at 06:52 PM.
Old May 11, 2004, 11:07 AM
That should fly!
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Oct 2001
2,406 Posts
BTW, where are the links listed in the building document hosted??? They are no longer hyperlinks.

James
Admiral_Red is offline Find More Posts by Admiral_Red
Old May 11, 2004, 02:21 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,910 Posts
You're right - they don't work!

When I was drafting the guideline my plan was to give a MS Word version of it to Tim, so he could create the web version. Unfortunately, I had a operating system meltdown (WinXP Pro, no less) which resulted in the loss of the original guideline. All I was left with was the pdf, which neither Tim nor I can edit to create the links. Duplicating the Word document will prove very time consuming, seeing how every picture had to be hand-manipulated into position.

You CAN get the flying videos from the main (Jets) webpage. However, Tim has yet to put up the construction videos. If there is consensus that these are needed, I'll ask him nicely! The work-around to all this, though, is to get them from here (thanks, Dru!)

tn
Last edited by Thomas Nelson; May 11, 2004 at 06:54 PM.
Old May 11, 2004, 03:13 PM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis
Aberdeen, Scotland
Joined Jul 2003
6,969 Posts
thanks thomas that's what i wanted to hear , the reduction is for being able to utilise existing equipment that
i have sitting spare and that the depron is only 1/4" thick so i should be still close to the correct thickness without
adding extra layers of foam, i'll update here as i go but it wont be lightning quick progress as i have a few builds
on the cards at the minute, but isn't this always the way lol

phil
Happy|Harry is offline Find More Posts by Happy|Harry
Old May 12, 2004, 12:34 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,702 Posts
Thomas,
Beautiful, beautiful plane! Thanks for the info. I'll store this and do one when I feel comfortable with it. Thanks again. Man, that's a pretty plane.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old May 12, 2004, 12:36 AM
Morristown, New Jersey (excl EWR), United States
Joined Oct 2003
1,110 Posts
Flanker progress

Thomas thanks for taking the time and effort to document your Flanker build.
I'm close to completion but still unsure about my battery requirements. I have a Mega 16/15/4 with an APC E 6x4 prop as my Flankers motivation. On hand I have a Kokam 2400 3S2P Lipo which is good to only 19 Amps and my ESC is a left over CC25.

Your recommended battery setup is a 4S TP 2100 (having a real hard time locating this config). I also took a look at the Tanic 2600 pack, but I don't think the battery will fit in the forward fuse section.

My AUW without battery is 9.5oz, any reccommended lipo alternatives would be greatly appreciated.

Once again this has been a fun build and I hope my maiden is as enjoyable.

Mr. Boogie
Mr. Boogie is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Boogie
Old May 12, 2004, 01:15 AM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,910 Posts
Thanks J! I will be interested in the approach you take with the finish. Paint on bare foam - my favorite method - is a far cry from the effort & results you've been getting!

Nicely done, Mr Boogie!
I think you are right wrt the Tanic 2600 pack. Too wide to fit. Your CC25 is a good mate to your 3S and BEC arrangement. And I'd think your 3S2P 2400 should be a good match too. At 19 amps static and (say) 3.2v per cell loaded, you're at something over 180 watts. (What's your RTF AUW with this combo?) So long as you are flexible with your choice of prop, you should be fine. My preference is thrust over speed, so I'd go with lower pitch props (4" sounds about right) and choose a diameter that maxes the static amps. Also, as I'm sure you know, another option for fine tuning things is to adjust the motor timing via the BEC.

BTW, the 4S1P pack mentioned in the guide needs to be mated with a 5-turn Mega. Your 3S pack is better suited to your 4-turn.

I see you're putting the decals to good use. SHARP!
Last edited by Thomas Nelson; May 12, 2004 at 01:17 AM.
Old May 12, 2004, 12:43 PM
Morristown, New Jersey (excl EWR), United States
Joined Oct 2003
1,110 Posts
Thanks Thomas,

My AUW ready to fly is 14.5oz.

The decals turned out to be a little more opaque than I expected, but from a distance who will know or care

I also have an APC E 5x5 and 7x5 as potential options to try.

Mr. B
Mr. Boogie is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Boogie