HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2004, 08:45 PM
Phoenix Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
Joined Jan 2004
64 Posts
Do you really need to use lipo's?

I see all these flat foam airplanes being advertised and flown with lipos. Do I have to use them? Or can i use something like an 8 cell 650 or 1050 kans? If upgraded to a brushless motor it would seem to have plenty of power to haul around the extra few ounces. I am refering to planes in the 36-39" wingspans. Any input appreciated since I would like a 3D plane but am not sure if i want to go lipo yet.
jgrog76 is offline Find More Posts by jgrog76
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2004, 09:13 PM
Sacramento
Joined Nov 2003
964 Posts
You can use kans, but I wouldnt trade my lithiums for anything, especially while doing 3d
crashingagain is offline Find More Posts by crashingagain
Old May 04, 2004, 10:04 PM
Mayor of Simpleton
Cleveland, OH, USA
Joined Oct 2002
2,193 Posts
Get yourself some Li-Polys............... Then you'll get it.
Tommy632 is offline Find More Posts by Tommy632
Old May 04, 2004, 11:11 PM
Irvine, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrog76
I see all these flat foam airplanes being advertised and flown with lipos. Do I have to use them? Or can i use something like an 8 cell 650 or 1050 kans? If upgraded to a brushless motor it would seem to have plenty of power to haul around the extra few ounces. I am refering to planes in the 36-39" wingspans. Any input appreciated since I would like a 3D plane but am not sure if i want to go lipo yet.
Saying you want to fly 3D stuff but not invest in lipos is like saying you want to track your car but not invest in performance tires. Of course you can do it, but your car won't perform well at the track.

my $.02

hk
hyperknight is offline Find More Posts by hyperknight
Old May 05, 2004, 12:48 AM
Helicrack Addict
Australia, QLD, Forest Lake
Joined Dec 2003
516 Posts
Go with lipos! I tried normal cells and it worked ok but once you try Lipo you'll never go back. Less wieght + more voltage = MORE FUN. The differance between Lipo and regular cells is like the differance between brushless and brushed motors. A little more money but way more fun!!!

Matt.
whopper is offline Find More Posts by whopper
Old May 05, 2004, 09:32 AM
Blucor Fanfold Fan
Tampa
Joined Jul 2003
86 Posts
ditto.
cwat212 is offline Find More Posts by cwat212
Old May 05, 2004, 02:59 PM
Ontario,Canada
Joined Jan 2004
74 Posts
my son as a R3D plane and at first we were flying of 7 cell NiMh and it would barely fly the plane we switch to lipo and voila,unlimited vertical,hovers @ 4000rpm with 700rpm to spare.there is a catch tho,7 cell NiMh =8.4v ,3.7oz.3s E-tech=12.46v,2oz.
Thats on a brushed setup.
later
jeang
jeang is offline Find More Posts by jeang
Old May 05, 2004, 05:45 PM
United Kingdom, England, Marlow
Joined Oct 2002
296 Posts
LiPos are the biggest innovation in model flying in the last 30 years, only of course IMHO.

NEVER will I buy NiCd / NiMH flight packs again.
LiPo cells are done a great disservice by all the doom mongers telling us how dangerous they are, which of course they are if you mistreat them, somewhat like NiCds and NiMHs.

Again, just my opinion.
Dunc is offline Find More Posts by Dunc
Old May 05, 2004, 05:57 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
I haven't bought a brushed motor after trying my first brushless some years ago, and I haven't bought anything but Lipos after I tried them too. They are that good.

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old May 05, 2004, 06:06 PM
Joined Oct 2002
296 Posts
Yea -fok has reminded me that I should have included in my nomination for the greatest innovation over the last 30 years to be a combination of brushless motors and LiPo cells. They are great together. My Hacker powered LiveWire with 3s TP2100 is simply fantastic. Takes to the air in a matter of a few feet and then vertical for as long as I want.

Onlookers can't believe their eyes. Especially when it can cruise past at walking speed as well.
Old May 08, 2004, 07:03 PM
Fort Wayne IN.
Joined Sep 2002
53 Posts
I am 14 yars old and don't now what the last 16 years were like, but when I started useing them I was Astonished at the power and flight time. After you get the lipos you will be very happy! I flew my first 3D eletris models on Nicds (it can be done) and didn't like it until a friend let me use one of his packs, ever since then I have always flown lithium. You'll love it!!
Have fun, Nick
pylonbuster is offline Find More Posts by pylonbuster
Old May 08, 2004, 07:22 PM
prop hangin it (stock)
Philadelphia Pa/Wilm, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Apr 2004
206 Posts
Nothing much more to say ^^^^^^^
joe_d is offline Find More Posts by joe_d
Old May 08, 2004, 08:22 PM
Helicrack Addict
Australia, QLD, Forest Lake
Joined Dec 2003
516 Posts
Pylonbuster, you must be the worlds most mature 14 year old!

Matt.
whopper is offline Find More Posts by whopper
Old May 08, 2004, 08:26 PM
Boss248
n/a Posts
The great thing about lipoly's is they are starting to improve very quickly in both their ability to deliver the amps needed with todays rather amp hungry motors be-it brushed or brush less. I have been using nicads and nimh packs for many years and watched the battery companies take sub C nicads that were 1200mah when I first started electrics stuff over 3600 mah into the same size cell so I am sure we are going to see some remarkable strides in the lipoly industry as well. I guess the answer to your question really falls back on the user...it all depends on what you are looking for in the hobby, some people are quite happy with round batteries.

Boss
Old May 09, 2004, 07:35 AM
Joined Oct 2002
296 Posts
Quote:
some people are quite happy with round batteries
Yea - they are really handy to get the CoG right!! I can't use LiPos in my PicoJEt as the CoG would be too far back! My 950 KANs sort the problem easily! Still would love to see the increase performance of the PicoJet with LiPo cells.