HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2004, 04:58 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,062 Posts
Question
A Trainer for the wind? Do they exist?

Guys. Itís been at least 4 MONTHS since I have purchased and assembled my Slow Stick. In that time I have had just 1 marginal day to fly. Seems the wind is always blowing here at or above 10 MPH. So I ask you, and yes this is a dumb question, is there a trainer that can handle the wind?

I know it goes against reason to ask but I had to. It's hard to tell my GF every week if that "tittle tree" is moving were grounded! I figured perhaps something along the design of a ďflying wingĒ or ME 163 might penetrate the wind and have some semi stable flight abilities.

Bear with me guys Iím going nuts with the weather here. Considering Iím finishing up my 2nd Park Flyer <re-do of a Fokker Eindecker> Iím ready to build something new.

Thanks!

Tommy in Windy NY <Long Island>
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2004, 05:05 PM
Detroit Lakes, MN
Joined Aug 2003
580 Posts
Get a Mountain Models Switchback Sport...easy to fly and handles the wind very well.

My GWS Zero also handles nicely in the wind.
P-51 fan is offline Find More Posts by P-51 fan
Old May 04, 2004, 06:39 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,062 Posts
Looks like a hotrod!

Great Looking bird.....

But that low wing screams a lot of things.... but Trainer in the wind??????

I dunno about that one!!

Tommy in NY
Old May 04, 2004, 06:43 PM
Detroit Lakes, MN
Joined Aug 2003
580 Posts
Don't let the low wing scare you...it is a great flying airplane and easy too, do some searching on it and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I DO know about that one!!
P-51 fan is offline Find More Posts by P-51 fan
Old May 04, 2004, 08:27 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne Beach
Joined Dec 2003
430 Posts
low wing balsa plane + wind + newbie training = very expensive tooth picks
darrell_f is offline Find More Posts by darrell_f
Old May 04, 2004, 10:14 PM
Smooth Air
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Joined Apr 2003
1,500 Posts
Tommy,

You're sort of stuck in a catch 22, that is, waiting for what even most seasoned pilots hope will go away...the wind.

The best times to fly are early, early ,early morning, and late evening. You may just have to russel out of bed to get that flight in. Believe me, I used to be just as impatient when I first was learning.

Most parkflyers cannot handle vast amounts of breeze, and learning, you are best to stay away from it. The Slowstick will handle moderate amounts of breeze. If you're really itching to go out, I would suggest a GWS Beaver..easy to fly, easy to build, and will take a bit of damage.

Thing is, patience will give you summer evenings soon enough.

Geof.
www.smoothair.ca
Morb is offline Find More Posts by Morb
Old May 04, 2004, 11:17 PM
P-61 WWII Night Fighter
Sylmar, CA
Joined Jan 2004
1,538 Posts
Get a Zagi style EPP wing. Add a FMA co-pilot. You have the toughest trainer there is, stable, easy to fly and takes wind.
Solcat is offline Find More Posts by Solcat
Old May 04, 2004, 11:26 PM
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2004
306 Posts
although I don't own one...yet,the Mountain Models SmoothE has a reputation already for being tough and stable,check out this thread... it has sold me! also check out the video at the MM website of the SmoothE flying in 10mph winds

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=smoothe

http://www.mountainmodels.com/smoothe.php

matt
matticulous is offline Find More Posts by matticulous
Old May 04, 2004, 11:26 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,062 Posts
I was thinking about the S&B ME 163 <Komet> Then I saw the price, and figured in shipping to the USA!

It's cheaper to wait for the wind to die, or crash a bunch of S.S's!

Thanks!

Tommy in NY
Old May 05, 2004, 12:36 AM
Moncks Corner S. C.
Joined Jun 2003
1,387 Posts
take a look at the GWS e-starter.
its soposed to take more wind than the ss. and still be a good flyer.
i have not tryed one yet but im ordering one sone.
i fly gws Tiger Moths so i know the wind problem all to well.
like what was posted fly early in the AM or late after noon. i got a 45 min flight tonight at 9 pm but it was dark so a slow stick is to hard to see but i painted one of my TM's neon orange just so i can see it under street lights.
todays winds were around 20mph but as sone as the sun set it was almost no wind at all. and another thing to try is put some lights on your slow stick and fly at night.
stay away from balsa builds till you learn to fly. foam is easy to fix with some 5 min epoxy but balsa if you crash you need days to fix it.
Mangyrat is offline Find More Posts by Mangyrat
Last edited by Mangyrat; May 05, 2004 at 12:39 AM.
Old May 05, 2004, 01:12 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,062 Posts
LoL

You guys are KILLING me! I work from 2 in the afternoon till the wee; hours of the morning!

So durring "prime time" I'm either at work..... or sleeping!

Grrrrrrrr

Tommy in NY (whom agrees at 2:12am <now> there is oh so little wind <and light!> outside presently.)
Old May 05, 2004, 01:37 AM
Moncks Corner S. C.
Joined Jun 2003
1,387 Posts
i have the same hrs as you. i work form 3:45 till 1 am or so. a lot of the time i fly at work at lunch time. or when ever i have a time.
Last edited by Mangyrat; May 05, 2004 at 01:40 AM.
Old May 05, 2004, 01:43 AM
Moncks Corner S. C.
Joined Jun 2003
1,387 Posts
Tommy if i had not trashed my orange TM "that i use for night flying" at work tonight i would be flying right now. i do a lot of night flying with out lights on my TM but its painted neon orange so its easy to see in the dark. i need to add some led lights to it to make a true night flyer.
Old May 05, 2004, 02:36 AM
Joined Feb 2004
578 Posts
yep wind can be nasty things. i also find it hard to fly in the early morning due to work
What i have decided to do is wire up my SS with GLow wire

SO now i fly in the dark... darker the better!

have a look at my SS if you have not seen it in other thread
kennyc is offline Find More Posts by kennyc
Old May 05, 2004, 03:54 AM
Kalamaki, Greece
Joined Mar 2004
317 Posts
I came back to the hobby after about 17 years and got an e-starter kit with 350C motor. I hooked up the ailerons as well and mixed them with the rudder.
Its been a pleasure to fly, although the winds were about 10-12 Kms and I was very rusty aftert such a long absence (I was not that good a pilot even then).
I managed to fly for about 20 minutes during two days and that was mostly due to the fact that the flying field was packed and didn't want to risk causing any damage.
The e-starter is a great plane to have and in my opinion when its windy it responded better with a heavier battery pack. I used a 2000mA NiMh and the plane was very solid. With a 700mA pack, it was almost half the weight and the wind was getting to it a lot more.
thenetpoet is offline Find More Posts by thenetpoet