SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 21, 2001, 10:08 AM
Scarborough, Canada
Joined Nov 2000
96 Posts
Any one build the Tucano in RCM&E?

I am just wonder if anyone has built the Tucano from the plans provided in the latest RCM&E? I've started mine, and is almost finished.. but I am a little concerned about the 1/4" thick wing.. how will that fly? it has a very slight profile, bevellled to 1/8" on LE and TE. I am pretty close to their target weight, so far, I got it to weight 130grams without the canopy(just the airframe).

I want to cut a bunch of lighten holes in the wing, since it's solid 1/4" anyways, and don't need all the strenth.. any reason why I shouldn't do that?

Thanks!
engr is offline Find More Posts by engr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2001, 01:40 AM
Ottawa,Ontario, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
55 Posts
Maybe later this summer I will build one, too many on the go already. I like the Hawk plan too. I think I will finish in Canadian Airforce Colours.

Flat wings fly just fine. If you are concerned about the lack of airfoil, substitue a piece of 3/8" in the centre of wing and make it more airfoilish. I will be finishing mine with Silkspan and Acrylic wood finish and paint on top of that for colour. I have been using this combination a fair bit and find it works well without the smell of dope. I finished up a Simple 400 this way including skinning the wing with 1/32 balsa; all up weight with 7x600ae's is 16.5 oz.
I wouldn't bother with cutting holes in the wing. Post some photo's when done

cheers, Graham
GliderGuider is offline Find More Posts by GliderGuider
Old Jun 22, 2001, 04:55 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
Friends of mine have a couple of them flying at our field now (only had 2 or 3 flights each yet). One has an S400 6V and 7 cells. Flies reasonably well but not very exciting. The other has a 480 and is not too good on 7 cells but o.k. on 8 cells. In fact the S400 flies better, the extra weight of the 480 seems a bit too much for it.

You need to be careful with that wing because it seems to warp easily. The other problem that both had was the aileron torque rods were too floppy which gave almost no directional control at any speed. I'm not sure what size wire they actually used but you might want to check how solid your ailerons are.

BTW up to you of course but you'll probably find that you won't save a lot of weight with holes without losing too much strength and if you cut holes in the wing you'll need a heavier film covering to maintain the shape. Otherwise tissue and dope would do it nicely.

Steve

[This message has been edited by slewin (edited 06-22-2001).]
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Old Jun 22, 2001, 09:01 AM
Trowbridge, United Kingdom.
Joined Dec 2000
65 Posts
I havent built one but had the luck to fly one last Sunday

A new member turned up at our field and had built one to learn on

After sorting the model out (the throws were 6mm up and down)

I set it up on the club buddy box system to at least give him a taste of the model

I was really impressed with the model, it flew really well

I got it at a reasonable height and speed and gave him a go but it he had a few difficulties. He has a trainer that he is going to bring next week which will be far more suitable

I think he had a speed 450 and 8 500ARs which was more than adequate.

...Pete
PeterBlackman is offline Find More Posts by PeterBlackman
Old Jun 22, 2001, 10:14 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2001
47 Posts
I am working on a hawk. I took a chance and scaled it up by 10%, although I dont know how this will effect it. I think it will weigh about 19 ounces when its finished ( I messed up the covering process which didnt help). With the larger wing area, it should work out to be about 13.5 oz per square foot loading. Motocalc says it should fly. the real question is wether I will be able to fly it - I scaled it up in the hope of making it a bit slower and easier to see. My greatest fear is launching it. Although I am fairly happy with its looks so far.
wigham1 is offline Find More Posts by wigham1
Old Jun 22, 2001, 11:42 AM
Swedes don't grow on trees
Sverige, Stockholms Lšn, Stockholm
Joined Jan 2001
496 Posts
In my experience, 6-8 mm sheet wings go very well, at least when you don't fly them inverted. My 25" S400 (own design) pylon racer goes very well with a 6 mm sheet, with a sort of thinned down Clark-Y. It will fly inverted, but needs a lot of down elevator. Outside loops are possible, but quite sluggish.

/ Jonas
Jonas Leander is offline Find More Posts by Jonas Leander
Old Jun 22, 2001, 03:24 PM
Formerly of mcba fame
Luxembourg
Joined Apr 2001
3,007 Posts
Does the Tucano have a balsa wing or a foam wing?
Matthew Allen is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Allen
Old Jun 22, 2001, 03:48 PM
Bath,Somerset,UK
Joined Sep 2000
82 Posts
Hi,

I have just read an article,that both aircraft will be available as kits shortly,thought you might like to know

Cheers

Taube
Taube is offline Find More Posts by Taube
Old Jun 22, 2001, 04:03 PM
Trowbridge, United Kingdom.
Joined Dec 2000
65 Posts
The wing is 1/4 balsa

They were selling the kits at Sandown on the Nexus stand I think they were about £30.

The canopy for the Hawk was £5 which I thought was a bit of a rip off

...Pete

[This message has been edited by PeterBlackman (edited 06-22-2001).]
PeterBlackman is offline Find More Posts by PeterBlackman
Old Jun 22, 2001, 04:44 PM
Prop Nut
Purcellville, VA, USA
Joined Feb 2001
30 Posts
This is next on my list. This looks like a really quick and easy build. Also, there is a very sharp looking black and yellow color scheme from the Brazilian AF.

In looking at the plans, I was a little worried about the aileron torque rod setup. If I am reading the plans right, this is a pushrod connected to the torque rod with tubing. Does anyone have any experience with these setups? It looks light, but not very sturdy. Also, did you guys build up the canopy or order the molded one?
ekeitt is offline Find More Posts by ekeitt
Old Jun 22, 2001, 05:19 PM
REGISTERED LUNATIC!
Carlisle, Cumbria UK
Joined Jun 2001
390 Posts
Hi ENGR,
I've built 5 Hawks and 8 Tucanos.
But there again I designed the damn things!
I've read the comments on the page and don't know how anyone has a problem with the 18SWG piano wire torque rods as ours all work fine.
Andy Johnson (of Halifax, Skyvan, B-17 etc. fame) did all the development flying and I took a video of him doing rolling circles, inverted figure of 8s, fast passes with square loop type climbs, all with full surface control.
they undoubtedly go best on 8 x 800ARs, especially the Hawk.
DON'T use a Jamara 480 as they are cooler than the 400 6v Permax.
If you'd like to see a video of these and other toys such as the NORFOLK & GOODE MUSTPRANG, or my 4x400-engined Capstan in flight, E-mail me on mustprang@ukonline.co.uk and I'll be happy to oblige you with a copy. That applies to anyone else reading this!
As for *not very exciting* - obviously you didn't see them flying at Sandown mate!!
Best wishes,
Nigel Hawes.
PS - ON NO ACCOUNT make holes in the wing!!! These models are not weight critical - one of my battered & beaten Tucanos is now WELL over 1 1/2 lbs and still goes like stink!

FLY ELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by FLY ELECTRIC
Old Jun 22, 2001, 08:02 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2001
47 Posts
http://www.westcumbriarc.f9.co.uk/nigel%20h.htm
wigham1 is offline Find More Posts by wigham1
Old Jun 23, 2001, 03:22 AM
REGISTERED LUNATIC!
Carlisle, Cumbria UK
Joined Jun 2001
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Taube:
Hi,

I have just read an article,that both aircraft will be available as kits shortly,thought you might like to know

Cheers

Taube
Hi Taube,
Hawk & Tucano kits are available now from BVR kits, tel: 01228 560100 (UK).

FLY ELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by FLY ELECTRIC
Old Jun 23, 2001, 04:18 AM
Surrey,UK
Joined May 2001
58 Posts
Fly Electric,
The Tucano and Hawk look like exciting planes to build and fly and I am looking forward to doing just that with at least one of them soon.
One of the previous correspondents mentioned the nipped tube aileron linkage. I have never come across this method before. Can you explain exactly how it should be set up to avoid the problems encountered above?

Regards,
Trev
trevsie is offline Find More Posts by trevsie
Old Jun 23, 2001, 05:56 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FLY ELECTRIC:
I've read the comments on the page and don't know how anyone has a problem with the 18SWG piano wire torque rods as ours all work fine.
You're probably right 18swg is plenty...it's shame the plans show 20swg isn't it ?

Actually, as I said, I don't know if the constructor followed the plans. He tends, like me and most modellers I know, to "improve" things, sometimes to their detriment .

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin