SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 03, 2004, 09:07 PM
Milwaukee G Mitchell, Wisconsin, United States
Joined Mar 2002
757 Posts
How much throw on the P51's ailerons?

If you were about to glue your wing to the fuse on your Patton 48” P51 how much throw would you give to the ailerons?

I’m using two servos for the ailerons so I can experiment with the “land” setting on my Eclipse 7 and to have better control over trimming them out. I always seem to have too much throw so I thought I would pose the question before closing it up.
Anyone?

Thanks,
davidk
davekra is offline Find More Posts by davekra
Last edited by davekra; May 03, 2004 at 09:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2004, 09:44 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
I would give my ailerons as much throw (not through heheh) as possible. Since you have an Eclipse, you can always cut down the throw with dual rates, EPA and/or exponential, but once you glue that wing on you can't get any more.

Get your pushrod attachment point on the torque rod as close as possible to the wing surface so that you have as much mechanical throw as possible. Then use the longest arms you can fit inside the fuse on your servos and connect the pushrod at the furthest out hole possible.

IMHO there is no such thing as too much aileron throw!!

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
Old May 03, 2004, 10:40 PM
Joined Mar 2002
757 Posts
As I have it now there's about 1" of travel up and down. Switching on the landing mode moves them both down about 5/8". That plus the aileron movement moves them down as far as they can go. Does anyone else use flaps on one of these PSS ships? Would it even be controllable with the flaps deployed? The first pic is of the linkage. Because of the way the servos are installed I figured I needed ball links.
Thanks,
davidk
(a proud product of publik schooling)
Old May 03, 2004, 10:53 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Joined Apr 2003
3,035 Posts
I've used 2 servo set ups on some PSS planes but I honestly don't think that they buy you much, if any advantage. I really never used them for landing, they take a good hit being unprotected by a fuselage if they are left down on impact. They don't buy you much lift on the shorter lower aspect wings and they are not of any use in reflex either. I now only use one standard servo, even on the big LEG 60"ers or the Super Tucano that I'm working on. But hey, like Surfimp sez: go for it, you've got it in place...I like the scrunched in, angled servos. Very creative!
Droydxxx
droydx is offline Find More Posts by droydx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sosos
Old May 03, 2004, 11:02 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davekra
If you were about to glue your wing to the fuse on your Patton 48” P51 how much throw would you give to the ailerons?

I’m using two servos for the ailerons so I can experiment with the “land” setting on my Eclipse 7 and to have better control over trimming them out. I always seem to have too much throw so I thought I would pose the question before closing it up.
Anyone?

Thanks,
davidk

How good are ya? If you have a computer radio set the mechanical linkages up so that they move as far as possible. Then in your programming set your high rate so that you have about 45 degrees of throw AND about 75% exponential. Set the low rate at about half of that and set the expo at about 50%. First flights use the low rates and if you want more switch to high, then adjust to taste. Always set the mechanical linkages for MAX throw.

Seperate servos are nearly useless on 48" warbirds. I would normally say completely useless but there's always somebody, somewhere, that one time when the earth rotated backwards, that one day found two servos helpfull to make a landing on some isolated spot of grass.

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old May 03, 2004, 11:52 PM
Joined Mar 2002
757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFLG
Seperate servos are nearly useless on 48" warbirds. I would normally say completely useless but there's always somebody, somewhere, that one time when the earth rotated backwards, that one day found two servos helpfull to make a landing on some isolated spot of grass.
TFLG
Sure I could do one servo. And, yes, the flap thing is just an experiment. But with the linkages sealed in the fuse having two servos allows adjustments that would otherwise require adjusting the linkages. I was planning to bolt the wing on but I did'nt feel it was a solid enough connection so back to glue.
I've got to get this thing ready for paint by the end of the week. I'm going to South Dakota on the 18th for 5 days of slopin, WOOHOO.
Thanks,
davidk
Old May 04, 2004, 12:18 AM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,226 Posts
Be aware if you flip both ailerons down that far your plane is very likely to pitch up 90 degrees in a heartbeat. If you plan on messing with moving the ailerons you are FAR better off going the OTHER direction. Have both of them move up (spoileron). This is a much more controlable method of landing a plane. When you deflect them down you loose too much aileron response.

Spoileron = good
Flaperon = bad

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old May 04, 2004, 01:56 AM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davekra
As I have it now there's about 1" of travel up and down. Switching on the landing mode moves them both down about 5/8". That plus the aileron movement moves them down as far as they can go.
If it were me, I would try to get those nylon connectors down further. I would get them as close to the surface of the wing as possible, without them binding or hitting the wing surface itself at full deflection. You can always reduce it in your radio if need be, but there's nothing--NOTHING--quite as awesome with a PSSer as a good old 1080* per second roll rate. But I like fast rolls, so take that statement with a grain of salt!

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
Old May 12, 2004, 08:29 PM
Joined Mar 2002
757 Posts
Are you guy’s nuts!
I did move the connectors down some. I’ll have to measure just how much throw I have now but it’s more than I had when I posted the pic’s. The wind was rippin today from the south. I was on top of the ski hill (garbage dump) and gave the P51 a heave…5 seconds later it was down. The flight was toss, going down pull up, almost stall give down heading right give left, inverted pull up and land (bounce) on the side of the hill. (note to self, if you put ballast under a hatch that can come off tape it in) Dial in a lot of expo and give it another toss. This time a sloppy run out and circle to the left and land, this time a planned landing. Looked like I was flying drunk. I’ve got to setup some dual rates to reduce the throws till I learn the handling. Should be a great time in South Dakota starting Wednesday.
Old May 12, 2004, 11:40 PM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,939 Posts
On my 48" foamies I have as much aileron throw as I can get!!! Not too much elevator throw--- but my ailerons can move past 45 degrees on most of my warbirds! Then I use dual rates and exponential to take a little of the edge off sometimes-- but we all love to roll as fast as possible-- the B-17 in my other thread will do about 6 rolls per second!! But then--- we're PSS Fanatics!!!!!!!!
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig