Smash ! 35 47.30%
Trash ;-( 39 52.70%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 12, 2004, 10:43 PM
Associate Editor Flying Models
United States, IL, De Land
Joined Jul 2003
668 Posts
Well I'm old school so I'll just keep ploting along in my Jeep Wrangler and blasting Aerosmith out of the stereo. I like the old stuff and this Wrangler is high tech to me, what the h@ll do you need carpeting in a Jeep for? Geeze just give me an old Military Olive Drab M-38. It goes any where and looks darn good with my WWII planes Those Elements look kinda cool, and Toyota Land Cruisers are awesome, got to love those older FJ's. Oh yeah the original Bronco's and Blazer's, not the ones with plastic and stuff, real live axles under there! And HumVees? Don't get me started on those, just deliever me one in standard tri-color camo paint. I like this stuff, but now that I have my Toy (Wrangler) I would not mind getting a fuel efficiant city comute Civic!
RAFguy is offline Find More Posts by RAFguy
Old Jun 12, 2004, 11:24 PM
Joined Jul 2003
668 Posts
Oh whoops they original question, do I like it? I don't know yet, I usally let things grow on me, besides the only car I really hate is the Chevette!

Sorry Chevette car collectors
Old Jun 12, 2004, 11:47 PM
two left feet
Austin, TX
Joined Aug 2003
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFguy
Sorry Chevette car collectors
I think they prefer to be called sanitation engineers.

But you could start a whole 'nuther thread about the worst cars... for carrying planes or anything! There was a list published a few months ago in some mag.. I think the AMC Pacer and Yugo were at the top of the "worst cars ever" list.

My list would mostly include chevys : I've driven a new cavalier that felt like it was 20 years old, and my family owned a celebrity and beretta.. both really awful cars.

On the other hand, I've always loved the 68-73 original mako shark vettes. Prettiest cars I have ever seen.
busybee is offline Find More Posts by busybee
Old Jun 13, 2004, 01:27 AM
"Have Glue - Will Travel"
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
RAFguy,

I agree, some things do have to "grow" on you, and this Scion is definitely no different.

Busybee, weren't you the one with the great "come take a ride in my Formosa" video awhile back? I hope she's still flying, I love that plane; I just finished my Tiger Moth 400 and I put an AXI 2212/26 in her; I'm going to have to add about an ounce of nose weight to get the CG to balance... I think I have an old bottle of English Leather that might do the trick! I must say that the most beautiful car I've seen was a 1955 Thunderbird about 2 weeks ago in a Wal Mart parking lot, an immaculate frame-off restoration car that was pearl white with red interior, with a port hole hardtop and had the original Kelsey Hayes wire wheels and continental kit! Valued was at least $50,000, I'd say. Those '55-'57 T-birds were works of art.

Ronnie
dawnron1 is offline Find More Posts by dawnron1
Old Jun 13, 2004, 02:05 AM
two left feet
Austin, TX
Joined Aug 2003
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnron1
RAFguy,

I agree, some things do have to "grow" on you, and this Scion is definitely no different.

Busybee, weren't you the one with the great "come take a ride in my Formosa" video awhile back? I hope she's still flying, I love that plane;
Hey, glad someone remembers that! Thanks.... Yep, the Formosa is still flying, a little worse for the wear after a couple of crashes and sitting in my car in the Texas sun. Plus the mounting of the 2808/16 is an ongoing challenge, but the power is fantastic. Been awhile since I strapped the camera in it. Guess I should update the thread!
busybee is offline Find More Posts by busybee
Old Apr 01, 2012, 03:54 PM
North Central Positronics
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,323 Posts
RECAP 8 years later

I figured I would update this thread. I liked my XB when I bought it. It now had 240K miles on it, 8 years later and I now say it is the best car I have ever owned. Still consistently gets between 35-40 mpg, doesn't use any oil. Other than routine, total maintenance has been one wheel bearing, two door lock actuators, and one coil pack. I have so enjoyed owning it that I now have a total of three of them. My original 04 now at 240k, an 05 with 70k, and another 05 with 8k miles sitting in reserve :-)

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
badbill is offline Find More Posts by badbill
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2012, 04:08 PM
Newbie Emeritus
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Nov 2002
165 Posts
Bill has as many Scions as I have BMWs!
BimmerM3 is offline Find More Posts by BimmerM3
Old Apr 01, 2012, 04:35 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
That Xb looks pretty tame now compared to the Kia soul, and the Nissan Cube and Juke.

Looks like they supersized the new Xb's right out of their original target market.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Apr 01, 2012, 04:47 PM
North Central Positronics
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,323 Posts
Yes, that's why i gathered up a couple more of the older ones. The new ones get less gas mileage, and I just dont like them as well.

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
badbill is offline Find More Posts by badbill
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2012, 10:11 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,166 Posts
The new Xb is remarkably similar to an Element in size, power and mpg. (Element production has ended) My son was a big fan of the original Xb, but now likes the Cube, doesn't care for the newer Xb. I don't know why they upsized it so quickly, I think the original had a lot of things going for it, and obviously, well made!

My son is 22 and doesn't own a car, really wants a Mini, but also wants to be able to haul things, like bass and amp, camping gear, etc., so utility is still an issue, even for the yutes!
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:39 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbill View Post
I figured I would update this thread. I liked my XB when I bought it. It now had 240K miles on it, 8 years later and I now say it is the best car I have ever owned.
Gee forgot all about this thread. Thanks for the update.
As for my update... I traded in my old Maxima @ 130K (no more repairs other than noted earlier in the thread0 and ended up with an 04 4-Runner. Again, function over form me me Currently it only has about 130K miles. Tows the trailer (same one) like it's not there. Mileage isn't as good as the old Maxima (I can eek out 24MPG in the warmer months mixed driving, 30ish highway) but still respectable for what it is. Doesn't handle like the old Maxima (Duhhh) but still has a better, quieter ride than a lot of cars I've drive/ridden in. Our first Toyota, and I have to say I'm impressed. So much so that the wife currently has an 07 Camery Hybrid, and my daughter has an 01 Highlander. They've all been rock solid.

Even though the Scion's are too small for my needs, I'm not a fan of what they've done to them with the new designs.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:46 AM
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Feb 2011
0 Posts
Trailer

Can't beat a good pickup and an enclosed trailer.
Scorpian is offline Find More Posts by Scorpian
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:35 PM
Joined Jul 2003
668 Posts
Wow, an old thread for sure! I realized when I posted this, I was on Jeep #2, a 2002 Wrangler X. Long story short, three years after that post, wife traded Wrangler in on Grand Caravan. Caravan was junk, after six months traded in on a "comprimise" Jeep Grand Cherokee. Still wasn't happy. Divorced said wife, got rid of Grand Cherokee, bought a 1997 Wranger cheap and have felt back at home since. Even traded up to a better fiance'

Toyota's are bullet proof. The only other car besides Jeep I have not been able to kill. My first car was a 1980 Corolla and it had well over 240K before the rust reaper took her.