Old May 03, 2004, 09:57 PM
Bad Gunkie
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iso Octane
Nice Scion!

I gotta know though, are you within the age demographic that Toyota is trying target?

Variety is the spice of life. Different is cool, and the xB is certainly different.

Yes, I am... I'm 47

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
badbill is offline Find More Posts by badbill
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2004, 11:38 PM
I'm big in Japan
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2004
439 Posts
These shapes have been big in Japan for a while... nothing is going to be more space efficient than a box!

Its the ultimate urban utilitarian vehicle. Whats refreshing is that it has all the space people justify as the reason they "need" a huge 4500+lbs SUV to get to and from work, but that is better optimized for the streets we drive on everyday with the ride height, suspension, and wheel/tire package. What I mean is that it doesn't have be a symbol to try and make others think we are a rally racing, rock climbing, desert traversing adventurist when we know our vehicles will so rarely encounter any condition that could justify it (and that 1% I know I forced myself to take bad roads or pull it into the mud could have easily been avoided or traversed with a cheap auto-sensing part-time 4WD)! Been there with a 4WD EB Expedition (figured if big is good, bigger is better), but we had enough sense to get rid of that overly raised gas guzzler that rarely saw worse than grass and gravel roads and does not exactly take kindly to being thrown around like a passenger car. I'm sure its great for someone that trailers horses through backroads, but was a waste for us.

Unfortunately, while I like the concept of that Scion (cheap and ultra-utilitarian) I'm not the biggest fan on the styling. Most don't like my daily driver either though since it looks like an Egg on Wheels, but its also very practical for toting around planes. I don't have a pic of mine on this computer, but its similar to this guys red ZX3:

Mine is setup a little different though with bi-Xenon headlights, trim/exterior work, ASA KA3s wrapped in 215/40/17 Ecsta MXs, intercooled Aerocharger 9PSI VATN turbocharger kit, H&R adjustable coilovers, and the weight savings mods include the removal of the rear seats that are replaced with a flat aluminum floor so the whole hatch area is empty (you can lay down back there in spite of how short the car is heheh). Still a bubble, but it can be made very light and quick with lots of interior room (unlike the GTI for example, it uses a 5-point multi-link rear suspension which really sticks like glue... and uhmm keeps the car flat in the turns so your RC stuff stays put haha).

The ultimate if you aren't on a budget IMO would be either a:
Volvo V70 R
or
Audi S4

These wagons are like our SUVs except that they're lighter for better acceleration and gas mileage, sport grippier low-profile street tires, lower COG for improved handling, and a real road-touring independent suspension. Unfortunately, wagons are not an easy sell in Texas as it doesn't make you look "tuff".
Ducman69 is offline Find More Posts by Ducman69
Last edited by Ducman69; May 04, 2004 at 02:15 AM.
Old May 03, 2004, 11:54 PM
usa
Joined Mar 2003
1,018 Posts
How about driving to the EP flight line in an EP car. JT
BING! is offline Find More Posts by BING!
Old May 04, 2004, 07:17 AM
I'm kind of a big deal
Tarpon Springs, FL USA
Joined Feb 2002
852 Posts
Not bad, but I like my Honda Element better

I own an Element and a Ford Expedition (company truck) and while the Element is a little strange looking I enjoy driving it much more than the Expedition. It has more head room, gets better gas mileage and the rubber matted floors are kid proof. I can't wait till the wife needs a new car and the Element is all mine.

Shawn
Tarpon Shawn is offline Find More Posts by Tarpon Shawn
Old May 04, 2004, 07:47 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iso Octane
Nice Scion!
I gotta know though, are you within the age demographic that Toyota is trying target?
I was wondering the same. Honda missed the mark there. Seems the over 50 crowd is buying the Elements, not the 20 somethigns that was the target.

BTW, I never really "worried" if what I was driving looked or gave the ilusion of being cool. Heck I drive a 96 Maxima and love it. Certinally not the best looking car even in it's day, but it's been payed for, a blast to drive, I get about 30-32MPG, and in 96K miles I only had to replace a $48 ideler pully, and just replaced the front brake pads @ about 94K.
I use a 8'x5' trailer for hauling planes and stuff. Nothign fancy there either, just a white box. Function over form
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old May 04, 2004, 10:15 AM
I'm big in Japan
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2004
439 Posts
Quote:
I only had to replace a $48 ideler pully, and just replaced the front brake pads @ about 94K.
Might be time to replace the oil and oil-filter too.
Old May 04, 2004, 10:25 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,524 Posts
Well I meant except for PM stuff
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old May 04, 2004, 10:36 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
94 K on a set of brakes is pretty good. I replaced the brakes on my SS Camaro about every 4 months for the first two years when I was actively road racing it. Dragging a 3300 pound, 380 HP car down from 145 mph every lap really eats up those 'Z' pads... What's your best ET? My best is 13.4 @ 106.4 mph - still have the time slip - and that was before the bolt-on induction mods... My mileage isn't too bad, either; I get over 28 mpg if I can cruise at about 90 or so (gotta go that fast to really use 6th gear)...

BTW, try Mobil One if you still drive on Dino-oil - going to all synthetics fluids gave me a 15 HP boost...
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Last edited by Mike Taylor; May 04, 2004 at 10:44 AM.
Old May 04, 2004, 12:53 PM
Michele Somaschini, Spain
Madrid (Spain)
Joined Sep 2001
1,102 Posts
Here's mine after a trip to the field this winter.

It's a 7 seater but I've no girlfriend, no wife, no children to carry. I bought it only because I can pack all models inside.

It has a one piece glass roof over the first two seat rows: very nice in sunny days.

60 liter tank = 850 Kmts going into speed limits.
RookieOne is offline Find More Posts by RookieOne
Old May 04, 2004, 03:14 PM
prop hangin it (stock)
Philadelphia Pa/Wilm, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Apr 2004
206 Posts
This:

Looks JUST like a red Ford Focus... is it??? It sure does look like one xD

This is the car you (anyone) want(s):
joe_d is offline Find More Posts by joe_d
Old May 04, 2004, 03:17 PM
prop hangin it (stock)
Philadelphia Pa/Wilm, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Apr 2004
206 Posts
My mom has this:

but gold, and it carries planes to the feild just nice.. however I wish we could use my dad's car, it would do it A LOT better:

(thats not his EXACT but same color/year)
joe_d is offline Find More Posts by joe_d
Old May 04, 2004, 03:51 PM
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Oxford, PA
Joined Aug 2003
1,357 Posts
This is what gets me to the field and back...

...and pretty quickly, too, I might add...

-Mike
Mikey C. is offline Find More Posts by Mikey C.
Old May 04, 2004, 04:23 PM
I'm big in Japan
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2004
439 Posts
Quote:
Looks JUST like a red Ford Focus... is it??? It sure does look like one xD
Bingo! What you are comparing it to is a SVT Focus, which is to the Focus ZX3 what the Cobra is to the Mustang. That pictured, as well as mine, are ZX3 models which only come with 130hp stock and a 5-speed transmission amongst other differences. However, both that ZX3 and mine are highly modified so they can leave stock SVT models in the dust.
Old May 04, 2004, 05:21 PM
two left feet
Austin, TX
Joined Aug 2003
1,091 Posts
best vehicle of all time

For any purpose. If you've had one, you'll know. I owned one for 5 years then traded it in for my current car

Need to get another one soon.
busybee is offline Find More Posts by busybee
Last edited by busybee; May 04, 2004 at 05:24 PM.
Old May 04, 2004, 05:27 PM
Newbie Emeritus
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Nov 2002
165 Posts
I've driven (and ridden in) Bill's xB. It is definately a neat little car. It's really surprising to see how small it is in person, but then how much room it has inside. I'm 6'-2" and have an easy 6" of headroom. Heck, could wear a sombrero if I wanted to!

You won't get any 33% planes in it, but it's perfect for carrying lots of "normal" size planes.
BimmerM3 is offline Find More Posts by BimmerM3