HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2004, 11:19 AM
Bellevue, Nebraska
Joined May 2004
2 Posts
Help!
Good Books?

I'm buying a Nichimo 1/200 Yamato and have never done any R/C. I'd like to do more than just forward/reverse, left/right with it but I don't know diddly about wiring, what servos, etc. Are there any good books that would help? I haven't found any clubs near here so I'm kinda on my own.

I want to be able to rotate/elevate the turrets/gun directors and do some lighting.

I've tried to find pictures on the forums but they're mostly exterior shots.

Any help would be appreciated.

opusmax is offline Find More Posts by opusmax
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2004, 12:19 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,228 Posts
If you can hook up the rudder, you can rotate the guns. There isn't much difference in the principles. I you want more than 90 degrees of rotation, then you can create a 2-1 gear ration(or larger) between the servo and the turret you want to rotate.

Elevation in a scale model can be done with a ring cam. As the turret rotates, a wire, or roller on the back of the barrels will follow a ring that forces the that wire down, and the opposite end of the gun barrels to elevate.

Using a servo to elevate the guns is possible, but then the servo will need to rotate on a platform beneath the gun to stay in position.

I hope this is a little helpful, I can post diagrams or pictures later if you need them.
I am a bit pressed for time right now.

Umi

I am not sure where you want to put lights, but there are plenty of grain of wheat bulbs, or LEDs available. They can be found at your local hobby shop in the train section, or local electronic suppliers.
Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old May 03, 2004, 04:34 PM
Bellevue, Nebraska
Joined May 2004
2 Posts
Thanks for the input, It's kind of what I had in mind. I guess what I'm looking for is something that tells me what servos and power supplies to use and how to hook them all together. Should I put my lights on a separate power supply? Do people use an RC channel to turn on/off lights? I've been trying to figure out how many channels I'll need and so far this is my list. Am I overlooking something?
1. Speed
2. Turning
3. front turrets (both) axis
4. front turrets (both) elevation
5. & 6. same for aft gun
7. turn off/on lights
(maybe) 8. smoke generator
opusmax is offline Find More Posts by opusmax
Old May 03, 2004, 10:11 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,228 Posts
If you gang the front turrets, and the aft turret together, you can rotate an elevate them using only two channels. You would just have to reverse the mechanics on the rear turret, so that they will all rotate to one side of the ship.
You could also save a channel using the ring cam for the elevation. The cam would be set so that the guns would elevate as the turrets rotated to either side.
So theoretically,
1. Speed
2. Steering
3. Rotation all turrets
4. click on click off lights, and click on click off smoke generator.

So you could still have three channels free. And any one channel can turn on up to 5 momentary switches. Or you could invest in one of those 8-16 switch channel expanders.

I thought I posted this page of diagrams before, but it seems to have disappeared.
Some day I will rescan this, and fix it up . I try to keep all the lighting and other accessories on the same voltage (12V) When you get too many different power voltage systems in the boat, it becomes easy to cross circuit the batteries and burn something up. However, LEDs are a great source for lights, and they will practically never need to be replaced. So as long as you can keep the wiring color coded and separate there is no reason why you can't use two different voltages for accessories.
Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Last edited by Umi_Ryuzuki; May 04, 2004 at 02:42 AM.
Old May 03, 2004, 11:36 PM
Joined Apr 2004
17 Posts
a link to a 8 or 16 channel unit
Here

Joe
Crash104936221 is offline Find More Posts by Crash104936221
Old Jun 07, 2007, 10:47 AM
1855-1921 Naval Fan
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2006
577 Posts
Sorry to drag up an old post.
Umi and others, have you considered putting capacitors in-line between the switch and the device to be switched on and off; in this case LEDs? This would stop the activation of the middle terminals as the servo arm traveled from neutral to the last contact/switch.

Stu
OD'ing on caffeine and full of ideas
Stu :) is offline Find More Posts by Stu :)