SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 29, 2001, 02:40 AM
heli on the brain
Apple Valley/Victorville, Ca
Joined Apr 2001
544 Posts
Attacked by a Red Tail Hawk

... I saw one of the most bizzare , and coolest things i haver ever seen this morning while at my local field. My friend was flying his Fandango (which is monokoted trans. green/yellow) when out of the blue this brown streak appears and stops right above him. No less than one foot away, hovering, ready to strike with its talons outstretched, was a fierce little Red Tail Hawk! It followed his every movement,tempted to strike, but unsure of what it was really dealing with. They played a game of 'cat and mouse' for about half a minute before it noticed us excitedly screaming "red tail!!!" up at it and decided to stop its attack. What an amazing thing that was! Has anybody ever heard of or experienced anything like this before? It was like something right out of National Geographic!

... breath-takingly unbelievable

DeZ
dezflyer is offline Find More Posts by dezflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2001, 03:54 AM
Albuq, NMex USA
Joined Jan 2001
607 Posts
Yep,

About 10 years ago flying a friends Oly 650 at four or five hundred feet, I saw a fast brown blur pass by the glider. Then began a little fun flying with the hawk, loops and tight turns. When landed the plane had one talon hole in the wing. It was very cool!

Mike
MikeC is online now Find More Posts by MikeC
Old Apr 29, 2001, 08:00 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
I was flying a Push-E-Cat by three hawks when one went into a stoop and hit the side of the plane. It cracked the styrofoam on one side and the PEC sprialed to the ground. A bit of Goop and the PEC was back in the air the next day. All I did was stand there with my mouth open going WOW!
Don
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Apr 29, 2001, 08:24 AM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,229 Posts
I've had Hawks trail me before but never had an attack. Even that is cool! Now that would have made a great picture for the Multiplex photo contest!

I remember one time when all I had was a rudder/elevator trainer in the air and I felt relatively immobile compared to the Hawk.

My Zagis seem to make too much noise for their liking and they never get close.
Greg Covey is online now Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old Apr 29, 2001, 10:28 AM
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,961 Posts
Hawk attacks seem to be more common than you might imagine. When I used to fly slope in Kansas, the buzzards flew with us all the time, and just seemed to treat the slopers like another bird. We'd use them to find better lift, and if they saw we were climbing, they'd come and join US.

But the hawks were another story. They wanted to be left alone. We'd fly with one sometimes, and he'd either exit the area or react hostilely. He took two big talon-fuls out of my friends sloper. Pretty wild.

Jim
Jim Ryan is online now Find More Posts by Jim Ryan
Old Apr 29, 2001, 11:03 AM
FSR
Rewired Member
Woodstock, GA
Joined Apr 2001
85 Posts
A redtail got into formation behind my Soar Birdie about fifteen years ago, and I thought it was just coincidence. When I made a shallow turn, the hawk followed right along behind. After it continued to follow through three more turns, it became obvious that the hawk was either planning on mating with my sailplane or was sizing it up for an attack.

I put the plane into a shallow dive, with the redtail following about ten feet behind, then pulled in sharp up elevator and looped the glider, pulling out behind the hawk. Whatever was in his mind in the beginning seemed to vanish because he flapped his wings rapidly and flew away in a big hurry.
FSR is offline Find More Posts by FSR
Old Apr 29, 2001, 02:53 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,179 Posts
I took off with my Chubby Lady with a huge flock of seagulls on the ground.They all lifted off at once, formed up and followed my CL. I clipped one by accident and prop came off, no apparent damage to seagull. Every since, groups of seagulls closely follow my CL as if to say "get the flock out of here", this is our field. Can't we just get along????
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Apr 29, 2001, 03:31 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
I had a Gull play follow the leader with my robbe Jungmeister. Really close and you could see him craning his head and really eyeing it. This lasted at least 6-7 minutes. He never attacked and we got the feeling that he was really curious, but not like, offended or threatened. I snap rolled really tite and he flipped out and flew away fast, looking back over his wing to be sure the plane wasn't following.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Apr 29, 2001, 05:07 PM
Kent, Wa.
Joined Feb 2001
642 Posts
In the late 70's I was a member of the Hill Country Fliers in Morgan Hill Ca. Hill Country was the site of a private automoble and aircraft museam.

One of our club members was a very goo stunt flier. He had a 1/5th scale Bucker Jugman. Emphissis on HAD!

One saturday morning while flying we were joined by a Red Tailed Hawk. So this guy starts teasing the hawk with this NICE YELLOW BUCKER. Well the bird got a little provoked. The hawk showed us that he could ge altitude faster than the BUCKER could. The bird got about 50 ft. above the BUCKER, folded his wings, stuck out the talons, and hit the BUCKER square in the center of the top wing. The guy flying the BUCKER was in SHOCK!. The rest of us were laughing very hard.

The lesson was learned. DON'T MESS WITH THE HAWK!

We all still laugh about it when the subject comes up.

Robbie
Rotten Robbie is offline Find More Posts by Rotten Robbie
Old Apr 29, 2001, 06:05 PM
Senior Moments...I forgot
New Hyde Park, NY
Joined Mar 2001
1,007 Posts
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dezflyer:
[B]... I saw one of the most bizzare , and coolest things i haver ever seen this morning while at my local field.

A few years ago I flew my ulimated glider into wave lift next to a hawk and the hawk thought I was to close. I peeled off but not fast enought and he put his tslons into the bottom of wing from the leading edge to the trailing edge. The full sheeted wings bore six tracks of his talons.
JohnC is offline Find More Posts by JohnC
Old Apr 29, 2001, 07:04 PM
United States, NC, Harrisburg
Joined Mar 1999
1,165 Posts
About two months ago I had the opportunity to fly formation with two crows.I was slope soaring in excellent lift when joined by these birds for a little fun.They followed closely behind mirroring my every move.This must have gone on for 3 or 4 minutes.I could push the nose down and leave them,but I tried to keep them around as long as possible.I think they were just curious,no attacks.I was blown away by this.
Hammer is offline Find More Posts by Hammer
Old Apr 30, 2001, 12:11 AM
Roy UT, USA
Joined Apr 2001
10 Posts
About 12 years ago at the local slope here in Oregon, we had a Bald Eagle destroy a 2 meter ship in the air. Was just chuncks of Balsa and monokote when it reached the ground.
Greg Bartel is offline Find More Posts by Greg Bartel
Old Apr 30, 2001, 12:40 AM
myspace.com/graehl
Joined Mar 2001
403 Posts
was fling with a guy at a beach slope
he hit dead on with a segul
the bird feel down the slope and died
his plane crashed too but it was a foamy

...A little off-subject...
a year ago down at my local beach(REDONDO) i flew a SIG Ninga with a feed mouse and top of the wing

The funniest part was that even with flips and spins(SLOW) the little one refused to let go of the ULTRACOAT

Finally with some fast,sharp moves i was able to put the poor thing out of it's misery
and down it fell
Kevin Graehl is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Graehl
Old Apr 30, 2001, 01:45 AM
TTT
Toowoomba Qld Aust
Joined Jan 2001
74 Posts
First flight of new pride and joy, my first plane a Nora all going well, instructor handed tx to me my first flight...all great till....a magpie came out of nearby trees. Around nesting season they become particularly agressive with other birds and at times will dive bomb people. This one followed the Nora around getting closer till it attacked the T-tail, immediately the plane inverted I threw the tx back to the instructor like a hot potato he struggled with it but it bit the dirt with some damage. Close inpection showed that I hadn't properly glued the elevator pushrod where it exits the tail and it broke loose when the maggie hit it...
Buddies at work nearly wet themselves when I told them I had been shot down by a maggie....

Terry
TTT is offline Find More Posts by TTT
Old Apr 30, 2001, 02:42 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,526 Posts
Over the years I have had two bird attacks. A Sparrow attacked my IFO and flew right through the clear plastic. IFO kept flying and was later repaired with a piece of tape. Years ago I had a paraplane attacked by a hawk that dove over 100 feet before hitting it. Collapsed the chute and broke the plastic protection ring around the prop and chute snagged as did hawk. Hawk escaped about 100 feet above ground and chute partially redeployed to help break the fall. Landed on the edge of the cliff I was standing on. A few feet further out and it would have been lost forever. Mike
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member