SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 03, 2004, 06:56 AM
United States, IL, West Chicago
Joined Oct 2000
100 Posts
Retreivel Boat?

Boaters,
I have just moved into a new house with a pond directly behind it. I am planning on flying my small Electric Tiny out my backyard but am leary of dropping it in the water. Has anyone ever heard/seen an electric boat with a powered hook? I know if might be far fetched to think I could hook it remotely--but maybe not. I was also thinking that if I used a float plane a dropped it in...
Just a thought.
Paul
Paul Braatelien is offline Find More Posts by Paul Braatelien
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2004, 01:09 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,459 Posts
Any model tug boat, or slow scale ship can push a plane in. I have done it with my destroyer. As long as the plane is on floats it is easy.

Ok, easy is a relative word. There are times in our games where we have to push a 60" destroyer thru a 14" wide harbor gate while being shot at by other ships. So I would say that people in our club have a little more practice at picking up a stranded object on the pond and pushing it to a location. Another tool we have is to drag a small bouy beihind the boat trailing a dull trebel hook on a line. The recovery captain can make a turn around the stern of a stranded ship, and the bobber and hook will cut inside the turn and catch the rudder or propeller and shafts. The stranded boat can then be towed back to the harbor. We practice these methods quite often as a stranded or sunk boat will cost us a game in combat.

Most model boaters keep a tennis ball tied to a fishing reel in the pond kits. If a boat stops running, or overturns, they will throw the tennis ball over the boat, and then reel the ball and boat back into the shore. I am sure it will work just as well with an airplane.
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old May 03, 2004, 04:30 PM
Joined Oct 2000
100 Posts
Thanks Umi,
The first solution sounds more fun, the second less expensive and maybe more practical. I still need to find out from the park service if I am allowed to run an electric boat in the water.
Paul
Old May 06, 2004, 10:09 AM
and this wire goes where?
Southampton Eastleigh, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jun 2003
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki
Most model boaters keep a tennis ball tied to a fishing reel in the pond kits. If a boat stops running, or overturns, they will throw the tennis ball over the boat, and then reel the ball and boat back into the shore. I am sure it will work just as well with an airplane.
You know, I have been keeping an eye on ebay for the last couple of weeks for a cheap "rescue vessel" to accompany my Aquarama to the pond for it's mainden voyage "just in case" Why didn't I think of a tennis ball and string much cheaper option...
Dongledell is offline Find More Posts by Dongledell
Old May 07, 2004, 04:30 PM
Washington
Joined Mar 2004
11 Posts
Paul,

I do not know if you have seen this site yet. The section on towing and recovery may be of use to you.

http://www.vac-u-boat.com/Towing_Recovery.htm

Todd
toddk is offline Find More Posts by toddk
Old May 11, 2004, 08:55 AM
Joined Oct 2000
100 Posts
Thanks Todd,
I am not sure if I want to get into boats that much (I am looking for something ready to go out of the box) but that may be my best bet.
Paul
Old Jun 24, 2004, 08:44 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,459 Posts
I am lookin for the same thing but my retrieval distance may be over a half mile as the small lake I use is 3/4 of a mile across. I need to use binocs just to see what direction I am running at times. A fish pole is out of the question. I like the tug solution but dont have anything below to snag on my schooner. Pushing probubly won't work so I may need to snag the bowsprit rigging somehow. Ideas...anyone?
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Jun 24, 2004, 11:32 AM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
Tennis is Good for Your Health!

Well, Paul (namesake of my only son, Paul Britton), I think that Umi Ryuzuki, who is a highly acknowledged professional person and ship modeller/designer, replying to your question is a serious honour, mate!

1/.Best to fly into wind (up-garden direction) and wear a wet suit.

2/.Improve Tennis aim, and net boat with super-fine fishing line I use to hang model planes over my bar with. (they appear to be flying after an hour or so, when I'm there!)

3/. Give up the idea of not being interested in model boats in order to report the results of your efforts here for the advance of hobby!!

With Kind Regards

Ade

(I could train my new puppy "Harris" to swim/retrieve and rent him to you?)
Adrian Britton is offline Find More Posts by Adrian Britton
Last edited by Adrian Britton; Jun 24, 2004 at 11:34 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 12:28 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,459 Posts
Well a nice vac-u-boat may be what you guys need.
They look like simple construction.
Most out of the box boats will not have the power to push things up wind. For the most part the only ship I typically run is a 1/72nd scale destroyer. (it's a ship with a pointy bow) I have been able to recover eight foot long(100 lbs) cruisers in calm seas. But if a wind is up I wouldn't have the power.
It took two of us about 15 minutes to get a big ship like that up wind on the pond.
And we have to balance the ship on the pointy bow. My best distance is probably 200 feet and the recovery target was a basketball.

Balancing the "tow" is the most difficult part of any recovery. The secondary skill would be getting that "tow" thru a 14 inch wide harbour gate. A tug model will typically have rubber tires to give it grip, and help maintain the tow on the balance point.

Hoghappy, It seems that you would be able to snag a keel or the rudder with a drag line off of a recovery ship. If you try it and it does not work then you could easily build a small tower on the recovery boat to catch your rigging. Otherwise you have to practice balancing the two boats under tow. If you have to recover over any great distance, then depth perception becomes the biggest problem.

Practice is the only way to make any ship to ship recovery an easy and sure thing.
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Jun 24, 2004, 01:16 PM
太刀風
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Jan 2003
1,103 Posts
Umi's destroyer also has a pointy butt.
Tachikaze is online now Find More Posts by Tachikaze
Old Aug 17, 2004, 10:52 PM
Joined Aug 2004
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghappy
I am lookin for the same thing but my retrieval distance may be over a half mile as the small lake I use is 3/4 of a mile across. I need to use binocs just to see what direction I am running at times. A fish pole is out of the question. I like the tug solution but dont have anything below to snag on my schooner. Pushing probubly won't work so I may need to snag the bowsprit rigging somehow. Ideas...anyone?
a small motor or row boat? canoe
just a thought
rob164 is offline Find More Posts by rob164
Old Aug 27, 2004, 12:28 AM
115 inches of 'hog
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2004
2,699 Posts
I just bought the Aquacraft "Bristol Bay" boat to recover my GWS beaver on floats. Only $200 Ready to run, just add battery pack 7.2v ($15) Comes with radio, and even working nav lights!!!! Looks nice too. Check it out...Good size boat too.... http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/boats/hcab60-main.html
ScaleBrad is offline Find More Posts by ScaleBrad
Old Aug 27, 2004, 10:04 AM
Framingham, MA
Joined Jun 2003
91 Posts
Try a Google search for the Dickie harbor tug. It is a RTR (if that is the right term?) R/C boat that is less than that Bristol Bay. Look on eBay too.
Beez is offline Find More Posts by Beez
Old Sep 04, 2004, 04:45 AM
Burnley, Lancashire, England
Joined May 2004
65 Posts
re retrieving models

Hi Guys,
A similar question was posted a few days ago in the Dock talk forum - here's the link:-
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266574

There's a diagram I did there for a very simple and inexpensive device i put together a while back for retrieving stranded boat models - have a look and let me know what you think.
Nige
English Nige is offline Find More Posts by English Nige
Old Sep 12, 2004, 11:37 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,811 Posts
Quote:
Another tool we have is to drag a small bouy beihind the boat trailing a dull trebel hook on a line. The recovery captain can make a turn around the stern of a stranded ship, and the bobber and hook will cut inside the turn and catch the rudder or propeller and shafts. The stranded boat can then be towed back to the harbor.
The best length for the tow line is 4 to 6 times the hull length of the towing boat. I have a 12 foot towline for my 30 inch tug. My 51 inch USCGC TAMAROA uses a 22 foot long towline.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob