HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old May 03, 2004, 04:02 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,165 Posts
Multiplex Easy Star - thread 5

My daddy told me to start this thread so I did. OK?

This is a continuation of the Easy Star Thread, and you can get to the Multiplex Easy Star - thread 4 here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0&page=1&pp=15

Idaho potato for Tim Hooper.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Last edited by Treetop; May 03, 2004 at 04:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2004, 04:07 AM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,165 Posts
Tim if you could do your magic, and seal the link, or freeze the frame, or whatever it is that you do, I would appreciate it.

If I didn't do this right and the thread is lost forever, you can blame jcosta, Lisboa, Portugal. Look for the guy with the little bitty potato. tt
Old May 03, 2004, 05:22 AM
SlopeHead
Lisboa, Portugal
Joined Jan 2004
2,882 Posts
Great potato, TT!!!!

I didn't order you to create this, I just suggested you should have the honours being one of the largest posters in the previous threads...
You are the topmost EasyStar expert, except for a minor detail soon to be solved.

And no, you can't call me "dad", you're far too old to be my son...

Anyway, just to begin the thread in a positive mood, I am considering buying a new EZ* because mine is showing severe signs of wear and tear.
My old one would be my daughter's trainer, as soon as I make the buddy cable (been too busy flying things with 4.8V battery packs).
On the other hand, I now have 5 models in flying condition Plus an indoor model that just needs a quick switch of receiver and ESC from another one to be operational. It might be a little too much...

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make a disconnectable antenna? What kind of wire and plugs should I use? There is a limit to the number of receivers I am willing to own...
jcosta is offline Find More Posts by jcosta
Old May 03, 2004, 05:40 AM
Austria
Joined Apr 2004
5 Posts
Gromit:

Gruezi, Nachbar, thanks for the friendly attention.

There is a beautiful webside especially for that- http://www.tyber.com/easystar/
But unfortunatly it seems to get little support- maybe you could help, for example with your 1-hour setup -as a start.

Alles Gute

Gracian
Gracian is offline Find More Posts by Gracian
Old May 03, 2004, 06:15 AM
Throw Caution to the Wind
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Feb 2004
2,651 Posts
I thought I'd better chime in quickly, just to add to the continuing mayhem of the Mega Thread.

I had been flying my EZ* several times a week until I caught a recent bout of Seeker-itis. Hadn't taken the poor plane out (except for one flight aborted due to rain after about 23.5 seconds) for, what, a couple weeks? Yikes!

Today I went off on a big flying expedition with my flying buddy. Took everything. One EZ*, my Seeker in its little box, and an Eraser sloper -- all strapped to the bicycle until I met my buddy and loaded into his truck.

We stopped in a couple places to see if we could fly, but despite how soft and grassy things looked (recent rains) they were nothing but sharp plane-shredding lava rock underneath. Finally found a spot with actual dirt, short grass, and lots of flowers. And stunning sunshine, a passing storm with rainbow, upslope winds, the rising near-full moon, and no trees to devour planes. Sweet!

At first there was just a light breeze. I tossed the EZ* up and had a great time ranging out searching for and finding a little lift. Then the storm passed by and the wind picked up. I tried the sloper from the side of a hill with little luck (I've never flown it before, and those ailerons are a little tricky so far) and then threw the EZ* into the wind. At first she would hardly penetrate, and I had to do some walking to track her back down. But the wind kept getting lighter and I had a great time soaring. Then the wind died down even more and I had to use the motor now and then to escape from Lack-o-Lift.

As the day faded away and the wind faded into the lightest breath of breeze, I stood on top of a smooth round hill tossing the Seeker again and again as the sun set in an orange blaze. For the day's final flight I sent the EZ* off down the hill, back toward the truck in the twilight, which was happily foolish. Foolish, because I couldn't tell how close I was to anything including the ground. Happy, because it was fun and no harm done -- missed the fence and the road both.

I hope everyone else had fun flying their Easy Star this weekend!

(Sorry. No pic with the EZ*)
Lavawing is offline Find More Posts by Lavawing
Old May 03, 2004, 06:34 AM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,165 Posts
Well I was doing the rudder hook-up and could not believe how hard the rudder control rod was for the servo to push. Am in the process of putting on a Sullivan cable to operate the rudder. Having to do a little modifying to get it to work, but at least I had one, as I ordered and extra when I ordered one for the TwinStar. I had read in the TS post about the TS rudder being very hard to operate. At least I don't have to wait a week for one, or drive through the worst traffic anywhere to get one. (about 20 miles, but at least an hour each way) Must start to stock some spare parts, as the cable only costs $3, but would have had a delay and another shipping cost. I urge everyone to make life easier for that little servo under EZs right armpit. tt
Old May 03, 2004, 06:36 AM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,165 Posts
Luck(y) Greg. How beautiful, that is the way the world was made to look. tt
Old May 03, 2004, 09:35 AM
Basel, Switzerland
Joined Apr 2004
27 Posts
Here some pics I promised yesterday. It is tricky to control the EZ with the right hand and take picture on the left. The trigger on the camera is on the right, so you can't see the small preview display.

-GRACIAN
I did not find a email address on the webpage of tyber.
Gromit is offline Find More Posts by Gromit
Old May 03, 2004, 10:07 AM
EasyStar Pilot
Texas, USA
Joined Feb 2004
135 Posts
Wow. Here we go on thread number 5.

First of all, I currently live in Coppell, Texas. (Someone wanted to know, but that was like 40 posts ago, so I forgot, I only know they were Swiss). I will be moving soon to Flower Mound though, which is just northwest of Dallas. A co-worker of mine just took a trip to Switzerland. He went all over, and brought back some wonderful pictures. He went to see the Matterhorn...and I think the highest train station in the world, if I'm correct?!

TT. Thanks for the links and your instructions. I think I will be steering clear of using the soldering iron. It just doesn't sound like a very good idea. I may try using the saw/drilling combination.

Tx charging. I have a 1800mAh battery pack in my transmitter, and with the 50mA supplied charger, takes a lot of time to charge. I'd say on the order of 36 hours. That's okay if it happens during the week, if it needs to be charged before flight, I usually use a peak charger, which requires me to disconnect it from the Tx, or use a small patch cable that I made for the Tx, but can't charge any higher than about 500mA that way. If I remove it, I usually charge around 1 amp or so.
geogecko is offline Find More Posts by geogecko
Old May 03, 2004, 11:31 AM
Joined Jul 2002
1,532 Posts
Gromit - Very nice pictures keep'em coming.
Zoomzoom is offline Find More Posts by Zoomzoom
Old May 03, 2004, 03:49 PM
Basel, Switzerland
Joined Apr 2004
27 Posts
-ZoomZoom
When do you disclose your secret how you take aerial photos with your EZ ?????
Gromit is offline Find More Posts by Gromit
Old May 03, 2004, 05:10 PM
Plane Crazy
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Aug 2003
1,329 Posts
cool pics gromit - I haven't mastered the art of taking pics while flying yet.
Today first flights after a 5 week hiatus.. fun!
I was to late in the afternoon to profit from the nice weather gromit had...
no more sunshine, but then, who cares. there was some wind, not to much, but bumpy - the way the trees are lined up next to our field produces some uncomfortable rotors right across the approach and over the runway/landing strip. total flying time, approx 1 1/2 hrs, then I got too hungry and had to take care of my own energy management.
It so much more fun to fly than to read about how much fun everybody else has...
splash99 is offline Find More Posts by splash99
Old May 03, 2004, 05:17 PM
SlopeHead
Lisboa, Portugal
Joined Jan 2004
2,882 Posts
If you want to know what an EasyStar can teach you, check this link out...

http://home.kpnqwest.pt/jcosta/f-16clip.avi

This is my first plane after the EasyStar. My first real aileron plane (not counting the c***py GWS Spitfire). And I learned to fly that slope with the EZ*!!!
jcosta is offline Find More Posts by jcosta
Old May 03, 2004, 05:33 PM
Wayne, NJ
Joined Apr 2001
473 Posts
Haven't chimed in here for a while, can't believe you guys got this up to 5 posts. Keep up the good work, lots of interesting stuff in here.

Mike
Mikerjf is offline Find More Posts by Mikerjf
Old May 03, 2004, 05:37 PM
Plane Crazy
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Aug 2003
1,329 Posts
jealuos jealous jealous!!!!!!
your sloper looks s***hot, and what a great place to fly!
thanks for the video!
Maybe you can join the chorus and aks zz how he does it... he had some nice inflight video recently.

I asked other guys today at our field, and they don' t know any good slopes nearby either. There's lots of hills, but they are crowded with either trees or houses...

I have to see where and how gromit's slope is.... that would be about half an hour from here.
splash99 is offline Find More Posts by splash99
Last edited by splash99; May 03, 2004 at 06:06 PM.
Closed Thread