HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2002, 06:21 PM
Shalersville, Oh
Joined Jun 2001
27 Posts
Building my first battery pack.

This may sound stupid but I'm building my first battery pack (8 AA cells) and I was wondering if I should put a fuse inside the pack or run with out one. If you do use a fuse would one of those spade type automotive fuse work?

I'm using a Jeti speed controler with a battery eliminator circuit so I wouldn't have to use an extra battery pack for the reciever.

I have a Graupner Speed 400 with a 4:1 gearbox and as I said a Jeti speed controller with 8 1600 mah AA batteries.

I was thinking if you blow a fuse you lost control of your plane because no more power to the recceiver but without the fuse you could set your plane on fire.

What do you people do.
Orion1 is offline Find More Posts by Orion1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2002, 07:23 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
I haven't built any packs myself.. I tried one once and I think I got the cells too hot w/ the iron.. since then, I've gladly paid for someone who knows what they're doing to make em for me... I know I should at least have a fuse in my Bandit.. but I don't.. no fuses on any of my ships.... bad, very bad...
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Jan 03, 2002, 07:33 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
25,918 Posts
Orion1:

Welcome to Ezone first off!

You're on the right track thinking that a fuse in the circuit to the ESC will kill everything. Correct. Literally. If you REALLY feel you need a fuse, put it between the ESC and the motor so that if the motor shorts out, the fuse will go and protect the ERSC. From all that I've gathered around here however, most don't bother with a fuse. I don't.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood