HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2002, 11:56 PM
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Nov 2001
25 Posts
First flights for me and my Dusk Stik

After many years of wanting to fly RC, I finally did it. After reading the forums here and trying to soak in as much info as possible I went with the Dusk Stik as my first plane.

After finishing the plane several weeks back, of course the wind decided to pick up here in Minnesota and hasn't been below 10 MPH. Last night I looked outside and saw the flag sitting flat against the pole. Even though the temp was in the single digits and it was 10 PM and dark, I had to fly.

Even though I've practiced on FMS and read many, many times to not over-compensate, I over-compensated immediately after launching. However thanks to a very forgiving design of the Dusk Stik with the polyhedral wing I was able to pull it out and keep flying. I managed to keep it in the air for about 2 minutes before I did a turn too low and nose dived into the snow. The only damage was that the wing mount came off.

I fixed that up, put the batteries on the charger and woke up early the next morning to try again. But this time I was too antsy and tried to fly down the street for one block to the park. I lost all perspective as the plane was flying away from me down the street and I was trying to run after it and fly it. It stalled and went down hard on the nose breaking the balsa stick, which cause the motor to spin under the wing tearing the Reynolds wrap up (which seems to be quite fragile at 3 degrees F).

I patched that up and tried one more time tonight. It wasn't pretty but I was able to keep it in the air for the entire charge of the battery, which may have been 4 minutes. I was able to gently land it in the snow - no broken pieces !!

Can't wait to try it in daylight so I can actually see the plane. Good fun!
beagle92 is offline Find More Posts by beagle92
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2002, 11:58 PM
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Nov 2001
25 Posts
Rear view
Old Jan 03, 2002, 12:12 AM
Columbia, MO USA
Joined Feb 2001
715 Posts
Congratulations on your first flight! and nice covering!

It always feels good to take up a new plane, but you'll always remember your first . The temp here has been below 20 for the past week and the wind has been gusting around 15-20 mph and won't let up. I havn't flown in two weeks and think I'm going into withdrawl. I have an indoor heli on the way so maybe that will quench my thirst for flight.

Congrats again and keep up the good work.
VWtechie is offline Find More Posts by VWtechie
Old Jan 03, 2002, 12:15 AM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Congrats! Is this a great hobby or what!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Jan 03, 2002, 12:22 AM
USA
Joined Jul 2001
39 Posts
Nice Job, beagle92!

beagle,

Your Dusk Stik looks G R E A T!

I am also a beginner and I have no R/C flying experience. I have all the required equipment and I have an extended polydihedral Dusk Stik I will soon fly. All the wings and structures are built, I just have to cover it. I too plan on doing a 2-tone color scheme, Green and Gold Reynolds (Go Packers! . . . too bad for the Vikings)

Seriously, though your color pattern caught my eye . . . I had not seen or thought of having the spar be the border of the two colors . . . I was going to have the color-border at the polydihedral breaks, but your Dusk Stik really looks striking with that scheme! ! !

Did you find it difficult to cut and handle the green Reynolds on the leading edge? How many pieces (of Reynolds Wrap) were used to cover the main wing? Does the green wrap overlap the rose wrap on the main wing? What adhesive did you use? Do you have any suggestions of pointers for covering the main wing in that scheme?

Thanks and Happy Flying!

EFoil
EFoil is offline Find More Posts by EFoil
Last edited by EFoil; Jan 03, 2002 at 12:24 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2002, 12:44 AM
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Nov 2001
25 Posts
Re: Nice Job, beagle92!

Quote:
Originally posted by EFoil
Did you find it difficult to cut and handle the green Reynolds on the leading edge? How many pieces (of Reynolds Wrap) were used to cover the main wing? Does the green wrap overlap the rose wrap on the main wing? What adhesive did you use? Do you have any suggestions of pointers for covering the main wing in that scheme?
Thanks for the feedback. Actually the bottom of the wing is all green. As I was trying to figure out how to cover it I noticed that the width of the Reynolds Wrap was just a bit more than the size of the bottom of the wing and the front half. So being lazy I figured I would just run one long piece from end to end and just cut the red to fit.

I tried using the glue that was shipped with the kit, but I couldn't get the wrap to stick to it very well. I tried using a glue stick but that didn't work so good either. I did use that at the polyhedral breaks to get the wrap to stick. I ended up using Elmers Extra Strength Spray Adhesive for most of the tail and part of the wing. I had just used this for tacking down carpet foam recently and tried a light spray and this seemed to work OK. However the best thing is to tack the wrap to itself as you wrap it around a surface - that seems to stick best of all.

The thing I kept telling myself is that this is a beginners plane for me, and I will be crashing it. I've already had to fix the covering once. So keep it simple. Enjoy the flying and worry about a pretty plane for your third plane. At least that's how I look at it. And I'm already dreaming of that third plane ...
Last edited by beagle92; Jan 03, 2002 at 12:49 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2002, 12:11 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
Congrads on your first flight. That is one of the nicest DuskStiks I've seen and I've seen a bunch of them. I'm glad you're liking it and if I can be of any help, let me know.

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Jan 03, 2002, 12:43 PM
Faster Faster!!
Kaysville Utah, U.S.A
Joined Oct 2001
1,717 Posts
Congrats on your first succesfull flight!
now you can join the rest of us in saving every penny for the latest versions of our favorite planes, Cursing the windy days, Standing out in weather that's soo cold everyone would swear that you're nuts.
Seriously, This hobby is truly wonderfull and a great reliever of stress for me.
And now for my latest dilemna: Hmmm... do I get that new JR Transmitter or put a needed set of tires on the truck?
Best of luck in future flights!

Bryan
RCFlybry is offline Find More Posts by RCFlybry
Old Jan 03, 2002, 12:45 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Congratulations Beagle92!

Sounds like you're off to a great start. The DuskStick looks fantastic.

Best of luck,

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jan 03, 2002, 08:24 PM
FLYER spelled I-squared-R
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,622 Posts
Beagle92:

You are right about the Reynolds Wrap at lower temperatures. I landed my DuskStik in a bush last fall (about 50 degrees) and I got a few punctures that I fixed with Scotch Tape.

I put my bird into a bush last Saturday (temperature about 20) and the entire wing surface shredded. I had to completely recover the wing.

David
fliir is offline Find More Posts by fliir