HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2002, 11:43 PM
Joined Jan 2002
14 Posts
new to aearobatic planes need help

I have flown gas trainers and currently am flying zagi wings and still expierementing with brushless motors trying to find a good combination i like those foamies alot because they take such a beating but i keep looking at the aerobatic planes especially i like the cap 232 like the small ARF breitling one from hobby lobby, and i was wondering if anyone can give me some suggestions, I was wondering how hard it is to get something like that to hover .. and would i need a gyro or something to do it? i don't know much about that stuff.. i have a futaba 6ch tx but if i need it i can get better i am just curious as to how hard it is to do some of the tricks ... flying a wing right now seems really easy to me and i keep making it go faster and faster cause i think i am getting bored with it... i am kinda scared of the cap 232 because i know when i crash it all i will have is a pile of wood... that happend with my first trainer (easyfly 40) after that i have started flying the airmadillo combat coroplast wing and alum stick it was pretty durable for a slimer but i am really enjoying eflight now and just need some help getting started in something more then a flying wing thanks..

oh and if anyone has the breitling cap 232 arf i think its a 32" wingspan.. anyway if anyone has one please let me know what you think of it and if you recommend it.... i am not really worried much about the small size since i am flying a zagi razor 30" wing that does about 80+mph... that was hard to keep in the air the first few flights but i think i can adapt to smaller models and they fit in my car better lol... so thanks for any help or suggestions any of you can give...
Excon is offline Find More Posts by Excon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2002, 09:48 AM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,274 Posts
Hi....and Welcome to Ezone !

Daves Aircraft Works http://www.davesaircraftworks.com/ Makes two models similar to the Cap - An Extra 300S and a Staudacker S300 that are made out of your favorite bouncable material - EPP !! They're smallish (~30" WS) made for Speed 400 gear....so your Zagi ESC would work (in stock form)

I've had a Staudacker and liked it alot....and saw the Extra fly too (the two kits are really almost identical). They fly well but are not for sleepy fingers !! the roll rate is quite fast and by design they go where they are pointed.... The landing gear should be left off for both weight and because its going to get ripped off anyway - trust me.

Can it Hover ? I imagine if you use one of the small geared brushless motors and a Wayyy out of scale folding prop it might but small planes are always harder to hover than larger planes. If you truely need to hang on the prop, look at all the threads about GWRIGHT's E3D......but only expect that one to bounce once !!

The DAW planes are great small Aerobatic ships that go together easy and fly well. I'd say anything excluding hover in stock or near-stock form is possible

Hope this helps......and keep reading Ezone to jump start your E-Knowledge base

Alan W
Alan W is offline Find More Posts by Alan W
Last edited by Alan W; Jan 04, 2002 at 01:06 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2002, 10:19 AM
UK / Germany
Joined Nov 2001
645 Posts
I'll back up what Alan said.

The DAW foamies are great to fly, aerobatic (but limited vertical) and very fast.

They are very durable, and take a tumble usually without damage.

I got mixed up while doing an inverted pass and pulled up. Oops.
The plane smashed in from about 8ft up and fast. All that was broken was the prop! A quick check on alignment and all was well again.

Paul
pgleesonuk is offline Find More Posts by pgleesonuk
Old Jan 04, 2002, 06:33 PM
MiL
Corvallis, Oregon
Joined Jan 2002
10 Posts
Is the builder required to have specialized tools and do a lot of foam shaping for the DAW planes? The reason i ask is that i have never worked with foam before and i have no hot-wire foam cutting tools or other equipment. Is any required?

Also, as a beginner to e-flight, is there anything else i should know about these kits?

Thanks ezoners, i'm learning a lot here,
MiL
MiL is offline Find More Posts by MiL
Old Jan 04, 2002, 08:37 PM
Joined Jan 2002
14 Posts
those pics above of foam sport planes is a big help i will check out that link and let you all know what i end up doing .. i really do like a plane that can bounce a few times lol thanks for all the replies and if anyone has any more suggestions please keep em coming..
Excon is offline Find More Posts by Excon