Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 30, 2004, 10:29 AM
Stuttgart
Joined Jan 2004
1,781 Posts
Where have all the LHS's gone??

Hey Guys,
I just got back from the states. While I was home, I checked the LHS and it was terrible!! The guy has the ONLY shop in my 'home' town and carries only Heli equipment. Well, ok, he did have a few tires and some CA!!! I couldn't believe it, there used to be 4 shops in there and now only one. I asked about getting some parts for the bike and he just laughed and said I should go straight to ACE! Anyway, I took a stroll thru Lowe's(home depot) and found some pretty cool things, but unfortunately only one thing I could find was for the bikes!! I'll post pics later on. I also had a chance to check out my storage unit and gathered a few parts from some boxed-up RC's(thank you mr T-Maxx and old buddy Blackfoot!!) One thing I'm still missing is a rear body post. Any body know of an aluminum rear post?? The ones on CNR's site look to me like they are just for the sides. I also asked the guy at the LHS about the Novak b/ls and again he referred me to online shops! So, if anyone has an extra Novak b/l hanging around, let me know because i'll be happy to take it off your hands! And any tips on rear body posts are welcome tooo!
Keep the shiny side up!!
Tom
metomwhou is offline Find More Posts by metomwhou
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2004, 12:07 PM
STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metomwhou
Hey Guys,
I just got back from the states. While I was home, I checked the LHS and it was terrible!! The guy has the ONLY shop in my 'home' town and carries only Heli equipment. Well, ok, he did have a few tires and some CA!!! I couldn't believe it, there used to be 4 shops in there and now only one. I asked about getting some parts for the bike and he just laughed and said I should go straight to ACE! Anyway, I took a stroll thru Lowe's(home depot) and found some pretty cool things, but unfortunately only one thing I could find was for the bikes!! I'll post pics later on. I also had a chance to check out my storage unit and gathered a few parts from some boxed-up RC's(thank you mr T-Maxx and old buddy Blackfoot!!) One thing I'm still missing is a rear body post. Any body know of an aluminum rear post?? The ones on CNR's site look to me like they are just for the sides. I also asked the guy at the LHS about the Novak b/ls and again he referred me to online shops! So, if anyone has an extra Novak b/l hanging around, let me know because i'll be happy to take it off your hands! And any tips on rear body posts are welcome tooo!
Keep the shiny side up!!
Tom
Tom,

Glad you had a good trip. You are going to find that about most LHS. They are into the planes and helis or monster trucks mostly. You will not find any 1/5 bike specific parts, or even a shop that stocks the bikes themselves, unless you just luck out somewhere. I only get my generic r/c parts that will work on the bikes at my LHS. Some other parts, and the stuff for the USD fork mods all come from Home Depot.

Everything else I get online, which ain't that bad. I'm pretty sure e-hobbies ships to APO addresses. That's where I order basically all of my stock replacement parts. And you know CNR would ship to you. I don't know of anyone who makes an alum rear post, but it would be easy to make one out of stock alum rod or tubing, or threaded rod, or even a correct size bolt. Any way to repair or modify the old one to work in the meantime?

Novak b/l's can be had from most online r/c places too!

STEve B in NC
mollycbr123 is offline Find More Posts by mollycbr123
Old Apr 30, 2004, 02:37 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,263 Posts
Thankfully my LHS's are still going strong in the car dept, and subsequently you can find stuff for the bikes... Yesterday I got me my first ever Losi car: A Mini-T, for my son, who loved it as much as I did and today I spent almost all day riding to a few LHS's trying to find battery packs for the Mini Truck! What fun! (Both the truck and the riding! It was a lovely day to ride!).
I didn't find any, so I might be ordering 2 or 3 from rcmart.com, in the end!
I also did a small page with the minit-t: www.steliosh.net/rc/losiminit/ in case anyone cares to take a look!

However, back to bike things, as Steve said most of the stuff I got from online ordering, and of course from abroad, too... The NF is somehow distributed here, and my friend at that HS tells me they've sold 2, they have one on the store shelf for people to admire (and there are quite a lot that do). They once helped me with my TT, too! They mostly sell AE, Mugen, Yokomo and FG (1/5).

There's another friendly LHS who imports TT (cars only, of course), and they added a fairing for the Fm-1e and a few other parts for me, at almost decent prices. Thank God for old friends in LHS's!
steliosh is offline Find More Posts by steliosh
Last edited by steliosh; Apr 30, 2004 at 02:39 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 06:07 PM
Joined Jan 2004
88 Posts
I love local hobby stores, but think about how difficult it is to make money from one.
There are too many parts that cost too much money to carry much inventory. The hobby stores around here seems to pick up on whatever trend is hot and stock as such.
Right now, monster trucks are hot so they have alot of them.
Two years ago, 1:18 scale electrics were hot so they had them.

These days the only way to go is online.
I fell bad for the local hobby shops, but it has got to be a tough business to run.
bagmouse7 is offline Find More Posts by bagmouse7
Old May 01, 2004, 03:30 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,263 Posts
You're absolutely right. Running a HS is a tough job. Here, in Athens, racing has helped them survive, as well as the fact that being in a very small market, having an authorized dealership helps too. The problem is that even being an authorized dealer, you can't beat online prices: Example: I bought the Losi Mini T locally at 220 euros, and I have found it everywhere on the net for $150 (roughly 125 euros). Even adding postage from (say) HK to Greece at around $50-70, it still is better... My problem here was that I had to have it THAT day... I couldn't wait for a week or 10 days for the mail! On the other hand, I also "bought" support and parts discount this way, so I don't consider myself a "loser" in this respect!
Old May 01, 2004, 09:57 AM
Stuttgart
Joined Jan 2004
1,781 Posts
I guess I was just a little disapointed because I remember the shops that were open when I lived there. Even though I still didn't get the parts I was looking for, it wasn't a total waste, I did get to breath that fresh Louisiana air!! I've always wanted to open a hobby shop but its like you guys said, its hard to beat the online shops, even when you have a loyal base of customers. My friend in San Antonio didn't really start doing well until we started holding races out in the parking lot. Most people didn't even know his shop was there. I don't ever remember seeing a tv ad for a hobby shop or race nite. We had the local news guys out a couple times but they would only show a snippit of info at the ten o'clock news so that didn't really help. The only way I would want to do it if I had the chance would be to have two types of tracks at the location, an offroad and an on road, that way you could cover two of the bases and maybe even three if the space was large enuff for heli's. Maybe one day, but thats just a big dream!! Once I win the lottery, i'm definitly gonna do it!!!!

Tom
Old May 05, 2004, 02:20 AM
Stuttgart
Joined Jan 2004
1,781 Posts
pictures and stuff

Hey guys, just got around to unpacking all my crap from the trip I took!! I figured it was time to do some work on the bike while the boss is asleep! Here are some pics of what I got and what i've done. The box-o-springs I found at Lowes, came in pretty handy when I set up my steering. I couldn't find anything to use as a linkage so I just made do with the original. I had trouble getting the steering rightwhen I added the damper(RC-10 shock). For some reason it wanted to move the shock towards the center of the bike when the triples moved to the right(as if you were sitting on the bike) so I kept playing around and came up with what you see, I moved the triple mount out further forward and out to the side a little. Can't wait to see if this helps, and since I moved the damper out, figured I might as well move the steering linkage out too, let you know how that works out. The only other thing is my new Radio, the kit was ok, but not FM or Digital!! Well, thats about it for now guys!!

Tom
Old May 05, 2004, 02:27 AM
Stuttgart
Joined Jan 2004
1,781 Posts
PS
Anybody ever seen one of these??? I pulled it out of some stuff my buddy left with me years ago. If anybody recognizes it or recommends it, I'll see about hooking it up, it should be better than what came with the kit, besides, it was acting crazy last time I used it. Oh, and here's a pic of the new radio!
Tom
Old May 05, 2004, 03:07 AM
Joined Nov 2003
43 Posts
If you go to i hate to say it...rctech.net and do a seach on charlie(you will have to join).Send him a pic and he should be able to tell you what model it is.(How many winds etc) He actually works for novak.

hope this helps

Terry
Tezza is offline Find More Posts by Tezza
Old May 05, 2004, 03:11 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,263 Posts
a nice old Novak, Tom! Just like my old trusty Tekin 411! And a nice assortment of springs! I'm impressed! But... be careful... running those motors at the redline constantly... it might result in something bad... like...
Last edited by steliosh; May 05, 2004 at 03:13 AM.
Old May 05, 2004, 10:52 AM
Stuttgart
Joined Jan 2004
1,781 Posts
Tezza,
Thanks for the info, I did a quick search after I posted and it turns out this is a decent SC, supposedly able to handle just about what ever you throw at it. Now I just gotta get a new motor!!
Steliosh,
Glad to see your ok(guess if you can post than you must be ok!), I blew up my first t-maxx engine and gotta a brand new key chain outta that!! The best thing to come from that, I gotta super fast Nova Rossi to replace it.
Someone mentioned the trinity motors not to long ago, the ones with the 'flat wire'?? Can you tell me more about them, Thanks.

Tom
Old May 06, 2004, 03:26 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,263 Posts
the above actually is "stolen" from a friend's website, who is American, flew a few weeks ago to Europe and after a few miles riding in Germany blew his 190.000mile old BMW R1100RS!!!!! It's a real, big piston!!!!!!!! He is in the process of putting another motor on the bike right now, somewhere in Karlsruhe, Germany!
For the full story, if there's any interest... http://darryl.crafty-fox.com/motorcycles/2004theend.htm
Old May 06, 2004, 08:18 AM
Big thrills w/o hospital bills
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,679 Posts
Hey Tom, that's funny,.. a friend of mine has one of those ESC's too and i asked him today what turn it can handle, he said it was only good for down too a 23T stock motor,.. where did you get your info from, Novak's history list..?

shaun
scaulfi is offline Find More Posts by scaulfi
Old May 06, 2004, 01:41 PM
Stuttgart
Joined Jan 2004
1,781 Posts
I did a search on google and one guy said he had was using a twelve turn with no problems. I think I'm just gonna stick with the one thats in the bike now because I'm gonna order the Novak B/L tomorrow!! I figured I might as well just go ahead and get the motor while I got the cash!!

Tom
Old May 06, 2004, 01:49 PM
STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metomwhou
I did a search on google and one guy said he had was using a twelve turn with no problems. I think I'm just gonna stick with the one thats in the bike now because I'm gonna order the Novak B/L tomorrow!! I figured I might as well just go ahead and get the motor while I got the cash!!

Tom
You'll love the Novak compared to that old stock motor Tom. Be prepared for a lot more speed!!

FWIW: the info sheet on your old ESC on Team Novak's website states that it is rated for "any stock or modified motor 4 to 10 cells".
mollycbr123 is offline Find More Posts by mollycbr123