HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 30, 2004, 09:42 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,964 Posts
Finished Depron CD-Rom PR MK-XIX Spitfire

Well I've got this pig ready to try and fly it. I'm not happy with the method I used on this one.
I enlarged a free paper plan and 3MM glued the paper to 3 mm Depron fuselage and 4.5 mm Depron food tray wings. Undercamber airfoil, pull pull ailerons push rod elevator.
I thought it would look better than this and be a faster build than to paint (got lazy)
It took more time to try and match paper covering sections,etc.. I wish I painted this. Also added a ton of weight but did give strength. I rewound a CD-Rom motor (not sure about this) AUW 7.0oz.(pig) 2 cell LIPoly or 7 cell GP 370's.
27" WS, GWS gear, 5x3 GWS prop. If she flys I'll make a clear canopy and pilot/cockpit area maybe this will help it look better.
Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2004, 09:58 AM
Departing at 'O' dark 30
Sudbury, Ont. Canada
Joined Feb 2002
1,253 Posts
I think it looks great!

Hope it flies well for ya. Should really haul on a a brushless DD.

Best of luck with the maiden.
Cass is offline Find More Posts by Cass
Old May 01, 2004, 12:16 AM
Sacramento,Ca
Joined Jul 2003
66 Posts
It Looks Good....!!! Nice Job.
BrokinBalsa is offline Find More Posts by BrokinBalsa
Old May 01, 2004, 12:25 AM
Zoom, zoom...
Roseville, CA (Sacramento area)
Joined May 2003
3,514 Posts
I think it looks great! If you don't like it, send it to me. I will fly it.
Trikster is offline Find More Posts by Trikster
Old May 01, 2004, 09:40 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,964 Posts
She Flys!

Well even though winds were 10-15 gusty. I had to try the new PR Spitfire.
She flew into the strong winds it flew well but not as good as I want. So I need to try a 6x3 prop. I had three short sort out sorties but felt good that she flew so well given winds.
Thanks guys for you kind words. Didn't get a chance to get some flying pic's. here's some in size compairison to my other Depron Spitfire hard to tell the difference. My G. lacy Spit has a 32" WS.
Pete
Old May 01, 2004, 07:03 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,692 Posts
Pete,
You're definitely being too hard on yourself. It looks very good! And it flies too boot. Congrats, you do a great job on these builds. Now you've got me thinking I'll have to try this method too!

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old May 02, 2004, 08:37 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,964 Posts
Thanks John,
But never again on the paper covering too much weight. You can't sand things down to make them look and fit better.
Also I flew it again yesterday in light rain and the paper started warping.
Oh well live & learn. This would have been a much lighter and nicer plane had I not been so lazy and tried this short cut. I started an EDF-40 paper covered Horton wing I think I'll scrap. I need to enlarge it more anyway if I do it it will be my own finish.
How's the 163? More pic's, More pic's we love them....
Pete
Old May 03, 2004, 12:56 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,825 Posts
you do much much better finishes than the paper Pete.. glad to hear she flew well .. sorry to hear about the warping .. i get kinda burnt out sometimes too .. thats why i have been converting the walmart gliders ..
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old May 03, 2004, 01:58 PM
Departing at 'O' dark 30
Sudbury, Ont. Canada
Joined Feb 2002
1,253 Posts
Happy the maiden went well. Sorry bout the paper covering though. I agree with Vyceroy, you do better work then the paper anyway
Cass is offline Find More Posts by Cass
Old May 03, 2004, 02:28 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
156 Posts
mtflyr
What weight of paper were you using? My thoughts were heading toward printing onto a light weight tissues or rice paper. What would your thoughts be about something like that?
Jim
tapeedit is offline Find More Posts by tapeedit
Old May 03, 2004, 03:13 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,964 Posts
Yes, I considered that as well but I wanted to try regular copy paper. A lighter wt. paper would be the way to go for sure. The real problem is aligning everything it's pretty hard. Also you really can't blend the foam & paper, sand it where you might need to get a better looking job. I felt it really limits what you may want to do. Oh well I'd wanted to try it seemed to take as much or more time than if I'd painted it myself esp doing the PR Spit one color.
What I'm now having problems with is the heat on my brushless CC-Phoenix 10 and the small prop with not much pitch any more prop or pitch & she shuts down the ESC I think I'll try and re-wind the motor again.
Pete
Old May 03, 2004, 03:24 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,825 Posts
i need to do one of those pete to run as a pusher on a plane ..
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Aug 15, 2004, 10:12 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,964 Posts
Well I met some new e-flyers today while trying to get the 100th flight on my
PR-19 Spitfire... I really like flying this little bird... It kinda grew on me so the paper wasn't too bad. Matter of fact I'm going to try again with light wt. tracing paper on my next bird the Polikarpov I-16 type 34.
Any way on it's 99th. had a mid air with a GWS slow stick about 50' -60' in the air.. We both recovered however I sort of crash landed.
I put in a new battery for it's 100th and it wasn't flying right.
That's when I noticed that the starboard aft fuselage was cut in half by the slow sticks prop! Got out the tape and fixed that. Then flew it 101 flights still something was wrong... Then I noticed the GWS 7x6 prop didn't quite look right it was broken. Oh well a 10 min repair. All and all not bad for my 1st ever mid air.
Also helped get one of the guys GWS Zero out of a tall pine tree later as darkness settled in...
Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Aug 15, 2004 at 10:19 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 06:51 PM
urth bound
Manassas, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2004
62 Posts
Hi Pete- I saw this build thread and suspected it was yours. Once again, I'm sorry for the wounding my ugly slowstick gave your beautiful Spitfire. I'm glad you took it so well and were able to get it back in the air so quickly.

And I'll say again- NICE CLIMBING SKILLS! Anyone who would attempt a tree recovery THAT high up has to possess either extensive climbing experience or a touch of madness. Or maybe a some of both? Anyhow, Harv's Zero would have been doomed without you.

I'm going to check out those fields your recommended. Looking forward to seeing you out there.

Jeremy
Urthman is offline Find More Posts by Urthman
Old Aug 18, 2004, 07:09 PM
Just a name, not the Law.
Burke, VA
Joined Jul 2004
49 Posts
Pete,

Hey! I'm the guy with the rescued zero. Thanks so much! You saved the day!

I can attest that these planes fly really great! I was amazed by them. You all should see the P-38 he made, its fantastic!

Thanks again, great planes you made there, and I look forward to meeting up with you again. We will most likely be flying out there at the school again on Friday night, if so I'll give you a call. I'll let you take up my brushless Slow Stick so you can run Jeremy over with it just for fun.
Sheriff is offline Find More Posts by Sheriff
Last edited by Sheriff; Aug 18, 2004 at 07:13 PM.