HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2004, 07:56 PM
Joined Feb 2004
2 Posts
Question
Wing struts for pico Stick FD

Somewhere in this forum I've seen mention of how to make wing struts for the Pico Stick FD, complete with photos. If anyone knows or can direct me to it I'd be very appreciative. Electroglide.
Bob Nichols is offline Find More Posts by Bob Nichols
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2004, 10:51 PM
florida
Joined Apr 2004
298 Posts
I havnt seen that post but it definatly need it. I broke my wing during a loop and it fell from 50 feet!
kombat kid is offline Find More Posts by kombat kid
Old May 01, 2004, 05:43 PM
Rejected User
Joined Dec 2003
6,585 Posts
OUCH!
Sorry to hear that.
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Old May 02, 2004, 07:02 AM
Joined Feb 2004
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat kid
I havnt seen that post but it definatly need it. I broke my wing during a loop and it fell from 50 feet!
There are some plastic pieces on a patrs tree that I think are intended for this use. My manual said to read a separate "Sheet" (not included) if you were going to use a different power system I suspect it is explained there. I have some ideas on that if you are interested. My method of joining the wing is good. I'm going to try the wing "as is " first, since I'm using the stock motor.
Bob Nichols is offline Find More Posts by Bob Nichols
Old May 02, 2004, 09:17 AM
Rejected User
Joined Dec 2003
6,585 Posts
Strut Help

You can use the strut pieces that the E-starter uses, it should work very well. But it might cause alittle too much drag if your running on the suggestesd 6s 150mAh pack(if your on a 7-8s pack your fine) If you dont want that much drag, you could get some small wire(maybe even some extra push rod wire) and use the little clear plasitc piece(in pic) and glue one to the fuse, and one to the wing (do it on both sides ) and add teh wire.(in sec pic)
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Last edited by Mchone, Jake; May 02, 2004 at 09:29 AM. Reason: forgot pix
Old May 02, 2004, 12:20 PM
United States, UT, Payson
Joined Mar 2003
564 Posts
You will need:
  • Plastic Clevis' (included in kit)
  • Plastic connector shown in previous post (included in kit)
  • Bamboo stick, CF rod, or other
  • Epoxy

Now, take the connector piece. Get another piece of scrap foam, about 1/2" by 1/2" (bigger wouldn't hurt). Cut a slit in this so that you can press it over the plastic piece shown in the post above. This will help prevent the piece from pulling out of the fuselage. Put Epoxy on the plastic piece, and piece of foam, and glue them to the fuselage.

Now, take you Bamboo stick. I recomend that over other material because you can get it from your local grocery store, and sand it to fit in the clevis'. (in one of the pictures) Press the clevis' onto the bamboo, and test the length you will need with your given dihedral. Then, once the length is right, and the bamboo is sanded to fit, glue it in securely with Epoxy, not CA. Epoxy will be much stronger. Many Beavers have died due to the struts pulling out.

Now, clip them together and fly.

~Chris
Azygos is offline Find More Posts by Azygos
Old May 02, 2004, 12:24 PM
United States, UT, Payson
Joined Mar 2003
564 Posts
I need to get everthing back up on my website so I can host all of the pictures (sorry about the large size) on one post.

~Chris
Azygos is offline Find More Posts by Azygos
Old May 02, 2004, 03:37 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,518 Posts
The Picos Stick FD looks kind of like a Fokker Endecker (sp) which used flying wires top and bottom. A lot of work for a Pico Stick. A carbon rod of tube taped to the leading edge would prob. be enough if you're not too heavy.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff