SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 02, 2002, 04:55 PM
new orleans, louisiana usa
Joined Jul 2001
109 Posts
My Electrajet project

Hi, I'm in the process of putting together an Electrajet. It's made completely of foam, except for the wooden motor mount. I got the complete setup which includes geared 380 motor, prop and adaptor, 16a speed control, and delta mixer at a real nice discount from my LHS. It appears to be sold as a parkflyer and with the geared setup is advertised to fly in the 18 to 25mph range. That's too slow for me. If I want slow I'll fly my Tiger Moth. This plane looks like it's going 60 mph standing still. Anyway, after a good sanding of all the foam parts to get rid of the molding marks, of which there are many, I proceeded to epoxy the wing panels on and mold them in to get everything nice and aerodynamic. I have some of it painted in the latest pics. Power will either be a direct drive Graupner Speed 400 or Speed 480 BB Race. Weight is advertised in the 16 to 24 ounce range. This is comparable to a Zagi. Mine, with paint, and using an 8-cell 600AE pack will probably be around 20 ounces. I toyed with the idea of mounting a Mini-Fan 480 in between the vertical fins, but decided to keep it simple until I see how it flies. I can always do that later on.
slowjoe170 is offline Find More Posts by slowjoe170
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2002, 05:39 PM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,317 Posts
Hi Joe

It looks like it ought to be a good flier. Is it is made for elevons ? Who makes this little jewel ? What is the span ?
Al P is offline Find More Posts by Al P
Old Jan 02, 2002, 06:15 PM
Joined Jul 2001
109 Posts
Yes, it is set up for elevons. The paint was drying on them when this picture was taken. Wingspan is 33.25", length is 29", wing area is 352 sq. in. The version of the kit with the electronics included sells for $139.00 from what I hear. I got mine for $100.00 because the hobby shop was about to send them back. I think that it may have been a better seller if it was advertised as something other than a parkflyer. It has plenty of room for a larger battery than I am intending to put in it in case I decide to go with a pod mounted ducted fan. One thing I liked about it immediately was the canopy. It was already cut to fit and it fit perfectly. I hate cutting out canopies. The kit is made by E-Flite and marketed by Horizon Hobby. I provided a link below to their website for it. I hope to have it ready for this weekend. I'll post another finished pic of it as well as a flight report.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...p?prod=EFL1000

Joe
Old Jan 02, 2002, 06:30 PM
Toronto,ON
Joined Jan 2002
132 Posts
Me too!

I just purchased one of these babies today but it seems I may have gotten hosed on the price. I paid $250CDN for it. I figured with motor, speed control, and elevon mixer (which will come in handy on future planes) included, that was pretty good. If yours didn't include all that equipment then I guess I got a pretty good deal.

This is my first electric. I used to fly glow many years ago. I'll post an update when I get it built.

I've included a picture of the box.
ToJo is offline Find More Posts by ToJo
Old Jan 02, 2002, 07:14 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2001
1,292 Posts
I've been flying mine for a few weeks now and it has been great. Handles really nicely. Loops and rolls quite nicely. I've been flying with 600 mah nicads (8) with the 1.85:1 gearing. I picked up the plane for 219 cdn I think it was. It really looks great in the air pulling up vertical after a loop and rolling
Mikey-flies is offline Find More Posts by Mikey-flies
Old Jan 02, 2002, 08:45 PM
Toronto,ON
Joined Jan 2002
132 Posts
Any snags getting it assembled?

Mikey, where'd you get yours?
Old Jan 02, 2002, 10:18 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2001
1,292 Posts
From great hobbies in Edmonton (www.greathobbies.com). It's currently selling for 229. I had no problems putting it together but I did find I didn't have enough throw on the elevons initial and did a nice launch-bank-smack first flight. Glued back together just fine (It was a radio setting problem not a kit problem).
Old Jan 02, 2002, 10:41 PM
Joined Jul 2001
109 Posts
There are very few parts and they all fit together nicely. The top section of the fuselage is removable to get to the battery and radio gear and is held on by a nice little spring loaded hatch lock which comes with the kit. I may go see if my LHS still has the other one for $100.00. I may pick that one up to convert to EDF. That's what I love about this hobby, always finding new things to get into.
Old Jan 03, 2002, 02:32 AM
Toronto,ON
Joined Jan 2002
132 Posts
Servos

Is anyone using mini servos with this plane instead of the jr micro mini pack that's reccommended? I either have to buy new tiny servos to fit in the slots under the wings, or cut those slots a bit bigger. Wondering how bad that would affect performance. I've got HS-81 servos which are twice as heavy (18g instead of 9g) as the JS micro mini's.

I don't really want to get micro mini's because I'm pretty sure the servos I have will come in handy more often for me.
Old Jan 03, 2002, 06:23 AM
Joined Jul 2001
109 Posts
Hi Tojo,
That is my plan exactly, to enlarge the servo bays and put in HS-81's. I have some micros that would fit in there too, but I'd have to rob them out of my Tiger Moth. Given the power upgrade that I'm planning for mine, I'll feel a little better while yankin and crankin the sticks knowing that I have the higher troque servos in there.
Old Jan 03, 2002, 12:14 PM
Toronto,ON
Joined Jan 2002
132 Posts
Well, I put the HS-81's in without too much of a hassle. They fit great now.

The worst part of my setup is my receiver. It's an old standard sized Rx and pretty heavy. I had to cut a lot of foam to make it fit. CG is just where it's supposed to be though so shouldn't be a problem.

I'm just a little nervous about gluing on that bottom fin. It's going to make getting the motor out VERY difficult. The connection to the ESC is untouchable once you glue that in.
Old Jan 03, 2002, 05:18 PM
Joined Jul 2001
109 Posts
I installed the fin on mine just to plug up that long slot that it mounts in and cut it off flush with the fuselage. As far as I can tell it's only on there to stop the prop from breaking on landing. There is plenty of vertical fin area, so I cut mine off. It looks better, less drag, less weight, and it'll belly landing land on more of a level angle. I used a Rondo speed sontrol on mine. It mounts to the back of the motor. Then I just soldered on long leads to the battery compartment and put on my sermos connector. I'll use the included speed control on something else. I'm still hoping to test mine out this weekend with the direct drive Speed 400. I realize that I'm not using any of the electronics that it came with, but they won't go to waste. I have another geared motor setup exactly like the one it came with. They'll both go on my next twin electric project.
Old Jan 03, 2002, 06:18 PM
Toronto,ON
Joined Jan 2002
132 Posts
Well, there's no way I'm permanently gluing mine in place. I put it in with double sided tape and it actually seems quite sturdy. If it falls off in mid flight...well...I'll just go get it and cut the power before landing.

I like your idea of cutting it, but I'll probably hold off on that until I fly it as is.

I'm assuming you left enough of it so that the prop doesn't hit the ground.

A simple single wheel front landing wheel might be an addition I make later on so that it at least lands level before wing tipping over.
Old Jan 03, 2002, 08:56 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2001
1,292 Posts
So far landing on soft or packed snow it has done really well with the tail skid. It hasn't really dropped a wing on landing until it is almost stopped. I did lose the skid once landing on soft snow when it hit a hard pack (I went thin on the glue for just such a reason). Np to glue it back on. Wheels might be nice, but then you'd gain a fair bit more drag I would think. I'm anxious to hear how the DD speed 400 goes as I might want to follow. So far I'm having a blast with it. I actually hooked up my motor after gluing the fin in. It isn't really a problem if you use the supplied connectors to let the speed control slide back a bit to get to the plugs.
Old Jan 03, 2002, 10:37 PM
Joined Jul 2001
109 Posts
As is the case with most of my projects, I'm getting a little carried away with customizing my Electrajet, but I just couldn't do without a little cockpit detail. I sprayed the white basecoat on the airplane today. I'll tape up and shoot my colors tomorrow. I also installed the HS-81 servos in the wing. Target weight still looks good at 18-20 ounces.