SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 29, 2004, 04:03 AM
Joined Feb 2001
2,818 Posts
Xero-G Carbon Raptor E-Conversion

Here are some pics!

The frame kits are available from http://store.xtremercproducts.com/ and http://www.rchelisplus.com/
Street price should be right around $279. I had the aluminum motor mount made up from 1/4" stock. While it's not really heavy, it's way stronger than it really needs to be. The next version will be lighter.

I like the component layout and design of the frame set. It's a CCPM design with proper geometry for the pushrods, i.e. everything is exactly at 90 degrees so any kind of control interaction should be at an absolute minimum. The lower frames are 60mm wide and would allow even the older 7800 and 8000mah Thunder Power packs to fit within the frames. I'm not sure if this will be of any benefit but at least it's an option.

I'll try to keep adding to this as I progress with the refinement and development of my e-conversion.
ScotY is offline Find More Posts by ScotY
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2004, 02:21 PM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,792 Posts
looks good scot!
Ben74 is offline Find More Posts by Ben74
Old Jan 07, 2005, 01:49 AM
TeamTP,Minicopter,Spartan
Mississippi 31 years , Now Kotzebue , Alaska 12
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
Dang , man , you shoud have flown it before you sold it Scot , I have a top mount outrunner , but I could get a 24-4 for it and make that at work , looks great

thanks Tony
misskimo is offline Find More Posts by misskimo
Old Jan 07, 2005, 01:53 AM
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
hey , I will mount the batteries on the side , get them high as I can with out hitting anything , and also use the 90t modified gear I just made up useing a stripped out 85t and turning it down to fit a MA 90t ring gear , now I just need to do the math

Tony
Old Jan 07, 2005, 02:14 AM
Joined Feb 2001
2,818 Posts
The "standard" Actro is going to be easier to mount, I think. There's no carbon up top where you'd want it to be to mount the heli version...unless you get really creative. I don't see any huge disadvantage to using the standard motor. If you go with this layout, you might want to consider turning down the frame spacers to bring the lower frames further in. It's probably a fair amount of work involved but not overly difficult. You'll have more room for batteries outside the frame since they won't likely fit inside. I think one 10s2p Lite Pro pack would fit right under the motor. Kinda low CG but easy to do.

Good luck and let us know how things progress!
ScotY is offline Find More Posts by ScotY
Old Jan 07, 2005, 02:42 AM
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
huh? man I just cant make up my mind , box , or 32-4 with the 90t main , or the 24-4 , huh?
better sleep on it
Old Jan 07, 2005, 03:08 AM
Freezin Eskimo
Eden, South Dakota
Joined Feb 2004
89 Posts
Okay after i got mine all built your tellin me i got take the OS 50SX-H out of there, and stick me a Actro Brushless in there! Okay im cool with that now where do i get a Actro Mount like that for my CCPM Frames?i got the Actro, and the pinion set up, now i just need the mount!

Karl
freezin Eskimo is offline Find More Posts by freezin Eskimo
Old Jan 07, 2005, 09:20 AM
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
hey , when I make mine , maybe I will make yours too
Old Jan 07, 2005, 11:28 PM
Freezin Eskimo
Eden, South Dakota
Joined Feb 2004
89 Posts
Right on! Sounds good! Ill sell the logo 20 then?

Karl
Old Jan 08, 2005, 02:08 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,113 Posts
For those interested, below are some shots of my XeroG-based Raptor. I cut off most of the front part of the "stock" frames, which aren't really needed. I also brought the outer/lower frames in 2mm on each side by making some new spacers that are 11mm instead of 13mm. These were made from 3/16" tubing, and as a result are a bit lighter than the provided solid machined pieces. The reason for doing this was so I could use some simple L-shaped adapter pieces for the v2 box that are made from 1/4" stock. The adapters bolt to the sides of the box, using countersunk screws, and the the adapters are attached to the outer frames at four points. The single 10s2p pack straps to the bottom of the box, and to the frames in the back.

Finally, until yesterday, I had the 1515-2Y (1100 kV...) in there with R30 86T/9T gearing. Performance, with this Pro Lite 10s2p pack, was about as good as I've ever seen, in a 600-bladed helicopter, and I've seen a few hot setups, I think. A video of Nick flying it the other day is here. While the raw power was very impressive, I know there's a bit more in the "tank", so I made one final change. () I got Al to send me one of his modded Raptor 60/90 main gears, that has 95T, and I put that in, and then swapped out the 2Y motor for a 1515-1.5Y (1350 kv...). This caused me to have to move the starter shaft bearing blocks, and the box/motor assembly forward a bit (you can see in the pics that I had to drill out new slotted holes...). Anyway, I know this is going to just create enough torque to rip the blades apart!

Here's the pics:

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Jan 08, 2005, 02:42 AM
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
hey , Man , that looks nice , save me one of those gear boxes ,
but i need to wait a while , christmas about broke me ,
Im sending you a PM in a minute

Tony
Old Jan 08, 2005, 02:55 AM
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
would that happen to be the titainum motor shaft in there ? if so how is it holding up ?
Old Jan 08, 2005, 05:37 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,782 Posts
Gary – that’s going to be a real winner. I am looking forward to a conversion kit for “The Box”. Do you think you will have a kit out sometime this spring?

RC
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jan 08, 2005, 09:28 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,113 Posts
Tony -- Yes,this is using one of the titanium shafts I got from you. I'm getting them cut into several sizes this week and will start offering them as options with the kits this week.

The "stock" Raptor v2 box kits are available now. They will work with either the v1 or the v2 version of the Raptor frames. I'm hoping to have a modified version of Al's UE framset available by the MWE next month. This mod for the XeroG was a "one of", and I don't know if I'll do an adapter set. Depends on how many of these sets are out there.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Last edited by GGoodrum; Jan 08, 2005 at 09:32 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2005, 03:38 PM
Freezin Eskimo
Eden, South Dakota
Joined Feb 2004
89 Posts
So i might be able to get one for this?
Last edited by freezin Eskimo; Jan 08, 2005 at 03:41 PM.