SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 28, 2004, 09:06 PM
Heli Headcase
Cliffside Park, NJ
Joined May 2003
2,551 Posts
Balancing Corona blades on a KSJ Balancer

What is the best way to balance Corona blades on a KSJ balancer. Has anyone done this? Was thinking about balancing them with the blade grips already attached but not sure if this is such a good idea.
Orion_V is offline Find More Posts by Orion_V
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2004, 09:17 PM
BlueGrass Rules
United States, IL, Dahlgren
Joined Nov 2003
1,097 Posts
I found it to be a great idea ! I had to turn down the smallest pin on the balancer to fit the blade grip but it worked just great . First , find the CG without the grips to get your reference for adding tape if needed .
Mount the pin in the drill chuck , mount the drill in the vise , bring the drill to speed and lock-in , and mill the pin to size with a file for a perfect fit for the blade grip .

Mando .
mando is offline Find More Posts by mando
Old Apr 28, 2004, 09:26 PM
Heli Headcase
Cliffside Park, NJ
Joined May 2003
2,551 Posts
Thanks Mando, yeah I tried it with the blade grips alreadty but like you mentioned you need to trim down the size of the smallest pin. Dont have a drill to mill this thing down though
Old Apr 29, 2004, 08:06 AM
denver, colorado
Joined Nov 2003
243 Posts
Most likely obvious, but . . .
Be sure to index which grip goes with which blade.
lasllc is offline Find More Posts by lasllc
Old May 11, 2004, 06:20 PM
Heli Headcase
Cliffside Park, NJ
Joined May 2003
2,551 Posts
I use the smallest pin to balance my Eolo blades. I would rather not modify this pin. Does anyone have any other ideas how I can use the KSJ balancer to balance Corona blades?
Old May 11, 2004, 06:47 PM
---------Speed!!---------
Illinois
Joined Jul 2003
6,134 Posts
I use mine wothout the grips on. It works great. the only thing is, the blades sit too high. So, I turned the see saw plate upside down on my ballancer. This allows the blades to hang down. Try it, you will see what I mean.

Matt.......
Heli Mod Man is offline Find More Posts by Heli Mod Man
Old May 11, 2004, 06:56 PM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
Here's an alternate way of balancing blades using the KSJ blade balancer which works with the Corona. You will need a good-quality digital scale with a resolution of at least 0.1 gram (0.01 is even better) to use it.

1. Use the KSJ blade balancer to find the CGs of the blades
2. Apply electrical tape until you get the blades CGs to match
3. Use the digital scale and weigh the blades
4. Add electrical tape to the CG of the lighter blade until the blades weigh the same

This isn't as accurate as using the KSJ blade balance for both steps, but it works reasonably well for my two Coronas.

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita
Old May 11, 2004, 09:32 PM
Heli Headcase
Cliffside Park, NJ
Joined May 2003
2,551 Posts
Thanks guys!

Matt...

Yeah I originally tried balancing these blades with the "seesaw" right side up but they sat too high. Your method seemed to work. Got'em all balanced up. Hopefully I'll be set for a weekend flying session!

Cheers!
Old May 11, 2004, 09:36 PM
---------Speed!!---------
Illinois
Joined Jul 2003
6,134 Posts
Cool!

So, I am hoping to hear of your Corona up and flying with the new crutch soon!

Matt.........
Heli Mod Man is offline Find More Posts by Heli Mod Man