Closed Thread
Old Apr 30, 2004, 02:44 PM
NTSB most wanted
O-Town, FL
Joined Jun 2003
642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogon1013
went into bobbs for a Ducted fan unit, came out with a whole plane. Got the wattage turbo hawk for $42 (only $20 more than the fan unit it came with). Already mounted my DSCDR motor on it, After re-soldering it to delta configuration it seems to have enough thrust.

Toby

When can we expect to see it fly?
EzEd is offline Find More Posts by EzEd
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2004, 03:59 PM
Team Broke
Orlando/ Winter Garden, FL
Joined Feb 2003
5,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzEd

P.S. Got the CAP 232 RTF!!

Cool Ed,
Which one ? Stevens Aero Models or Wattage ?

Jim
fishdeth is offline Find More Posts by fishdeth
Old Apr 30, 2004, 05:29 PM
Look what I did:D
orlando,Fl
Joined Mar 2003
928 Posts
Toby

how many amps that pull in delta? what diameter is the fan itself?

Brad
plumb is offline Find More Posts by plumb
Old Apr 30, 2004, 05:30 PM
Look what I did:D
orlando,Fl
Joined Mar 2003
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzEd

P.S. Got the CAP 232 RTF!!

RTF???
plumb is offline Find More Posts by plumb
Old Apr 30, 2004, 06:38 PM
NTSB most wanted
O-Town, FL
Joined Jun 2003
642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdeth
Cool Ed,
Which one ? Stevens Aero Models or Wattage ?

Jim
I've been sitting on the Wattage CAP 232 for about a month now. Finally got around to puttin her together. Got stuck on the Horizontal stab but after talking with Niel at Graves and Ed(who has one), I was able to get the thing set right.

It's ready for flight but I'm gonna ditch the Super Cobolt 400 and get a Mega 7.

Eddy
EzEd is offline Find More Posts by EzEd
Old Apr 30, 2004, 06:54 PM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
Dave - Great News !!!!!! Glad to hear your wife will be Ok.

Toby - It's dangerous to come in the shop when I'm there.

Everyone interested in little Heli's - we just got in the collective version of the new Hummingbird. JD should have his flying in the shop Saturday or Monday. Paul came by and picked one up today. We are out of speed controls for them until late next week though. I'll let you know how they fly.

I should be getting an order together for some new stuff (planes and motors) next week. I have a Multiplex Cargo (4 sp 400's) and a B-17 conversion kit coming in next week. Watch out overhead - I'll be dropping bombs and parachutes out of the bomb bay. Could you imagine how it would fly with 4 Mega's in it?

Later

Rob

I'll be out tomarrow if it doesn't rain.
RMason is offline Find More Posts by RMason
Old Apr 30, 2004, 08:48 PM
Watts Rule, Glows Drool
orlando, FL
Joined Mar 2003
3,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumb
Toby

how many amps that pull in delta? what diameter is the fan itself?

Brad

i don't think my winde is ideal, it only pulls 3 amps. i may try to parrallel the winds to lower the resistance. ( I'm glad i wound each poll seperately). The fan is 2.5" in diamater and ment for a speed 400. If i can't get decent power out of the fan unit i will just make the plane prop powered.(the fan's just don't seem to have the performance that the props have)

it will be a while till i have it up in the air, i will be spending alot of weekends making motor parts at work. if it all works out, you should be able to buy CD-rom type motor kits at www.gobrushless.com for a VERY reasonable price. (you already can buy everything for a single stack motor there)
dogon1013 is offline Find More Posts by dogon1013
Last edited by dogon1013; Apr 30, 2004 at 09:58 PM.
Old May 01, 2004, 10:22 AM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
Toby -

Pete's stock sp400 Hawk flew about 50-55mph with a prop, while my sp400 fan flew about 35-40 until I put the brushlesses in it. With the Hacker B20-22L that put the Dynamic at 80mph with a prop it hit about 45 in the fan. Adding the HiMax 3200 it was about the same while the 4200 with a 3 blade fan goes around 55 mph. The WattAge fan unit will only hit around 40-45 mph efficiently. It's just not built for more rpm. It just makes more noise with bigger motors. To get a faster plane, people are using a cut down Kyosho fan rotor in the WattAge housing.

If the Fan doesn't work out, stick a ply ring in the nose and make it a prop. We'll fly the two hawks side by side and compare. It ought to look cool with the twin tails and no fan on top.

Rob
Old May 01, 2004, 07:24 PM
Orlando
Joined Jun 2003
338 Posts
Hey Guys,

Top Gun 2004! It was awesome, I arrived just in time to see a 8ft wingspan B-29 Bomber Drop the Bell X-1, and then continue to do Aerobatics like i didn't believe possible. A Huge 4 engine Bomber doing, Hovering,Outside loops, low speed low altitude inverted passes, You name it, the pilot did.!!!

You guys should try and come out, $10 bucks a person, from 7am-4pm,

So did anyone besides me show up?

Luis
GWSLAWNDART is offline Find More Posts by GWSLAWNDART
Old May 02, 2004, 12:45 AM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
Well - the DC-3 is built like a tank. I found out the hard way.

Ed, Earl and I were flying at Edwards this evening and the DC-3 had what I think was a engine out while on approach for landing. Slow speed and flaps down it entered an uncontrollable spin from about 100 feet. I tried everything to get it out, flaps up, all controls moving to recover it, and finally just before impact I pulled power off (it was only at about 1/3 throttle anyway) and it looked like it had just about stopped rotating as it went out of sight over an embankment on the other side of the road. After watching it spin about 6-10 times (I wasn't really counting) from 100' I was expecting to see shattered fiberglass and bits of balsa and monokote everywhere.

As we made the walk of shame, we thought of the total destruction of the DC-3. Much to our surprise, as we rounded the fence at the embankment, it looked like it was pretty much in one piece. As we got to it and picked it up there was a fully whole plane. All it did was break the motor mount front plates loose and break the battery mount in 3 places. Luckily it hit in tall thick grass and the ground was soft from the rains. It took all of 20 min to repair and most of that was removing the cowls and motors.

It's ready to fly tomarrow

Rob
Old May 02, 2004, 09:10 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Sorry to learn of the hard landing on your DC-3 but, I am glad how it turned out with minimal damge!

It's great that you guys are using Edwards (the school) and three is not a crowd while flying three models there.

You guys need to BUG Earl to see if he ever going to call or give one of us the contact name and number for the Orange County point of contact for the other proposed field that we posted about three (3) weeks ago. Earl showed me this field but, he has not been able to cough up the contact person for the NEXT STEP!

Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old May 02, 2004, 09:29 AM
Orlando Fl
Joined Jan 2002
1,900 Posts
Hey, Rob, where is Edwards? Is this a new flying site?
Chuck
Chuck McHugh is offline Find More Posts by Chuck McHugh
Old May 02, 2004, 07:16 PM
Watts Rule, Glows Drool
orlando, FL
Joined Mar 2003
3,197 Posts
You saw it here first

I wanted to show Orlando e-zone first, attached are pictures of my latest Brushless motor. All custom built, no stators taken from anything.

I call it an opposing pole disk motor. At any one time there is a coil of wire sandwitched between 2 opposite poles of magnets. these 2 disks are bothe attached to the same shaft and rotate.

It does work, although i think i need to go to some thicker wire to really get some power out of it. there are 9 coils and 12 magnet poles, wired in Y, just like most CD-rom motors. I got about 78 coils (very small coils) of #26 gauge wire on each pole.

I will start a new thread on this motor later (maybe tomorrow) once i get some more test data from it.

I had it turning an 9*3.8 prop without a problem. a 10*8 caused mis-fires at 3/4 throttle.

Toby Obermeit

NOTE: pictures can be seen here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227057
dogon1013 is offline Find More Posts by dogon1013
Last edited by dogon1013; May 03, 2004 at 05:53 PM.
Old May 02, 2004, 07:50 PM
Orlando
Joined Jan 2003
584 Posts
Toby.

That's really a cool design.
How did you attach the little square magnets? Also- are they rare earth or something exotic?

I'd say you created a torque monster there!!

Steve
RacerX is offline Find More Posts by RacerX
Old May 02, 2004, 08:21 PM
Orlando Fl
Joined Jan 2002
1,900 Posts
Toby, that is some cool stuff! Keep us posted , you might be the next Astro Bob!!
Chuck
Chuck McHugh is offline Find More Posts by Chuck McHugh
Closed Thread