HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2004, 09:34 PM
Albury ; NSW ; Australia
Joined Apr 2004
78 Posts
Question
Dragonfly / SpyHawk MiniHeli Help

Hi all,

After waiting for 10 days for my Mini SpyHawk ( which after searching the forum found that they are the same as the MiniDragon & Colco Thunderbird) it finally arrived.

The Mini-Helicopter has a 360 main motor separate PG-03 gyro and runs on a 9.6V 700mAh NiMH battery pack.

The problem....

Everything was working fine, except the heli was spinning around when i went to fly it ( i tried the rudder trims but it did not work ). So i thought i would adjust the gain on the gyro.

I reduced the gain on the gyro a little and the heli stopped spinning as fast as it was . So i thought i that was needed, was to reduce the gain a little more.....Thats when the tail motor stopped spinning all together .

I tried re-adjusting the gain to its original position but i couldn't tell what that position was because the adjustment is a screw that can be turned around multiple times.

I attached a 1.5V battery to the rear motor and it didnt turn. I order another one.

Two weeks later (damn hobby shop.. ), I installed the new tail motor. I charged up the 9.6V battery and started to try flying it again.

The rear motor lasted for about 20sec and then burnt out (Everything is stock, there are no upgrades to the Heli).

Can someone please tell me if anything else on the Heli can cause the rear motor to burn out so quickly ?

(Also now and then the Heli does not respond to the throttle stick, the servos work properly.. could it be a mixer problem and not the gyro ?)

PLEEEEASE Help..

Thanks in advance.
vjreddy12 is offline Find More Posts by vjreddy12
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2004, 10:34 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
That sucks VJ...I don't know much about this stuff as I'm a newbie too. But I have flown fixed wing electrics for 2 years.

In my limited knowledge, it does sound like a mixerboard issue, as that controls both the tail and main rotors.

perhaps you could try swapping the cables on the mixer to see if it the throttle spins the tail, and the rudder spins the main rotor. I'm not sure if this is a bad idea, but If it happend to me, I would be doing this to see if I could isolate the problem.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in with better advice. If you do try my suggestion, pls remember that I don't know if this will cause any damage or not due to the different size motors and amp draw.
OzzieFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzzieFlyer
Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:15 AM
Joined Apr 2004
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjreddy12
Hi all,

I reduced the gain on the gyro a little and the heli stopped spinning as fast as it was . So i thought i that was needed, was to reduce the gain a little more.....Thats when the tail motor stopped spinning all together .

Can someone please tell me if anything else on the Heli can cause the rear motor to burn out so quickly ?

PLEEEEASE Help..

Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't think the gyro gain screw should rotate more than one rotation. Most I've seen have about a 90 degree rotation, maybe a little more, before they hit a stopper.

Aside from that, I would not expect that to burn out your tail motor that quickly. I'm betting that all of the electronics were shot out of the box, Mixer and Gyro.

Sounds like my experience with my first Century Hummer vII
omayhemo is offline Find More Posts by omayhemo
Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:41 PM
Albury ; NSW ; Australia
Joined Apr 2004
78 Posts
Thanks for the reply omayhemo,

I will try and get the whole thing swapped around for a new one.

Thanks again
Old Apr 28, 2004, 09:04 PM
United States, CA, Stanton
Joined Jan 2004
2,012 Posts
If the gains set to high it'll burn out the tail motors. I did it twice till I read a few threads here when I first ran across rc groups. If you want a cheap source for tail motors try the DCM-166 at All Electronics Corp.

Opps just saw your in Australia dout they'll ship to you. Maybe someone here can hook you up with some.
mdttb is offline Find More Posts by mdttb
Last edited by mdttb; Apr 28, 2004 at 09:07 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 09:39 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
a good tail mod is the GWS EDP50xc Direct drive IPS motor with the 3020 props. There are lots of posts on this.

You can get that and a matching heat sync from www.aircraft-world.com. If you drill a hole into the heat sync, you can use it to mount the motor.

acworld will ship to Australia for $2.50US.
OzzieFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzzieFlyer
Old Apr 28, 2004, 10:23 PM
Albury ; NSW ; Australia
Joined Apr 2004
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdttb
If the gains set to high it'll burn out the tail motors. I did it twice till I read a few threads here when I first ran across rc groups. If you want a cheap source for tail motors try the DCM-166 at All Electronics Corp.
Thanks mdttb

The whole problem being that, i dont know the start and end point because the screw head turns 360.

Is there a way to visiaul check that the "gain" is set to its lowest setting ?

Quote:
a good tail mod is the GWS EDP50xc Direct drive IPS motor with the 3020 props. There are lots of posts on this.
Thanks OzzieFlyer,

I was looking at something like this:

.....It looks good.

Any more advise or help....PLEEEASE