HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2004, 01:56 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Garage/workshop temprature control...

I am trying to decide if I should spend my Lipo money on a portable AC unit for my Garage workshop. My planes are stored out there, some are foam, and it is uninhabitable in the texas summer.

How hot do you guys let it get where your planes are kept?

Obviously the covering does not like it and some planes seemed to fly better in the summer than winter.

Thanks
Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2004, 01:59 PM
MX
Embedded Systems Engineer
Grass Valley, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,732 Posts
I'm interested in the same thing, since my wife doesn't want me taking up
so much living room space. It doesn't get quite as hot here as texas, but
it's hot enough. I'm wondering what the heating and cooling options are.
What kind of portable AC unit are you talking about?

MX
MX is offline Find More Posts by MX
Old Apr 27, 2004, 04:01 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
First:
I have a westernfacing garage door. So first thing it to isulate the door. Home Depot sells a kit with an R5 rating, but it is little more than 1 1/4" foam with a vynil backing. I was concidering putting some of the r12 rasdiant mylar stuff first, then a layer of pink foam, and finally to make it look good, cover with textured kitchen cabinet covering.

second: My garage walls are not insulated so not much I can do here less than $1000.

third: Roof not insulated. Could put batting up there...still $500

fourth: AC. There are several models of roll around ac units. Frys had one for $379 that is 8500 btu for the size room we are talking about. Main thing about these is that they use a those to duct the hot air outside. So thinkin was to cut a hole in garage door and use a dryer vent for exit as Garage has no windows.

Thats the plan, but its not a cheap one.

Main question was if there are a lot of people who just leave them in the garage and have not noticed a lot of problems with the planes due to major temp variations.

Thanks for any advice people may have.

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Apr 27, 2004, 04:04 PM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,594 Posts
I'd say go for it on the AC unit, that way not only will your planes survive, but you will too if you have to go work on them out there. Insulate the garage door, leave the rest.

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 27, 2004, 04:20 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I put an automatic attic fan into the wall, with a louver (sp?) on the outside wall that opens when it blows. Comes on at about 90, and works VERY well at keeping the garage cooler than it was without (or when I forget to plug it in..)

My models, however, are stored in my basement workshop. 70 degrees year-round..

..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Apr 27, 2004, 04:44 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
I've been thinking about picking up a solar powered attic vent fan for my garage - which is also un-insulated and gets quite hot. Now that I'm flying some larger airplanes, a couple will have to be stored in the garage this summer. 99į in lovely North Hills at the moment, and my A/C broke yesterday.

Pete

Andy Ė donít take this wrong, but your avatar is very disturbing.
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Apr 27, 2004, 04:45 PM
Houston, Texas USA
Joined Apr 2004
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kepople
I am trying to decide if I should spend my Lipo money on a portable AC unit for my Garage workshop. My planes are stored out there, some are foam, and it is uninhabitable in the texas summer.

How hot do you guys let it get where your planes are kept?

Obviously the covering does not like it and some planes seemed to fly better in the summer than winter.

Thanks
Kirby
Kirby:
I live in Houston, and have thought about this before. Perhaps the best solution would be to build a well insulated room in the attick, and use (tack on to) the existing central air conditioner... Wouldn't be very convienient to get to, but it would be cheap storage.

I still have room in the house, so I haven't done this yet, but there sure is a lot of unused space in the attic...
HB1976 is offline Find More Posts by HB1976
Old Apr 28, 2004, 09:19 PM
Tell that to George Zipp!
United States, IL, Inverness
Joined Oct 2000
1,819 Posts
Here is what I would do in order:
Install an attic fan in the attic:The attic can reach 150F in the hot sun. That is on the other side of 1/2 of drywall. Keep that area cool, and the whole area is cool. Runs most of the time in the summer, but at a very low wattatge. I have 2 in my home attics, saves money on A/C.
Insulate the attic: Still very hot up there, better keep away from the living area.
Insulate the garage door: Use a foil backed insulation. If you make the door much heavier, you need a door guy to adjust the springs to offset the weight.
If you get an A/C unit, get an in wall one. The portables are inefficient. Either one is pricey if you intend to let them rn 24/7.

MIKE
mikeb33 is offline Find More Posts by mikeb33
Old Apr 28, 2004, 11:15 PM
We got planes to build
Dallas, TX
Joined Sep 2001
521 Posts
Kirby,

My garage is much like you describe yours, except mine faces south!

The inside of my garage door would get so hot you couldn't touch it. I insulated it using that 3/4inch yellow foam stuff with the silver on one side. It comes in 4x8 foot sheets. I cut it to fit into the sections of the door, and glued it in place using construction adhesive. Made a huge difference.

My garage also has a couple of small windows, so I put a 10,000 btu A/C unit in one of them. If I fire it up in the morning before it gets too hot out there, it will keep the temp tolerable.

I think the next best bang for a buck would be to insulate the ceiling. I have thought about that blown in stuff, but have never priced it.

Dave
dmiller is offline Find More Posts by dmiller
Last edited by dmiller; Apr 28, 2004 at 11:20 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 03:20 PM
Blucor Fanfold Fan
Tampa
Joined Jul 2003
86 Posts
I keep my glow and electric planes in the garage year round. I have never had any problems with my covering, foam or anything else. It gets very hot in the middle of the summer. I would love the a/c for comfort though!
cwat212 is offline Find More Posts by cwat212
Old Apr 29, 2004, 04:30 PM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,200 Posts
Insulate, insulate, insulate!

What good is a garage/shop if it's too hot to function in?

That door is radiating heat into your shop all day, as is the ceiling. The rigid foam insulation in 4X8 sheets is easy to cut to fit and goes up quick.

Insulate the ceiling/door first, then the walls as $$$ permit. Do the walls facing the sun first. If the roll insulation is cheaper (probably), use it on the walls.
To make the airco effective you must insulate everything: the door, walls and ceiling. Otherwise your air unit will be fighting a losing battle and you'll just be wasting money.

Get a ceiling/attic fan to draw out the heated air. Just moving the air will make the room easier to survive in. Put an inlet vent on the coolest wall. Add the airco unit (wall mounted) as $$$$ permit. Only run it when you're in the shop to keep the cost down. The insulation and moving air should keep the heat well below what it is at now.

Sure it costs a few bucks, but it's well worth it and you don't have to do it all at once. I did mine a little at a time and it made a tremendous difference.

BTW, if you can plant some shade trees to block some of that intense sun, go for it.
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Last edited by CoastalFlyer; Apr 29, 2004 at 04:40 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 05:00 PM
√-1 * ∞ = Inverted Flight
Sioux Falls SD
Joined Apr 2004
107 Posts
A little off topic but, I can not stress to you enough, how important a well insulated attic space is. Don't know what's on your roof, as far as shingles, shakes, etc... but the number one factor for shingle deterioration (sp?) is heat. Its also hard on the framing and sheathing of a home, plywood can delaminate. depending on the color of your roof the attic can be 75%-80% higher. In South Dakota I like to use ridge vent and plenty of soffit vents on my new homes. Cooling down the attic naturally helps you with the cost of cooling your home mechanically!

EDIT whoops said "insulated" meant "ventilated" but both are important.
tkgavette is offline Find More Posts by tkgavette
Last edited by tkgavette; Apr 29, 2004 at 05:25 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 05:10 PM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,200 Posts
tkgavette,
That's an excellent point about attic venting. It's amazing how hot an attic can get. That heat gets radiated down into the room below, too, as well as doing all the nasty things you described.

When I had my new roof put on last year the contractor added multiple ridge vents and soffits vents.
My attic temperature is much lower and I know that will be reflected in the temperature of the house as the summer heat rises.

Not that it gets that hot here on the coast.
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Old Apr 30, 2004, 12:51 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,884 Posts
Replacing older homeís window units with central A/C isnít as prevalent as it once was but it still goes on. Years ago when we had out home centrally air conditioned I asked the air conditioning contractors what would be done with the window units they were removing and hauling away. He said they just stacked them out back of their building and gave them away. Ours were very good units and had a lot of use left in them.

You might want to call some of the air conditioning contractors and see if they have any used window units.

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman