HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2004, 10:54 PM
Manhattan, Kansas, United States
Joined Nov 2001
3,503 Posts
Having some fun with my new Hellcat!

Hey guys, I thought I'd post some pics of my new Hellcat. I've actually been working on it on and off for some time, but just test flew it this evening.

The plane is covered in Solite, and the light blue that makes the Hellcat's tri-color scheme is transparent blue over white. I think it sorta shows that you don't have to have an airbrush to get the tri-color effect if you're a little creative with the layering of different colors. The decals were created from a Testors waterslide kit that you can pick up at most Walmart stores. She's powered by an M100 in a GWS GB running a 9X7 3 blader, a 2S 1200mAh ETEC Lipo battery pack, and a combo Plantraco RX-ESC which is pretty darn nifty.
KSU Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KSU Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2004, 10:55 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Man, the tricolor is striking inflight. Shall I start the chant? Video! Video! Video!

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Apr 26, 2004, 08:08 AM
Kansas
Joined Dec 2002
173 Posts
Nice

Mike the Hellcat shows up very nice with the tri-color, and how does it fly with a m-100 on 9x7 3 blade prop. -- Jim
BigDog is offline Find More Posts by BigDog
Last edited by BigDog; Apr 26, 2004 at 08:10 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 08:18 AM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,417 Posts
Nice plane and pics, Mike. I built a #13 last year. I'm not the least bit superstitious!

Steve
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Apr 26, 2004, 08:55 AM
Manhattan, Kansas, United States
Joined Nov 2001
3,503 Posts
Jim,

I wasn't completely impressed with the motor/GB/prop combo in the Hellcat so I think I'll tinker around with a different prop.

Steve,

I thought the same thing when I slap'd the ol number 13 on her, but she's still in one piece...time will tell I guess!

-Mike
KSU Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KSU Flyer
Old Apr 26, 2004, 09:46 AM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,417 Posts
First one to spot the major blunder wins an "atta-boy".

Steve
Old Apr 26, 2004, 10:02 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,490 Posts
The star and bar on the right upper wing surface instead of the left??? Not a big issue when you are having this much fun though
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2004, 11:14 AM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,453 Posts
I'm sure the scale judges will be kind enough to overlook it, though
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Apr 26, 2004, 11:17 AM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,417 Posts
"atta-boy", Eddie!

I built this for a good local friend. He never noticed..

Steve
Old Apr 26, 2004, 03:27 PM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
Nice one! I got the star pointing the wrong way (c.../up) and the number..?
23" span S400 power Q&EFI plan last year. Still flies but can bite in the form of a high-speed stall if pulled hard out of the dive and perform independant aerobatics given room! Hope picture comes out for you. All the best Adi!
Adrian Britton is offline Find More Posts by Adrian Britton
Old Apr 27, 2004, 12:44 AM
Zoom, zoom...
Roseville, CA (Sacramento area)
Joined May 2003
3,514 Posts
Jeez Mike, how many Hellcats do you have now? I think you need to send me one (a built one, you know what I mean).
Trikster is offline Find More Posts by Trikster
Old Apr 27, 2004, 12:50 AM
Surrey BC, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
876 Posts
Mike

Man that looks great in the air. Again I will say "well done".

Colin
Gonzo007 is offline Find More Posts by Gonzo007
Old Apr 27, 2004, 10:36 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,841 Posts
Hey everyone,

I recently started a Guillow's Hellcat built from plans as my first electric warbird. I couldn't believe it; I e-mailed Guillow's customer service asking if they sold their plans, and mentioned that I'd been a customer for twenty-five years, that my sons were now into the hobby building Guillow's kits, and they sent me a full set of plans, decals, cardboard parts and silkspan FOR FREE! The whole mess arrived just before the Easter weekend, and I've been diligently cutting out parts ever since. I'm a slow builder prone to doing fly-pasts over my workbench with partially completed models (for the kids, of course) so I've only got as far as assembling the fuselage formers on the top and side keels. Stringers (bass instead of balsa) come next, but since I'm playing hookey right now from doing my taxes, I probably won't get to these for another day or two. If I can scrounge a digital camera from my brother, I'll post a few pics.

I plan to build more or less stock according to the plans, with some lightening here and there and some judicious bass substitutions, dope and silkspan (call me old fashioned) as a belly-flopper. Power will be an IPS DXA until I get the hang of flying with ailerons, then I'll upgrade to a geared 300 series (probably GWS) for a little more excitement.

Thanks to Steve St. Martin, by the way, who I PM'd to get some construction details.
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Apr 28, 2004, 01:26 AM
Menifee, California
Joined Nov 2003
486 Posts
Wow Steve85! You sure are one for punishment! I just built the Guillows version and stopped when I found some issues that have to be addressed prior to completing it. One of the major issues with the Guillows is the wing insidence if off by 1-2 degrees. Other issues are correct motor mounting, equipment and battery placements.
With that being said, I acquired KSU's F6F Hellcat from http://toddsmodels.com. This version is so much easier to work with as all the parts are lasercut, instructions and assistance here is top notch and also helped me logically modify the Guillows for successful flight. The Guillows version will be completed once I finish Mike's version. I hope this post helps as its not intended to be rude, just honest.
Donodo is offline Find More Posts by Donodo
Old Apr 28, 2004, 02:44 AM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,417 Posts
I have built approx a doz. Guillow's Hellcats, some enlarged. Never changed any incidences. Wash-out is required. They will fly fine on the DXA, if kept around 9oz AUW. My last one wore out many DXA-IPS mtrs, flew for three yrs.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6&page=1&pp=15

Very old cam used here, built basically stock. I was told many times in my career of modeling that I could have built a easier version. I think this is what seperates the ones who enjoy a building challenge, to the ones who prefer to get out flying sooner.
Steve