HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2004, 08:05 PM
Mountain View, CA
Joined Aug 2002
363 Posts
Corona motor gets REAL hot, is this setup right?

I'm running a Krypton 14 turn brushed motor with a CC 35A ESC in a fully stock Corona with a 8 Cell 3300GP pack and a 9-tooth pinion, all up it weight is 2lb 13oz. The motor gets REAL hot, I measured it with a digital therm. (surface probe type, not laser) and it read 99C (so probably a couple C more). That was yesterday, today I was running it and it felt even hotter, the pack gets hot but I can hold it, and I get about 10min of hovering at around half throttle. Should I change to a smaller pinion?
sizam is offline Find More Posts by sizam
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2004, 11:45 PM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,654 Posts
Actually - that's not too bad. Time the motor and put a heatsink on it. I also cut some cooling slots in the canopy. Runs very cool now.
skyhawk is online now Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old Apr 26, 2004, 12:17 AM
Gravity Tester
Central Michigan
Joined May 2003
1,133 Posts
I think 8 cells might be a bit much for that motor and your having to run it throttled way back which isn't very efficient. I ran that motor for awhile in my Corona and it worked great on 7 cells.

Lance
KnimRod is offline Find More Posts by KnimRod
Old Apr 26, 2004, 12:56 AM
Bangkok, Thailand
Joined Jul 2002
220 Posts
I used to hover my corona at half throttle as well, every thing was hot. I added more weight (add another batt pack) now I hover about 70-80% , the ESC got a lot cooler. I have a 5V fan blowing the motor so I don't know if 70-80% throttle helps the motor, I'll bet it does.

Ideally I should get a use a lower tooth pinion, but could not find one.
Mheeli is offline Find More Posts by Mheeli
Old Apr 26, 2004, 11:39 AM
Mountain View, CA
Joined Aug 2002
363 Posts
5v Fan huh, how'd you do that just plug it into one of the Rx channels?
Old Apr 26, 2004, 07:04 PM
Bangkok, Thailand
Joined Jul 2002
220 Posts
I have a Y connector comming out directly from the Batt for the fan. 11-12V does not seem to hurt the fan and I get a lot stronger blow.
Mheeli is offline Find More Posts by Mheeli
Old Apr 26, 2004, 08:36 PM
Pueblo Colorado
Joined Mar 2002
620 Posts
void the heatsink........

go for the fan. Works much better at cooling. 5v is more effecient and lighter plus rev faster when 9.6 is applied, more than 1.8cfm thats for sure. And its much smaller which makes it easier to mount. Connect it directly to the battery plug. The fan should come on as soon as the battery is connected even if the RX and Tx is off. Works best this way......

http://www.jameco.com/cgi-bin/ncomme...s=503;533;798;

here are some links to my setup were you can view some of the fan attachments.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...elected=458482

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...elected=841768
thazy2 is offline Find More Posts by thazy2
Old Apr 28, 2004, 01:39 AM
Fairfield, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,513 Posts
Two Comments:

I like the fan idea...but the heat sink is also a great value...they complement each other. I had a major crash with one of my Corona yesterday (95 degree day, on the blacktop), and I was hoving at about 50 feet....the ESC kicked off...so i consider that unit more critical. Getting the battery out of the helo helps too...Sling it under with the Voyager E skids.

I cut some additionally holes in the top and bottom of the canpoy. Probably get the fan and aim it at the ESC too.

ps. the crash totalled the skids and battery pack. NO other damage. Amazing. Lucking it was a 3300 Gp pack and not a Lithium.
Captain Carlton is offline Find More Posts by Captain Carlton
Old Apr 28, 2004, 11:11 AM
Mountain View, CA
Joined Aug 2002
363 Posts
I'll try and find one of those sinks locally, oddly enough aeromicro doesn't carry them (only the spd280 heat sinks) and I'll check the local tech surplus shop for fans. Now that I'm putting a Mega in there I don't want anything bad to happen to the motor.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 03:07 PM
Pueblo Colorado
Joined Mar 2002
620 Posts
I agree, both together would be an icee combination. Two is always better than one. You can never have too much cooling.

But if both units are $10 a piece and you needed to choose one, the fan would give you 90% MORE cooling ability.

BTW, that fan i'd mentioned above is only 1inch x 1inch x .40 inch deep. It is very hard to find in local electronic stores. Jameco is the only place that i have seen that offers it in one unit increments.

best..............jason
thazy2 is offline Find More Posts by thazy2