SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 25, 2004, 08:31 PM
I have no friends
United States, MI, Holland
Joined Dec 1996
3,376 Posts
Something I can't live without

It's rare that I come accross something in this hobby that I just can't live without, but I did.

After hearing from a few of the old time modellers at the LHS I decided to pick up an Ace Add-A-Trickle for my radio charging. I own a Hitec Eclipse with the stock pack replaced with an 1800mah NiMh pack and always find it to be low on charge when I need it.

After buying this the install was simple. Just cut the wires on your stock radio charger and put this inline. Hook your radio up to charge like you normally would and you have two options. The first is to press the charge button which will do a 16 hour charge at the normal rate and then switch to the trickle rate. Or you can start the trickle rate and let it go indefinately. The trickle rate is 110th of whatever your chargers normal rate is. In the case of my Hitec 55mah for the default charge and 5.5mah for the trickle charge.

The device is made to keep your radio on charge indefinately, so that is what I do. After a week of using this I have never had a case when my radio was not charged when I need it to be. I have also noticed that my radio batteries maintain their charge better than before and last a bit longer, most likely because the very slow trickle rate keeps the cells well matched and charged.

For everyone out there that has the same problems as me, radio is always dead when you need it to be, get one of these and it will go away.

Ace Add-A-Trickle available from your LHS, I got mine from New Creations for around $25.00 plus shipping. Well worth the price.
mt_100 is online now Find More Posts by mt_100
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2004, 09:16 PM
Master ReKitter
San Diego,Ca, USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,756 Posts
I have been using two TME CHARGEminders for almost 6 years with the original TX batts in my JR radios of the same vintage. You simply plug the unit in, then plug a regular (non-surge protector) strip into it and it keeps the TX charged with NO over charging. It will do up to 16 devices!

Here's a link: http://www.tmenet.com/products.htm#cmd
uglyplane is offline Find More Posts by uglyplane
Last edited by uglyplane; Apr 25, 2004 at 09:19 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 09:31 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,289 Posts
This could be one of the best kept secrets in the hobby. I have 4 Add-A-Tickle set-ups in addition to 2 TME units. Each charger is clearly marked as to what radio it is used for so I'm ready to go any time with any plane based on conditions of the day.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Apr 25, 2004, 09:41 PM
London, England
Joined May 2003
1,598 Posts
From what I've read over the last couple of years with regard to battery charging and maintenance, Nicads and nimh cells can be charged at 1/10c and 1/20c respectively, indefinitely anyway. (Maybe this isn't the case??)
My 700mah nicad pack for my TX is charged by my 70mah charger. I've often left it on for a couple of days and the pack still seems to have the same longevity as it did when I bought it about 3 years ago.
thermite is offline Find More Posts by thermite
Old Apr 25, 2004, 09:47 PM
Joined Nov 2000
6,289 Posts
thermite
You may be right as I have also done the same. I think it becomes a problem if done consistantly. At any rate I feel a bit more at ease using the trickle charge. as far as it goes I may be doing it wrong as well.

BM
Old Apr 26, 2004, 09:40 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
I've made my own packs for my Hitec and Futaba TX's. Granted, thats a good idea. But, I am never at a loss for power to my TX's. I always take a spare pack with me.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Apr 27, 2004, 12:22 AM
Joined Nov 2000
6,289 Posts
Dave
I've considered that as well. My problem is the fact that most tranny's have the battery receptacle under a pw board. I don't have enough confidence in my electronic knowledge to make whatever changes are necessary. my solution is several planes--each with it's own transmitted.

BM
Old Apr 27, 2004, 05:26 AM
London, England
Joined May 2003
1,598 Posts
Wow, now that is a luxury, BM! I think having an extra pack is probably the best bet.
thermite is offline Find More Posts by thermite
Old Apr 28, 2004, 02:42 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
I can't believe I have never heard of the Ace Add-A-Trickle. I always forget to A) charge my TX, or B) pull it off the charger. I just ordered one from Radical RC. $21.00!

Thanks guys,

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo