HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2004, 09:15 AM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Mar 2004
15 Posts
Question
Fuel proof spray bombs?

Can anyone suggest the best hardware store variety clear spray bomb paint for fuel proofing a flight box?
I have fuel proofed the wood with polyester resin and used Krylon Fusion for the color but the Krylon is not in the least fuel resistant. I need something to put over it that will be fuel proof.
Any suggestions?
TIA
robd is offline Find More Posts by robd
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2004, 12:34 PM
Joined Jan 2004
50 Posts
Dope? I made a control line plane years ago and was worried about fuelproofing too. I put six coat of clear dope over the colored dope and it was fine. I could have used that area as a fuel tank wall if I had wanted to. I just sanded lightly between coats with some 600 grit sandpaper (320 would be fine too, 600 was all I had), rubbed down the area after with alcohol and put on another coat. Suction cups would stick to the finish.
SeditiousCanary is offline Find More Posts by SeditiousCanary
Old Apr 25, 2004, 01:05 PM
Jacksonville, IL
Joined Dec 2002
266 Posts
If you stay away from the clear and the metallics, Rustoleum is as fuel proof as dope IF YOU LET IT GAS OFF!!!!!!!!!! Many people are unwilling to wait a week for the darn stuff to dry thoroughly and get disgusted when the paint turns to goo. But I know of some expert c/l stunt flyers who use it on their planes, so it must work to some degree. Just don't expect any finish to hold up to abuse with raw glow fuel (not even "fuelproof" dope). I think it will eat anything if left to stand unattended on any surface for too long. Good luck, Dzl
Dzlstunter is offline Find More Posts by Dzlstunter
Old Apr 25, 2004, 01:17 PM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
Water based polyurathane floor varnish is one of the most durable and fuel proof coatings there is.
Ollie is offline Find More Posts by Ollie