SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 24, 2004, 01:59 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, I crashed my Raven!

I have/had a Dymond Raven sailplane. With a 550 geared motor, it flies great!!! Was flying today with a breeze and all was well, did some loops and some rolls and even flew inverted for a spell. On the 3rd launch, it took off and turned suddenly right. It was like a knife edge at 5 feet up!!!! It cartwheeled and smashed to smithereens the wing!!! I did hit a gust of wind upon the launch and that helped it really go to the right. No matter how good you think you are, there are times when things like this happen that really humble you. I hope that Helmut over at Dymond has spare wings for the Raven. It really is a graceful bird when its flying!

PS...for those of you with weak stomachs, either close your eyes or don't view the pic...

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2004, 04:20 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,686 Posts
Time to use your next $500 for a hotliner setup...

Nike 2
AXI 2820/10
40 amp esc
14x9.5 prop
8 cells

And it will fly great...

J
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Apr 24, 2004, 04:30 PM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,871 Posts
Those aren't smithereens ;)

Sorry 'bout your crash but that is hardly even broken!
Pull off the covering (actually,warm it with a hot air gun and gently peel),layout some lines on a bench for alignment and glue in some wood.Recover & balance to suit and your flying again.
Skies.
Jay.
AirBornOne is offline Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Old Apr 24, 2004, 07:00 PM
Rochester, MN
Joined Nov 2002
983 Posts
It only looks very bad while the event is fresh. Put it away for a few days and re-evaluate it and you'll find that it can be fixed and it'll fly great again.
evan is offline Find More Posts by evan
Old Apr 25, 2004, 07:51 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Jay, a Nike or Bandit is definetly in my future and is the next model purchase.
I am going to have to really smooth over the Kommadant on that one!!!!
As far as damaged wing, I have it sitting on the ping pong table in the shop area and will look at it this week and see what I can do with it.
Once I put on a planetary gear drive on the Raven, the dang thing flew great!
Not the fastest but enough power to climb up and do big loops and fly inverted etc. Looked really nice in the sky.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Apr 25, 2004, 06:54 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,133 Posts
Hey Lucky -what setup do you have in the Raven? How many watts/lb? I fly the Apex and I'm loving it with 70+ watts/lb - I may consider the Raven as a next step.

Thanks
JimNM
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM