HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2002, 12:24 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2001
47 Posts
xing charger problem - please help!

I have a xing 7 cell carger. I have recently noticed that my speed 400 motors may be low on power. Could it be that a problem has developed in the charger that is lowering the peak charge of the pack?? Can I test for this by checking the peak voltage of the cells after a charge???

Thanks in advance
Stephen
wigham1 is offline Find More Posts by wigham1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2002, 08:29 AM
Somewhere in England
Joined Apr 2001
207 Posts
It's unlikely to be a problem with the charger. Is the run time ok or is that also reduced? How old is the motor and battery? Have they had a lot of use? Are the motor shafts in reasonable shape or bent?
cwatters is offline Find More Posts by cwatters
Last edited by cwatters; Jan 01, 2002 at 08:33 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2002, 09:04 AM
Gibraltar
Joined Jan 2001
133 Posts
Checking the voltage is only useful if you can see the charging voltage on a given pack has gone up over a number of charges. This would indicate a higher resistance in the pack.
Your best bet is to check the current and the charge time to see how much charge is going in.
Also, be aware that Speed 400 motors don't last forever, particularly if they're running high currents or running hot.

Andrew
Andrew Mifsud is offline Find More Posts by Andrew Mifsud
Old Jan 01, 2002, 05:58 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2001
47 Posts
Thanks for your replys.

The motor is a bit old now, and I have just converted it to run fowards, afte running bacwards all it life - it is a 7.2 volt motor from a Soarstar. I am suspicious that this is the problem. I also noticed that the power was down when I flew another plane recently (there a big gaps between my flying outings). The power also seemed low, but this was using a Zgi motor that I altered to run fowards. Could this be the problem??

The thing that made me suspect the charger, is that the "trickle charge" light has started to go out when the pack is fully charged. I dont remember it doing that before.

Thanks again
Stephen
Old Jan 01, 2002, 07:20 PM
Somewhere in England
Joined Apr 2001
207 Posts
It may take awhile for the brushes to run in to suit the new
direction. When you change the direction of rotation the forces on the brushes changes so they tend not to seat down very well.

Did you need to retime for the new direction?

Colin
cwatters is offline Find More Posts by cwatters
Old Jan 02, 2002, 12:35 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2001
47 Posts
Thanks, your advice is encouraging. I did notice that it flew better after approximately 6 flights, perhaps I just need to keep flying until it improves. I havn't retimed the motor, I assumed that it came neutrally timed.

I have also just charged a pack on my spare 12v battery - the problem with the trickle charge light did not occur. Therfore, it is very possible that I have an electrical problem with my car - which would explain why I have to start it with a screwdriver across the poles of the starter motor most of the time.

Thanks
for your help
Stephen