Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 24, 2004, 05:05 AM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
Learn then upgrade or upgrade then learn ?

Hi Guys

I have bought a GWS Dragonfly to learn helis with...I have also ordered some Like90 blades and head stiffener.

My question is should I put these on first, then start learning, or should I start learning, then when i'm a bit better, upgrade them.

Maybe I should I trim the stock blades instead, then upgrade later to the Like 90's ?

What do you think ?

I kind of like the idea of apreciating the difference between the old and the new...but then again, why make it harder than it needs to be.

I think i'm indecisive....but sometimes, i'm not so sure....
OzzieFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzzieFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2004, 06:51 AM
Spring Valley. MN
Joined Jun 2000
4,458 Posts
Start with it all stock. I believe the upgrades you have are to improve forward flight more so than hover performance. The head stiffener should deffinatly be left off as this will allow more blade conning which should have the same effect as more diehdral on an airplane.
buzzsaw 46 is offline Find More Posts by buzzsaw 46
Old Apr 24, 2004, 08:39 AM
I see the future.
Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
2,134 Posts
The like90 blades will definately improve control in hover and all aspects of flight. That being said, I still think you should use the stock stuff until it breaks and then switch over. Take the time to trim 3mm off the TE of the stock main blades and this will improve control somewhat, or cover them with heat shrink tubing or similar. A head stiffener is really only needed for forward flight.
co
Yukonho is offline Find More Posts by Yukonho
Old Apr 24, 2004, 10:17 AM
"Simplify, then add lightness"
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,701 Posts
I would highly recommend learning to fly it stock, especially if you don't have an experienced pilot to test and trim it after any mods. Also, I would recommend against trimming the blades, use the heat shrink instead. The heatshrink can be removed, but if you cut to much off the blades there is no way to fix them.

Jeff
jeffs555 is offline Find More Posts by jeffs555
Old Apr 24, 2004, 10:19 AM
I see the future.
Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
2,134 Posts
Good points Jeff
co
Old Apr 24, 2004, 03:33 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
Re the heatshrink. Is any heatshrink ok or should it be a special one ? I read the thread on heatshrink and the guy mentioned not to use just any one, but a particular one due to it's thickness and light weight. We don't have access to many of the things you do down here in Australia, so if it's a special heatshrink, I could be in trouble.

What does the heatshrink do ? It would add more mass...which does what ? Make it more stable ? Does it also add "some" crash protection ?

I don't mind trimming the blades if that's a good idea...I will have already have 2 spares (the original, a spare original and the like90's)
Old Apr 24, 2004, 05:52 PM
I see the future.
Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
2,134 Posts
Any speed 300 size heatsink will do. Aluminum is a great conductor of heat and the fins on the heatsink provide greater surface area for the heat to escape. Heat flows from your motor to the heatsink and then into the air. It adds almost no weight, mine ways less than 9 grams. It offers no crash protection. If you ever damage your motor in a crash, you have very little helicopter left.
for the blades, add the heatshrink. It is way better than trimming them.
co
Old Apr 24, 2004, 06:38 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
Thanks Yukonho, but I was referring to the heatsHRink, not heatSink. The motor I will keep stock for now..I'm referring to the rotor blades. I am curious if I can use the same stuff as they use for battery packs, or is there a special super thin light weight heatshrink to cover the blades. What diameter should I use as well ?
Old Apr 24, 2004, 08:04 PM
I see the future.
Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
2,134 Posts
HAHaha
sorry thats funny.
Use the stuff they cover battery packs with. Pick a size that just fits over the thick part of the blade. I am not sure exactly what size it is. I think 1.5"
It removes the undercamber of the blades and makes them produce less lift. This gets the headspeed up and improves control. They will not be any stronger though.
co