HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2004, 01:52 AM
Long live the SHP!
CA
Joined Mar 2003
2,487 Posts
Attention Clancy Aviation fans! New planes!!!

Hey gang,

Just got back from RCX not too long ago and found THREE new planes from Andy Clancy distributed by Global/Hobby People.

Plane #1-Big Lazy Bee 60" ARF

Shock-Absorbing Main Landing Gear on this baby!
The only decent pic I could get was of the underside since it was hanging from the ceiling.

Plane #2-Lazy E-Bee EP RTF

Wingspan: 28.5 inches
Length: 23 in.
Weight: 9.5ounces
Wing Loading: 5.7 oz/sq. ft.

Features:
4 channel FM radio
Light molded foam (felt like depron)
Geared motor w/ heatsink
NiMh batt
Cirrus 6.5 servos

Plane #3-Ascender EP RTF Flying Wing

Wingspan: 27 inches
Length: 14.5 inches
Weight: 11.4 ounces

Features:
Al EPP One-Piece Wing
370 motor w/ 6 cell batt
Steerable Nose Gear
Tricycle Landing Gear
4 Channel Radio w/ Cirrus CS-09 servos

Not sure exactly when they are coming out. The Global guys told me within a month or two. (Let's keep our fingers crossed)

Sorry the pics aren't that great. They're from my phone camera.

Thomer
thomer is offline Find More Posts by thomer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2004, 11:25 AM
Fly
Veracitarian Muser
Tempe, Arizona USA
Joined Dec 2001
582 Posts
Great news! Thanks for the excellent report.

Andy let me fly the prototypes for the foamy Bee and the wing.

I can't speak to the production units, but the prototype Bee had an EPP fuse and Depron wing and flew very much like a Bee! I saw Andy fly it in the rain and 10-15 MPH winds with floats on a small lake. I flew it in nice weather off ground and found it very easy to fly, very stable and stall resistant, yet loads of fun.

The wing is quite different from any other wing I have flown. It is amazingly stable and easy to fly, rolls off ground and lands quite nicely (it REALLY slows down nicely) but will still roll and loop like most wings. It has a sense of down (roll stability, likely due to the landing gear lowering the CG) that most wings do not have, but that doesn't seem to interfere with it's ability to move around nicely! The landing gear is extremely clever, another Clancy great design. It is easily and quickly removable for grass fields, and just as easy to put back on. I think this is the perfect first wing/second plane kind of bird (not that it won't also appeal to more experienced fliers!).

Note, I am speaking from experience with prototypes and I do not know what changes might be in the production units, but I am usually pleasantly surprised. I am very fortunate to see many of Andy's planes in early design stages. Nothing pleases me more than to see the great master at work!

-- Alan
Fly is offline Find More Posts by Fly
Old Apr 24, 2004, 12:33 PM
Long live the SHP!
CA
Joined Mar 2003
2,487 Posts
Hey Alan,

Good to hear from you! Are you going to get the 60" ARF? It was a really sweet looking plane in person. I'm not sure what the prices are going to be either. The 60" ARF was the only one that had a stock number, so that is most likely to be released first. The Ascender had just been brought out to them to put on the display glass, so no one knew anything about it. But I did get to see the trick steering gear for it. It does ROG, too! Cool!

Kevin
Old Apr 24, 2004, 08:07 PM
Fly
Veracitarian Muser
Tempe, Arizona USA
Joined Dec 2001
582 Posts
I will probably pass on the 60". I'm more into the small stuff. The Lazy Bee is the largest plane I own, and if it didn't fly so damn well, I wouldn't bother with any 40" plane. (OK, my Slow Stick is 48", but I mostly use it for training others to fly, and for front yard slow flying.) However, I most certainly want the other two new Clancy birds!

Did I mention Andy has more great new planes in the pipeline? Opps, I wasn't supposed to say anything.

Well, I better go get ready to put my Lady Bug in helicoptor mode.

-- Alan
Fly is offline Find More Posts by Fly
Old Apr 26, 2004, 01:27 PM
Hiigaran member
'on a mountian in New Hampshire
Joined Aug 2002
904 Posts
Happy Happy, Joy, Joy! Happy Happy, Joy, Joy! Happy Happy, Joy, Joy! Happy Happy, Joy, Joy! Happy Happy, Joy, Joy! Happy Happy, Joy, Joy! Happy Happy, Joy, Joy!

-LY
Lone Yankee is offline Find More Posts by Lone Yankee
Old Apr 28, 2004, 01:31 AM
Long live the SHP!
CA
Joined Mar 2003
2,487 Posts
Hey Yank,

You ever get your Turbo Bee flying?

thomer
Old Apr 28, 2004, 01:37 AM
Long live the SHP!
CA
Joined Mar 2003
2,487 Posts
The 60" ARF is 5 to 6 pounds and calls for a .32-.46 2 stroke or a .40-.61 4 stroke. What would be a good electric system to put in this beauty? I'm familiar w/ smaller brushless motors, but not the big 'uns.

thomer
Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:12 AM
Hiigaran member
Joined Aug 2002
904 Posts
Hello! The TB is essentially finished, I just have to get the ESC fixed and re-installed. Being as I have only one sensored BL motor and one sensored BL ESC and the motor is literally built into the airframe, they are rather joined at the hip.

As for a motor for the Big-Bee ARF, I would direct your attention to some of the mid-size and larger AXI motors sold by Hobby Lobby. The 2814 and 2820 look especially attractive. These big "rotary can motors" eliminate the need for a gearbox, reduce the size of the prop the gearbox implies which simplifies mounting and ground clearance issues. I have used the smaller versions and they are a joy. There are KAN and HECELL NiMh cells out there that hold plenty of power and discharge at over 20 amps with ease. There is definite potential there.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 08:01 AM
Hiigaran member
Joined Aug 2002
904 Posts
Here is the TBee on its first flight attempt. The Razor-400 Direct Drive just did not have the sack necessary to get her off the runway. She currently has an Aveox 1015 - 3Y on a cut-down APC 8x6E, the CC Dragon-35 has been glitching like a maniac and needs to be serviced. I'll post results as soon as I get her back in the air.

-LY
Old Apr 29, 2004, 07:50 PM
Long live the SHP!
CA
Joined Mar 2003
2,487 Posts
Very nice looking Bee on Steroids, Yank! I'm definately looking foward to the flight report. Global told me a while back that there is a possibility of a Turbo Bee ARF in the future. Sometimes the kit goes on sale for $39.99 at Hobby People. It's not that I don't enjoy building, it's just the time factor that keeps me from buying kits.

thomer
Old Apr 29, 2004, 08:06 PM
Australia
Joined Oct 2000
1,223 Posts
I still think their Speedy Bee is one great plane..pic of mine on water.
They should make a aileron version of a Parkfler size..should be popular.
MartinL is offline Find More Posts by MartinL
Old Apr 29, 2004, 08:31 PM
Long live the SHP!
CA
Joined Mar 2003
2,487 Posts
Here's a pic of my Speedy Bee built by Sierra Aardvark. (Kevin Williams) Great guy, and great builder) Powered by an Astro 020 and a 10 cell KAN 950 pack. Great power w/ an APC 11x7 prop. Tried putting a TP 2100 pack in it, but it was way too light. My Speedy needs lots of nose weight to keep balanced. What are you powering yours with, Martin?

A park flyer speedy would be great!

thomer
Old Mar 10, 2005, 09:56 PM
Joined May 2004
79 Posts
I bought a Clancy Ascener for 100.00 on sale at Hobby people, it flys great, I covered it in tape for extra strenth , it s alot of performance for the money with battery , radio ect.
surfdawg is offline Find More Posts by surfdawg
Old Mar 11, 2005, 12:01 AM
Crossville, TN
Joined Dec 2004
2,907 Posts
I built six of the 40",one of the 48",and one of the 60" Clancy Lazy Bee designs.Two of the small ones and the 60" had Clancy design floats.I was still into slimers back then,but they were great fliers as originally designed w/o ailerons.Andy really has it all together!!
Art Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Art Schmitz
Old Mar 11, 2005, 01:08 AM
Long live the SHP!
CA
Joined Mar 2003
2,487 Posts
It's been almost a year I have been waiting for the 60" Lazy Bee ARF to come out. It was showcased at RCX last year and it's still not out yet. I can't wait to get my hands on one!!!!! I own every one of Andy's planes and I have been looking forward to getting my hands on this one to add to my Bee Hangar.