Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 31, 2001, 07:36 PM
KZ RIDER
Confederate States of America
Joined Nov 2001
1,037 Posts
Question
Will this motor work with this plane???

Does anybody know if the stock geared motor out of my GWS Litestik will work in my IFO? I'm not looking for hover power, just something light with enough thrust to fly it well. Also does anybody know of a better way to attach the servos to a IFO instead of butt gluing the bottom of them to sheet balsa under the carbon rods?? Thanks Ray
raythomas is offline Find More Posts by raythomas
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2001, 07:58 PM
DNA
NE Ohio
Joined Jun 2001
3,311 Posts
The T-IFO (trainer) which is the same size as the standard
IFO uses the Litestick (GWS A) motor and geardrive as its
standard drive system. Look at www.flyifo.com
I just used thin double sticky foam to mount the servos.
DNA is offline Find More Posts by DNA
Old Jan 01, 2002, 12:33 AM
KZ RIDER
Joined Nov 2001
1,037 Posts
When i built my IFO, I followed the instructions and used thick CA to fasten the motor and the servos to the carbonfiber rods. The only problem was that everytime i landed a little hard the servos and motor would pop off and i would have to glue it back on again. In fact now that i think about it, i never did fly it without the motor falling off on landing. What would be the maximum weight that a Litestik geared motor would pull reasonably?? Thanks Ray
Old Jan 01, 2002, 01:32 AM
I broke it
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,745 Posts
Ray,

If you use the 280-300ma nimh or even the 700nimh's, gws rx, hs-55 servos, a dx-a will fly
the ifo very well. AUW is somewhere around 7 oz
with the lighter cells, and although it aint gonna go vertical, it will be plenty power for ifo antics. Some of my club members fly them at night in a parking deck, under, over, thru, or into obstacles, and it is great fun. I have both a mini and a regular IFO, and both have dx-a's. To help keep servos attached, try wrapping some of the kevlar thread around the rods in front and behind the servos, in a figure 8 pattern, then ca the thread...locks them in place till you want them off. I wrapped mine in masking tape b4 I did this, so the glue isnt direct to the servo case. BTW, the ifo on my site is the old 280 powered one..I need to update that!!

Later,
David
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2002, 10:20 AM
KZ RIDER
Joined Nov 2001
1,037 Posts
Thanks alot Gofli, I'll give that a try. Ray
Old Jan 01, 2002, 03:51 PM
KZ RIDER
Joined Nov 2001
1,037 Posts
I forgot to ask, but isn't it going to be hard to balance it with the lighter Litestick motor on it instead of the heavy geared sp280? Thanks Ray
Old Jan 01, 2002, 07:36 PM
I broke it
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,745 Posts
Ray,

You may need to move your battery mount around to balance it, but it's not a major deal.

Later,
David
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2002, 07:43 AM
KZ RIDER
Joined Nov 2001
1,037 Posts
What kind of control surface throws are you using, when measured from the back of the elevons? I tried to fly this plane about a year ago with the stock geared sp280 and i never could get mine to roll like the ones on their website videos. Thanks Ray
Old Jan 02, 2002, 09:25 AM
I broke it
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,745 Posts
Ray,

I have 40-45 degree throws with 35% exponential to decrease the sensitivity around neutral.

Later,
David
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2002, 07:53 PM
KZ RIDER
Joined Nov 2001
1,037 Posts
Do you mean 45 degrees total? or do you mean 45 degrees up and then 45 degrees down? What kind of servos do you use? Do you use a single pushrod or pull-pull cables? Thanks Ray
Old Jan 02, 2002, 08:06 PM
I broke it
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,745 Posts
Ray,

45 deg each way, kevlar pull pull, hs-55 servos. Dan has a section on his site about setup that covers quite a bit, if you don't have the origianl plans and instructions.

Later,

David
RCG Plus Member