SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 23, 2004, 12:04 PM
Joined Apr 2004
209 Posts
Post your night bats pics here!

Here's mine,

my favorite night flying craft, a variation (sharper shape) of Mugi with GWS 55 EDF
EdBall Flies! is offline Find More Posts by EdBall Flies!
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2004, 05:24 PM
Doh!
United States, IL, Naperville
Joined Apr 2004
306 Posts
wow that looks like fun. how easy is it to keep track of its orientation at night?
scurrier is offline Find More Posts by scurrier
Old Apr 23, 2004, 09:07 PM
Joined Apr 2004
209 Posts
Size and colours matters maybe?

I have a much bigger Mugi with a 47" span that runs off a 500 geared. That one has almost the same Leds setup as above but sports a red Leds at the nose. I would say it is much easier to tell the orientation from the bigger model. But then again, flying the small one is much easier to land, I dun know why but I can estimate the attitude of the dark ground much better with the small one. The big one tends to land way off my intended spots by as much as 50 meters away! Also, I usually avoid doing too much aerobatic moves, 1 complete roll or loop usually, I still remember my stupidility of trying to roll it too many times and had lost complete orientation unknowingly thinking the plane is upright when it was actually upside down. I managed a unscheduled hard landing (belly slam) when I tried to pull a loop right after the rolls.

I also tried Leds lighting on my other planes like the T3D II but it is really hard to fly them at night, I just can't see where it is going other than a ball of lights zipping about, Mugi is best due to the way it dissipates the light internally illuminating the outline of the craft, take a look at www.mugi.co.uk, that guy has a really neat website detailing build instructions even for Leds lighting.
Old Apr 24, 2004, 09:24 AM
Joined Apr 2004
209 Posts
Another Mugi usually for night fly.
Last edited by EdBall Flies!; Apr 26, 2004 at 04:59 AM.
Old May 06, 2004, 10:01 AM
Mugi Pilot
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined May 2000
521 Posts
Hi Edball,

Great photos! and I should also say thanks for spreading the news on the Mugi.
I find that perhaps the easiest orientation comes from different coloured wings. My favourite Mugi is just two colours - left and right. I try to use red and blue instead of red-green so if someone sees the plane they won't believe it to be a full size plane.

That EDF55 looks like fun!! Do you find your geared 500 version works well? Our own experiments found that for the Mugi a faster direct drive seemed to be more suitable than geared, but then that was with a slightly smaller Mugi.

All the best

Morgan
Moogee is offline Find More Posts by Moogee
Old May 06, 2004, 12:16 PM
Michele Somaschini, Spain
Madrid (Spain)
Joined Sep 2001
1,102 Posts
My dear LOWWATT with Curteks.

Easy to install and difficult to lose orientation in total darkness once you get used to it.
Got very long flights at night with it.
RookieOne is offline Find More Posts by RookieOne
Old May 27, 2004, 07:40 AM
Joined Apr 2004
209 Posts
Hey Morgan,

The motor I am using is a Graupner 6300# I think. Black can brushed and I tried running it direct drive before but no matter how I match different props, I can't seem to get the ideal thrust/pitch ratio without getting the amp too high and kill the motor. So I simulate a few on Motocalc and it seems to point me in the geared 3:1 ratio with a 11X7 prop. With that setup on RC 2400 8 cell, I get about 5-6 mins of flight and I am pretty happy with it. It has enough power to climb at a good rate and speed is pretty good as well while still are hand launchable. It is funny, about your mugi, I wished I had seem your design earlier when I was at Brookes pursuing a biz degree, could have flown with you or something. I will see if I get pull a vid someday and give it to ya for addition to your site.
Old May 27, 2004, 07:41 AM
Joined Apr 2004
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieOne
My dear LOWWATT with Curteks.

Easy to install and difficult to lose orientation in total darkness once you get used to it.
Got very long flights at night with it.
Wow! that looks like a real aircraft parked on the runway at night if not for its see thru covering. Nice!
Old May 27, 2004, 01:40 PM
Michele Somaschini, Spain
Madrid (Spain)
Joined Sep 2001
1,102 Posts
Glad to see you like it.

Night flying has become one of my favourites! Specially those long summer days. With such heat coming off the ground we can thermal with our models at night and stay up there till late.
RookieOne is offline Find More Posts by RookieOne
Old May 27, 2004, 07:35 PM
prop hangin it (stock)
Philadelphia Pa/Wilm, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Apr 2004
206 Posts
Wow amazing pictures, I think I might outline my SS with lights and night fly.. that'd be cool! =D
joe_d is offline Find More Posts by joe_d
Old May 28, 2004, 12:09 AM
aka Anthony
Edmonton, Alberta
Joined Jul 2002
1,009 Posts

I actually don't own this plane anymore but it was awesome to fly at night.
Xoltri is offline Find More Posts by Xoltri
Old May 28, 2004, 01:07 PM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Dec 2001
3,133 Posts
Gonna have to get some pix of my Dandy with the Curtek Lear Jet system on it. I got to try it last night, but the wind was still up just a little too much at 8:45PM!

Mike
Smash McCrash is offline Find More Posts by Smash McCrash