SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 23, 2004, 01:33 AM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Extreme FLight RC Mini 3d

Well, the Gee Bee is ready to test so that means time to start a new project. I will do this one as an as it develops thread since this plane has been converted in this months Fly RC mag.

Tired of my AXI 2820 sitting around since last SEFF, I saw the mag and thought, its not too pretty but the motor will be easy to get to and the price is good. Then I saw the vid on Extreme Flights site and I ordered it the next day.

Side bar: Extreme FLights Customer service is GREAT!. I ordered it on the phone and was told it would ship the next day (it was 5:00 pm)> I also ordered some stuff from ZB. Esprits order came in in 2 days, I expected this kit the next day it was coming from Atlanta area. Nope...Yesterday I called Extreme flight and got a hold of Chris, fresh in from China...(oh boy, wait until you see what he has coming at SEFF). Chris looked up the info while I was on the phone, did not even put me on hold. It was Dropped on the porch on the 17th. Chris called Fed Ex, and called me back and said if they could not find it he would ship me one the next day. LAter I discovered that Fed Ex put it on my neighbors porch 6 doors down. I called CHris and told him all was well. Picked up the plane and here we are, fat and happy.

Let me tell you this...

This is the best packaged ARF I have ever seen. Every part wrapped in foam, then sealed in a plastic bag. Took 20 minutes to get all the plastic off.

This thing is bigger than I thought, but the 2820 is doing well on it.

Small side bar: You have to read the text on the box. I love forgein translations. Dont think is just China. Also note the photo of the decal provided by Kyosho for my Scale GeeBee ARF.
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2004, 01:52 AM
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Here all the parts are out of the box. I am not a big fan of the Pink, but I guess they like it. Problem is that my Wife "Loves it" now I guess I have to keep it pink.

Photo 2 shows all the parts stuck together. At this point the frame weighs a whopping 12.6 oz with a 38.8" wing span and 43" length. All the contents in the box, minus the packaging weighs 18.3 oz. A
Some weight data:

===================
17.3 all the contents of the box (frame included)
2.24 servos
8.1 3s2p 1500's
8.7 motor/rx/esc/prop adapter
3 misc
-------
37.34 est AUW

Spec is 32 oz with glow power. hmmm...

The last photo shows it next to my .40 size GeeBee. The surfaces on this bird are larger than my .40 Aeroworks Edge.

We will see what happens.

note on assembly. The article stated there was difficulty in getting the wing in the saddle. I filed one spot and my wing slides freely in and out. The parts naturally appear to line up well with minimal sanding to be required. There is now an addendum to the manual included with some important tips.

Kirby
Last edited by kepople; Apr 23, 2004 at 01:57 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 07:07 AM
De-Brushed user
Midland, Tx / W. Lafayette, Ind.
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
How many amps are you planning to pull? I didnt think those Kokam 1500 cells could handle more than ~7c, and the AXI can pull 40.
Jonathan
CAFplanekid is offline Find More Posts by CAFplanekid
Old Apr 23, 2004, 07:28 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAFplanekid
How many amps are you planning to pull? I didnt think those Kokam 1500 cells could handle more than ~7c, and the AXI can pull 40.
Jonathan

First, I really like the AirFrame since it's not totally profile FUSE!

Second, I must agree with Jonathan that the AXI pulls quite a few more AMPs than what the KOKAM 3S1P would like.

Pink doesn't bother me such as long it is a good flying model....

Good luck with attaining 3D skills.
Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Apr 23, 2004, 09:40 AM
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000
First, I really like the AirFrame since it's not totally profile FUSE!

Second, I must agree with Jonathan that the AXI pulls quite a few more AMPs than what the KOKAM 3S1P would like.

Pink doesn't bother me such as long it is a good flying model....

Good luck with attaining 3D skills.
Carlos
Actually it will be 3s2p which are 8c according to FMA. I am shooting to keep burst which should only be if i get in touble low to the ground around 27 amps which means a 10x5 prop according to Esprit. I found these numbers on my 4120 to be a touch conservative in actual run tests.

A 12turn would be preferrable to the 10 turn, but I dont have one of those.

I will make some tests with comparable round cells when I have the motor in the plane.

The Fuse is actually a stanard width for a plane of this size at 3 1/4" inches, but the fuse is so tall it looks like a profile.

Kirby
Old Apr 23, 2004, 09:58 AM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,177 Posts
Kirby,
I was swinging an 11X5.5 and only pulling 29 amps on the 2820/10 at Full. My ideal prop would be a 12X6 at 36 amps. However my 3S2P TP 2100's were getting a bit too warm on that for my taste. You will love this plane. It refuses to Stall. Chris is amazing in his service and he has been bitten by the E-bug. And you are right.... his SEFF project is going to be cool. Enjoy the assemble...it is a short one

-mike
Mike Parsons is offline Find More Posts by Mike Parsons
Old Apr 23, 2004, 02:40 PM
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantae
Kirby,
I was swinging an 11X5.5 and only pulling 29 amps on the 2820/10 at Full. My ideal prop would be a 12X6 at 36 amps. However my 3S2P TP 2100's were getting a bit too warm on that for my taste. You will love this plane. It refuses to Stall. Chris is amazing in his service and he has been bitten by the E-bug. And you are right.... his SEFF project is going to be cool. Enjoy the assemble...it is a short one

-mike
I thought I read someone had an 11x5.5 on this motor and was not high. I thought Esprits stats seemed a little off.

Kirby
Old Apr 23, 2004, 02:49 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
I like that cute butterfly model in the back. Now I know where you put your C50

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old Apr 23, 2004, 04:14 PM
I hole jumped him!!!
Amarillo Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Dec 2001
931 Posts
Hey Kirby, save us lazy guys a search and post a link where this plane is available.
Thanks.
Lance
Lance is offline Find More Posts by Lance
Old Apr 23, 2004, 04:23 PM
And You're Not
Timbuktu, Mali (Happy?)
Joined Oct 2002
6,514 Posts
For the Lazy!
Jeffery is offline Find More Posts by Jeffery
Old Apr 23, 2004, 05:15 PM
I hole jumped him!!!
Joined Dec 2001
931 Posts
Ok Jeff...thanks...I think. Everytime I post I see you posting right behind me. It'd getting kind or eerie. I think you may be stalking me. If I'm out and about tomorrow and I see you around then I'll know it's true.

See ya at the Fun Fly tomorrow bud.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 05:47 PM
And You're Not
Timbuktu, Mali (Happy?)
Joined Oct 2002
6,514 Posts
Yeah, but I noticed you didn't reply to my stalker post in the other thread..I know, you have a clean reputation.

Don't want to hijack Kirby's thread totally, so I will ad that I know a few guys flying these (not E) and they like them! I think the fuse if pretty fragile (best kind!) so be careful where you grab it.
Jeffery is offline Find More Posts by Jeffery
Old Apr 23, 2004, 06:00 PM
I hole jumped him!!!
Joined Dec 2001
931 Posts
I'm sure Kirby is silently appreciating all these off topic bumps to the top (even if all the other fine upstanding ezoners with other threads are getting a bump down in the process)

My reputation here is clean only because the Mods have thoroughly and completely deleted all evidence of wrong doings that I may have been party too. (and beleive me, I was).

Make me a deal on that Cougar, as my Ex-Treme 330 3D now has a "two peice" fuze, a "see through rib" on one wingtip, and the ever popular "one size fits any" splintered motor mounting....uh.... area.

I dorked it in like a little noobie. I was so embarassed...and the walk of shame was at least 100 yards to go retrieve it. It always helps to have a buddy go with ya to carry the pieces back....sorta like sharing the load (of shame) so to speak.
Old May 25, 2004, 09:45 PM
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Well the wind died for a breif moment tonight and I was able to maiden the Mini3d.

I used the motor mounting method that was in Fly RC magazine and found it has a little vibration at a certain RPm that goes away as you increase the throttle. I think I will switch to AtlantaE's method after SEFF.

The 2820 with the 12x8 is pulling around 30 amps. The batteries were pretty warm after the flight even though I only used full power at take off. I think I need more cooling and drop the prop to an 11x5.5 even though the 12 is fun. Cg is about 110 mm from LE.

Here goes:
In a tall grass field I applied full throttle and gave it a gentle toss. Only one click of right was required and perfectly trimmed. On low rates it flies like a trainer. Slow rolls, inverted needs a little down but not much, big fat loops at 1/2 throttle. Stalls are dead straight ahead. Knife edge has a little pitch to the canopy but needs very little rudder howver it does try to roll out slightly.
Okay, I'm bored, time for dual rates. Set for the MFG suggested throws for 3d, except for the rudder which I have at full deflection.
Roll rate is fast, full speed is needed for max roll rate which is not as fast as the video so I may need longer servo arms. I am using the long red servo arms that have been cut down to minimum weight. Loops are tight, very tight so I tried a couple of waterfalls and they are dead straight, cool. Harriers after exit and yep, its as stable as the video, more waterfalls. Slow roll to inverted yields very stable inverted harrier, but I have more throw down than up so I did an inverted water fall when I did not mean to...again straight ahead. Pulled into a hover at 3/4 throttle and I over controlled the rudder on the first try. The rudder is VERY effective. hover is easy with the long tail moment and rearward CG.
Exit hover inverted harrier. Another waterfall. roll right side up and do several flat turns, each tighter than the last. Some aileron correction required to keep out the unintentional roll. The nose tries to dip pretty severely on tight slow turns.

More slow flight, ruder and elevator manuvers and I have burned 9 minutes.
Landing in tall grass is slow and I think this is another plane that will autoland for you if you setup in a stable approach.

This plane is going to be a HOOT I can tell you. It was too dark to do blenders or any high up starting manuvers as the covering on the ailerons becomes transparent when back lit and you cant really tell which way is up. I will add some more visibility stripes for dusk flying. Daylight it will be no problem to tell which way is up with the stock covering.

Chris H...This is a goody! Cant wait to see the Yak.

I may have some video this weekend.

Kirby
Last edited by kepople; May 25, 2004 at 09:50 PM.
Old May 26, 2004, 08:36 AM
E-Flight Addict
Weatherford, Tx.
Joined Oct 2003
1,329 Posts
Way to go Kirby ! My 2820/10 draws around 38 amps using a 12x8 APC E prop on 4S2P TP li-pos, but drops down to 26-27 amps on a 11x5.5 . I am going to build Misi's E-xtreme in the 36" version for mine, until then it's in a Kavan "Fun Dog" foam combat plane for these high winds we have had lately.

You coming to LMRC Friday night? Sure would like to drool over the Mini-3d if you do show up.

Rick
ronin8451 is offline Find More Posts by ronin8451